Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nft basics

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,573 Times

Default Nft basics

I’m wondering about changing/upgrading my set up so I’ve been looking into nft systems, read the stickies a few times now haha

Main questions regarding these set ups are;

Water and humidity, won’t having a tank full of water (sealed I know) in the tent play havoc with humidity? It’s only just dropped here due to the weather and I struggled as it was in soil all summer. Also temperatures, low I’m assuming a fish tank type heater will do? Obviously a chiller if warm.

Plant number vs space per plant? I’m currently running 4 in soil in a 1mx2m tent, in my current space I’m thinking 2 or at a push maybe the 4 in nft as all I read claim the plants will be bigger and grow faster in nft? Either that or upgrade the tent as I don’t want to over crowd the area... also a friend advised possibly 2 smaller separate tanks for 4 plants? So I’m torn between the Gt424 or (possibly 2, 205’s...)

Air stones, is it worth running one in the tank as I’ve not read anyone doing so?

What with having to be spot on with Ph and ec levels, are there alternative kits to say bluelab etc? I don’t mind spending the money if needs be.

I’m literally only at a homework stage at the moment, I think some new quantum boards would go down well too. Also wondering how easy it is to make the system as I’ve got most the hardware left from old fish tanks...

Anyone with any advice or pointers to things I’m missing and not thought of (there’s gonna be loads) is more than appreciated.

Awesome info on here already

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _teapot_ For This Useful Post:

Farmshop (24-09-18), GEORGE (29-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,526 Times

Evening teapot. I'll throw out my bit on NFT systems, and how I ran mine.
    I used 2 424s in a 1.2x1.2 tent, my advice would be to throw away the black sheet that comes with the system and buy some kingspan sheets and cut to fit. Tape it to the top tray once they start to take off in the tray.
    Leave out the air stone, it just messes with the ph, you get enough oxygen from the water falling off the tray at the bottom end. When you put the spreader mat on, let it hang over the back a few inch so you some get the trickling sound as the pump runs.
    5.5ph and adjust once it get to 6.2. Always try and not let it run above that.
    I like to start my cuts/seeds in the jiffie pellets, they fit perfect in to the grodan blocks. Make sure they get plenty of roots on the block before they go into the system otherwise it will just take a while longer for them to get going. If you have any clay pebbles, put four under the blocks so that there is a gap between the mat and block, this stops it from getting soaked. Also make sure the grooves follow the water flow.
    I never bothered with a heater or a dehumidifier and never ran into problems.
    Alot of people and internet guides say to have the timer on 24/7. I never did and my pal doesn't either. For the 1st and second week it was 15min on 30min off. Then 15mins on 15 off untill week 5/6 then I did 15 on 10 off untill chop. Try to make them roots come busting out of the block to search for the feed.
    I put 2 plants in each tray, and even after a 3 week veg, I had roots up at the pump, the 205s could possibly get blocked from the root mass. I used the bluelab stick, I'm guessing you could buy something that monitors the ph and ec, but it depends on if you want or have the cash.
    I change the feed pipe aswell, instead of it just being a single outlet I fashioned a Y splitter on the end so the first block didn't take the full force of the pump.
    That write up might be abit mixed up, but I've been smoking 😂✌
    "To live is to risk it all. Otherwise you're just an inert chunk of randomly assembled molecules drifting wherever the universe blows you."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

Blue (24-09-18), GEORGE (29-09-18), _teapot_ (24-09-18)

Thanks

Default Nft basics

Quote Originally Posted by Farmshop View Post
    Evening teapot. I'll throw out my bit on NFT systems, and how I ran mine.
    I used 2 424s in a 1.2x1.2 tent, my advice would be to throw away the black sheet that comes with the system and buy some kingspan sheets and cut to fit. Tape it to the top tray once they start to take off in the tray.
    Leave out the air stone, it just messes with the ph, you get enough oxygen from the water falling off the tray at the bottom end. When you put the spreader mat on, let it hang over the back a few inch so you some get the trickling sound as the pump runs.
    5.5ph and adjust once it get to 6.2. Always try and not let it run above that.
    I like to start my cuts/seeds in the jiffie pellets, they fit perfect in to the grodan blocks. Make sure they get plenty of roots on the block before they go into the system otherwise it will just take a while longer for them to get going. If you have any clay pebbles, put four under the blocks so that there is a gap between the mat and block, this stops it from getting soaked. Also make sure the grooves follow the water flow.
    I never bothered with a heater or a dehumidifier and never ran into problems.
    Alot of people and internet guides say to have the timer on 24/7. I never did and my pal doesn't either. For the 1st and second week it was 15min on 30min off. Then 15mins on 15 off untill week 5/6 then I did 15 on 10 off untill chop. Try to make them roots come busting out of the block to search for the feed.
    I put 2 plants in each tray, and even after a 3 week veg, I had roots up at the pump, the 205s could possibly get blocked from the root mass. I used the bluelab stick, I'm guessing you could buy something that monitors the ph and ec, but it depends on if you want or have the cash.
    I change the feed pipe aswell, instead of it just being a single outlet I fashioned a Y splitter on the end so the first block didn't take the full force of the pump.
    That write up might be abit mixed up, but I've been smoking 😂✌
    That’s spot on thank you sir, so was that 2 plants in each?

Oh yes the trays look sh*te even in eBay pictures- I’ve a few ideas for that myself.

So when you talk about the timer is that for the water pump? I assume the roots and tray would hold some water while it’s not pumping?

Regarding the outlet on the top tray, I was thinking of making a tube that crosses the whole width of the tray with a few holes in?

Fair play on the air stone, and the same friend recommended the pellets to start in as they fit.

I’m thinking of ways to secure the blocks on the tray other than just sitting lose in the hole if anyone’s already done similar?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _teapot_ For This Useful Post:

Farmshop (24-09-18), GEORGE (29-09-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _teapot_ View Post
    That’s spot on thank you sir, so was that 2 plants in each?

Oh yes the trays look sh*te even in eBay pictures- I’ve a few ideas for that myself.

So when you talk about the timer is that for the water pump? I assume the roots and tray would hold some water while it’s not pumping?

Regarding the outlet on the top tray, I was thinking of making a tube that crosses the whole width of the tray with a few holes in?

Fair play on the air stone, and the same friend recommended the pellets to start in as they fit.

I’m thinking of ways to secure the blocks on the tray other than just sitting lose in the hole if anyone’s already done similar?
    Yes bud for the water pump, I think you could buy a manifold of some sort if you searched the bay. Or your idea of a spreader bar would work. Yes mate the mat stays fairly damp when it's off.
    The 50mm kingspan sat on top of the top tray duct taped down, mark around the block then cut out so it's a nice tight fit. I then like to pit some tin foil or mylar sheet over the top to stop the light getting on the block and turning it green.
    You can also put a piece of sponge under the pump to stop it from vibrating when it's on.

What I should have said first is make sure that the front end is higher than the back. Get the spirit level out and make sure. I used a few lengths of carpet samples just to lift it up. You don't want the water pooling up anywhere.
    Fill up the system with plain tap water before you get going and have a 24hr test run. Check temps, make sure all water is flowing nicely. Once you get it cracked you'll never look back.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-09-18), _teapot_ (24-09-18)

Thanks

Yes bud for the water pump, I think you could buy a manifold of some sort if you searched the bay. Or your idea of a spreader bar would work. Yes mate the mat stays fairly damp when it's off.
    The 50mm kingspan sat on top of the top tray duct taped down, mark around the block then cut out so it's a nice tight fit. I then like to pit some tin foil or mylar sheet over the top to stop the light getting on the block and turning it green.
    You can also put a piece of sponge under the pump to stop it from vibrating when it's on.

What I should have said first is make sure that the front end is higher than the back. Get the spirit level out and make sure. I used a few lengths of carpet samples just to lift it up. You don't want the water pooling up anywhere.
    Fill up the system with plain tap water before you get going and have a 24hr test run. Check temps, make sure all water is flowing nicely. Once you get it cracked you'll never look back.
    That’s ideal you’re a star sir.

50mm’s gonna be pretty solid then isn’t it, I’ll look into that... I saw the pics with the holes covered, hadn’t thought of that with light leaks, read a thread someone mentioned cutting the pipe on the pump to raise it off the bed of the tank slightly? Stopping the vibration.

I assumed the top trays were angled until I read one side needs propping up haha, simple things hey

I’ll definitely have a dry run and to be honest practice getting the levels right as it’s all new to me.

Still unsure weather to keep it simple with one 205 or jump on 2 424’s like you’ve said

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _teapot_ For This Useful Post:

Farmshop (25-09-18), GEORGE (29-09-18)

Thanks

That’s ideal you’re a star sir.

50mm’s gonna be pretty solid then isn’t it, I’ll look into that... I saw the pics with the holes covered, hadn’t thought of that with light leaks, read a thread someone mentioned cutting the pipe on the pump to raise it off the bed of the tank slightly? Stopping the vibration.

I assumed the top trays were angled until I read one side needs propping up haha, simple things hey

I’ll definitely have a dry run and to be honest practice getting the levels right as it’s all new to me.

Still unsure weather to keep it simple with one 205 or jump on 2 424’s like you’ve said
    Yeah it's rock solid bud, at the end were the flap would be just cut the slab and tape up 1 side to create the hinge.
    You can cut the pipe but then the weight will be hung off the tray, possibly still vibrating.
    The top trays are angled but I just liked yo make sure it was running off properly.
    If I was you I'd buy 1 424 and run 1 or two plants. They grow big and fast and a support net is a must!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-09-18), _teapot_ (25-09-18)

Thanks

Yeah it's rock solid bud, at the end were the flap would be just cut the slab and tape up 1 side to create the hinge.
    You can cut the pipe but then the weight will be hung off the tray, possibly still vibrating.
    The top trays are angled but I just liked yo make sure it was running off properly.
    If I was you I'd buy 1 424 and run 1 or two plants. They grow big and fast and a support net is a must!
    That’s all awesome info thanks dude, and regarding the vibrating I’ll stick with some heavy duty sponge or similar then...

Looks like a local shop will give away off cuts too so that’ll help.

Sounds like pay days gonna take a hit this month then haha

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _teapot_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just bought a black orchid 120 tent and the local shop seems to have the best deal for the complete 424 kit 😊

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _teapot_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just bought a black orchid 120 tent and the local shop seems to have the best deal for the complete 424 kit 😊
    I saw the 424 kit on the bay delivered for 59.99. They also do 1 big tray which fits perfect into a 1.2

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's the gt100. Big ole unit mind. 120l res 🙈

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmshop For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast