Thread: first time grower few questions

Thanks

Default first time grower few questions

hi I a am going to be starting my first grow in a few weeks when everything has been bought but I wanted to know a few things about nutrients.

I don't know if I should grow in soil or coco, if i was to grow In soil do I still need to use nutrients? my plan is to use 3 nutrients which are micro, grow, bloom, and also use cal mag, I am growing auto flower nothern lights picked up the seeds in Amsterdam from sensi seeds, ive seen online people saying that you don't have to use as much nutes because soil has there own and it also ph balances its self?, kinda getting confused haha, I know that coco has no nutes so it's better to control so really just need some ideas or opinions on both really , I'm from the UK and going it be doing a indoor grow .I have seen a full guide on growing nothern lights from start to harvest so that's gonna be a good base for me to look at throughout my first grow but as I said any help on either soil or coco would be much appreciated

sorry if this has been answered a million times haha

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryan2293 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-10-18), ggotch (07-10-18), Greengrass (06-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

If you are growing in Soil, make sure your Soil PH is correct before planting. There are ways of lowering and riseing the PH of the Soil if needed. You can google all that makes for a good read and videos. If you start off with the correct Soil PH, you shouldn't ever have any problems with Cal mag. I never have, and it seems to be a big problem for some people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soil PH.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	366621  

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Soil tends to be the easier medium for the starter to use. OK, you tend to get better results in coco but it requires measuring the feed strength & the PH to keep things optimum
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-10-18), Spartacuss (09-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,042 Times

I am also a UK grower and started with Plant magic soil and also there Grow and Bloom nutrients, they are very good imo if your new to growing. I also mixed the soil 70/30 with perlite. The soil had enough nutrients in it for the best part of 3 weeks. I personally would not bother with any other nutrients other than Grow and bloom until you have a couple of grows and remember less is more.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cont3 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-18), MonsterEnergy (09-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

I'm currently in flower with some sensi NL autos in coco. It's only my 2nd grow. 1st was in soil but I can't compare the plants cause I wasn't on thetalk for my 1st grow so it sucked.
    As for coco... I find it to be less prone to bugs (in my limited experience). Needs watering more often and takes a while each time to get the mix right. Gotta check and adjust ec and ph of feeds and drain and again check ec and ph of runoff. Mine are about 5 weeks into flowering in 11 ltr fabric pots and each guzzles 3 to 4 litres of feed each feed. Soils preloaded with enough nutes to get you to flowering before you need to add any usually... tho if you get hot soil and have to flush to avoid nute burn then maybe nutes would then be needed.
    As I'm unemployed I have the time, but I can see how soil would be easier and less maintenance.
    Last edited by Silkadin; 08-10-18 at 11:52 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,186 Times

Plant magic old timers is the best imo..
    I am everyone and i am no one.

2 x CBD Lemon Potion Auto and 2 x LSD Auto
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...d-2-x-LSD-Auto(finished)

SeedStockers BCN Critical XXL Autoflowering Feminised
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...ring-Feminised(finished with 6oz)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2wasted For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-10-18), MonsterEnergy (09-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2293 View Post
    hi I a am going to be starting my first grow in a few weeks when everything has been bought but I wanted to know a few things about nutrients.

I don't know if I should grow in soil or coco, if i was to grow In soil do I still need to use nutrients? my plan is to use 3 nutrients which are micro, grow, bloom, and also use cal mag, I am growing auto flower nothern lights picked up the seeds in Amsterdam from sensi seeds, ive seen online people saying that you don't have to use as much nutes because soil has there own and it also ph balances its self?, kinda getting confused haha, I know that coco has no nutes so it's better to control so really just need some ideas or opinions on both really , I'm from the UK and going it be doing a indoor grow .I have seen a full guide on growing nothern lights from start to harvest so that's gonna be a good base for me to look at throughout my first grow but as I said any help on either soil or coco would be much appreciated

sorry if this has been answered a million times haha
    I agree with M_C on the fact that the soil will be the easier to grow in if you are new, espcially with autoflowers. Make sure whatever guide you have been reading is not a nutrient schedule for photos because autos do not need near the nutrients photos do. A lot of which nutrients you will use will also depend on what kind of soil that you plan on using. All autos that I've grown have made it about 3-4weeks before I had to add anything. I've grown several N lights autos and the only thing I fed them were slight grow nutes, like once throughout the grow, then slight bloom. You probably will never use the micro nutes, and usually when they start to flower and stretch you'll maybe add some calmag--but again not much at all. Autos do not respond well to nutrient burn and almost never fully recover from the small grow window they have. Its better to definitely under feed them than overfeed or yield will most def suffer..

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spartacuss For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-10-18), M_C (09-10-18)