Thread: Iron justice closed loop bho thread..

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,585 Times

Default Iron justice closed loop bho thread..

So I’m going to be making a lot of shatter up over the next week so thought I would get a post up so people can see exactly how I do things..

Firstly I use a closed loop system, this is a pressurised rig that reclaims the butane afterwards... these are not cheap, and not essential.. you can make good shatter without them, but the quality of the product is better using one alongside dry ice and quality butane.

Disclaimer..

THIS IS NOT A HIW TO GUIDE, DO NOT COPY MY ACTIONS AS HIS IS MERELY FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES. I AM NOT ADVISING ANYONE TO DO THIS AT HOME!!

So the way o do things is known as a passing closed loop system. This means that o have no pump to reclaim the solvent back into the tank at the end, instead I use thermodynamics to distill the solvent back into the reclamation tank. Here is a list of the items I am using.

Closed loop system - 6” diameter collection tank and chamber, selection of material tubes and fittings
    4cfm 2 stage vacuum pump
    14l chamber with lid
    Hoses
    Heat pad and digital thermostat
    Parchment paper
    Dry ice (optional)
    Infrared thermometer
    Scrappers and razor blades
    Newport butane

So a couple of things before we get stared.. firstly volume... you need 20% for expansion, so say you have a 1000ml tank, you can run 800ml gas in this.. if there is no room for expansion then it really causes problems.
    Secondly, I am using quality butane with no impurity’s in it.. this is very important!
    Also I am not saying this is the only way to do it!! There are lots of ways, this is the way I’m happy with.. I get great yield and results...

I will be giving the system a clean shortly and I will take some pictures of all the tools I will be using!

Peace IJ

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

AND (12-10-18), CityDweller (12-10-18), GEORGE (04-04-19), Ginger-bud (14-10-18), M_C (12-10-18), _teapot_ (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

I'll keep an eye on this... I considered closed loop once but never did it
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

AND (12-10-18), CityDweller (12-10-18), GEORGE (04-04-19), ironjustice (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

I should stay away from this thread. I enjoy spending money a bit too much and what I see I want.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

AND (12-10-18), GEORGE (04-04-19), ironjustice (12-10-18), M_C (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    I should stay away from this thread. I enjoy spending money a bit too much and what I see I want.
    Yeah, that can become a problem, too late for me too now

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (12-10-18), GEORGE (04-04-19), ironjustice (12-10-18), M_C (12-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    Except this is to make shatter... I would buy the equipment.. make the shatter just to be able to and then go back to smoking my water hash.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

AND (12-10-18), GEORGE (04-04-19), ironjustice (12-10-18), M_C (12-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I'll keep an eye on this... I considered closed loop once but never did it
    I used open blasting and then pressurised columns for a long time and have only recently moved onto closed loop... so far the benefits are a better yield, less wasted butane, more consistent end product... if you already have a vacuum purging chamber and pump, you can get a basic closed loop like mine for about £500 which is the cost of a few oz of green... I can basically do the majority of the work inside, and only have to burp the canisters outside.. still have to be careful and keeping everything clean is the key...

Haha yeah well you and me both mate.. hopefully this doesn’t end up costing you much lol

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    Yep and me lol

Except this is to make shatter... I would buy the equipment.. make the shatter just to be able to and then go back to smoking my water hash.
    Shatter is great if you want to either bong it or vape it, if you prefer smoking in joints I’d say stick to bubble hash... just my opinion though!

Ok so I’m going to do a run of some dinamex popcorn and trim I had in the freezer for a year... I haven’t got dry ice right now so I’m going to be using regular ice which is fine, not as good but it does the job nicely all the same.. I’ll be using an 18” tube which you can get a fair amount of material in.. and I have 400ml of butane already in the first can... I will take some pictures of the gear and as I am doing the prep work.. I’m hoping to get between 7-10g of this one run, but this may mean processing it twice to make sure I get it all...

Peace IJ

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

AND (12-10-18), CityDweller (15-10-18), GEORGE (04-04-19), M_C (12-10-18)

Thanks

So I got distracted half way through doing the run as I could hear a leak somewhere in the system... so I had to stick the whole thing in the bath to see where it was coming from.. after that I was just trying to be as fast as I could to get it done, I have dry ice coming on Tuesday though along with a blasting tube extension so I will do a full on step by step then... this is a lesson though, always check your system.. glad I did, or I would have had butane leaking all the way though the run!

My new gasket should be here Monday so I will do a step by step going through all the kit used.. what you should have on hand just incase, namely spare gaskets lol and some other things..

One thing I want to say though is that good shatter can be any colour and so can bad.. I have had some of the nicest shatter ever and it was very dark almost black, but it was from very old well cured buds.. and some of the best looking shatter has been crap that’s full of butane still but just looks pretty... my point is if it’s purged right, handled right, and made from quality bud.. then it will be decent, you won’t get good shatter from shit bud... the proverbial silk purse from a sows ear, just not going to happen.. although it might be better used as a concentrate than poor quality bud..

Also waste not want not.. none of my mates make anything from their trim... so I get the lot given to me, I just give them half the yield back.. that way I get a load of free shatter and they get some from something they were throwing away... from trim I get about 10% yield tops... from bud the highest I have gotten back was 20% but that’s not winterised so it will have some waxes and lipids floating about.. I like to make it from bud, but I find it plenty good enough from popcorn buds and trim.

Peace.. IJ

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

AND (14-10-18), Benson123 (03-04-19), CityDweller (15-10-18), GEORGE (04-04-19), Ginger-bud (14-10-18), M_C (14-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,284 Times

BUMP
    What happened to this thread?
    It's nice to be nice.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Benson123 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-04-19)