Thread: Organic Growing Made Easy

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,313 Times

Default Organic Growing Made Easy

I'm part way through a coco grow and while it's going ok it's a major time commitment to mix nutrients and water everyday. I've been researching and listening to podcasts and I'm confident I can create a soil that will require the occasional top dress or tea, but mainly water only.

Here's the plan for 1 cubic foot (7.5G gallons) I found this online so it's not my original idea. I did make a couple adjustments. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like the link.

Base mix:
    1 part compost (I have a good bin the backyard that's ready to rock) Earth worm casting would work too
    1 part perlite/horticulutral pumice
    1 part coco (peat moss would work too)
    1 cup of lime

Ammendments:
    1 cup of kelp meal
    1 cup of organic granular tomatoe feed (lots of options)
    1 cup of crushed malted barley
    4 cups of rock dust (lots of choices but I'm using glacial rock dust)

Going to mix it up and let it sit for about 4-6 weeks.

I'll be using compost and sea/kelp meal to top dress and the kelp to make teas. I found a great way to use the kelp on KIS organics website which I would suggest checking out if you're into organics.

I'll be starting my seeds in a peat moss and compost mix and once the plants are ready I'll transplant into the soil mix. Mixing my soil today and will document my results.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (24-10-20), Dr Green (18-02-19), gardro (20-10-18), Gaz (28-12-18), GEORGE (16-08-19), ggotch (20-10-18), happyjack (21-04-19), IceCalibur (12-09-19), WF420 (20-10-18)

Thanks

This mix is working out quite well. I'm using it in a current diary https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...orthern-Lights

I've since picked up a few more things and mixing up a new batch for my next run. From there the soil will be reused over and over. New items in my tool box include;

-Neem, Karanja, Oyster Shell and Alfafa.
    -Activated EM1 (effective microbes) after using this I'm a believer. You can get similar results from compost tea as well. This is just so much easier for me.

The new mix will be as follows (per cubic foot)

Base mix:
    1 part EWC
    1 part Pumice
    1 part coco
    1 cup of lime (not sure I need it to be honest)

Amendments:
    1 cup of kelp meal
    1 cup of organic granular tomato feed
    1/2 cup neem/karanja mix (70/30)
    1/2 cup alfafa Meal
    2 cups of glacial rock dust
    2 cups of oyster shell flour

Mixing all this up in a 72l tote (aiming for about 60 liters of soil) to run a single plant in and then lightly amend between grows. I also have a worm bin going and I'm waiting for the little guys to multiply in numbers a little more so they can keep me in full supply for top dressing and teas if need be. My current grow I made a few mistakes and the only female plant I had ended up going in flower in a 3 gallons. I've top dressed it and will again soon and I think I'll get to harvest. The key with that working in my opinion is using microbes to help with nutrient cycling.

Anyone interested in a living soil mix should definitely give it a go. It's pretty straight forward and if you screw the ratios up a bit it's not going to ruin anything. Grow in a large enough container and you won't have any problems. Local farm feed stores are a great spot to get cheap amendments. The cost to mix over 80 liters of soil (which is more than enough for my small grow and then some) was less than some advanced nutrients 3 part that I bought and you can use it over and over. That also leaves me with lots of options to top dress with if I think my plants need a boost. If you plan to grow this way you'll need to think ahead a bit and I'm just in the infancy stages of my journey but there's no looking back.

Stay tuned for updates of the new mix

NO BOTTLE FULL THROTTLE

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (24-10-20), dynamite2144 (21-04-19), GEORGE (16-08-19), IceCalibur (12-09-19), MrC (09-02-21), supremeweeder (21-01-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,260 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sourshoes View Post
    This mix is working out quite well. I'm using it in a current diary https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...orthern-Lights

I've since picked up a few more things and mixing up a new batch for my next run. From there the soil will be reused over and over. New items in my tool box include;

-Neem, Karanja, Oyster Shell and Alfafa.
    -Activated EM1 (effective microbes) after using this I'm a believer. You can get similar results from compost tea as well. This is just so much easier for me.

The new mix will be as follows (per cubic foot)

Base mix:
    1 part EWC
    1 part Pumice
    1 part coco
    1 cup of lime (not sure I need it to be honest)

Amendments:
    1 cup of kelp meal
    1 cup of organic granular tomato feed
    1/2 cup neem/karanja mix (70/30)
    1/2 cup alfafa Meal
    2 cups of glacial rock dust
    2 cups of oyster shell flour

Mixing all this up in a 72l tote (aiming for about 60 liters of soil) to run a single plant in and then lightly amend between grows. I also have a worm bin going and I'm waiting for the little guys to multiply in numbers a little more so they can keep me in full supply for top dressing and teas if need be. My current grow I made a few mistakes and the only female plant I had ended up going in flower in a 3 gallons. I've top dressed it and will again soon and I think I'll get to harvest. The key with that working in my opinion is using microbes to help with nutrient cycling.

Anyone interested in a living soil mix should definitely give it a go. It's pretty straight forward and if you screw the ratios up a bit it's not going to ruin anything. Grow in a large enough container and you won't have any problems. Local farm feed stores are a great spot to get cheap amendments. The cost to mix over 80 liters of soil (which is more than enough for my small grow and then some) was less than some advanced nutrients 3 part that I bought and you can use it over and over. That also leaves me with lots of options to top dress with if I think my plants need a boost. If you plan to grow this way you'll need to think ahead a bit and I'm just in the infancy stages of my journey but there's no looking back.

Stay tuned for updates of the new mix

NO BOTTLE FULL THROTTLE
    Thanks for sharing, would love to see some pictures of the fruits

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dynamite2144 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-04-19), sourshoes (21-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite2144 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, would love to see some pictures of the fruits

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Check out my current diaries for more pics.

Not my original ideas just sharing info. Its so easy to grow this way. Little foresight and planning and you'll kill it.

Sent from space

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (11-07-19), Blue61 (24-10-20), GEORGE (21-04-19), IceCalibur (16-08-19), redisiel (21-04-19), WhIpLaSh (21-04-19)

Thanks

2nd cycle of this batch still going good. I keep 2 totes full and got back and forth.

No mixing nutes or worrying about ph. Microbes take care of that.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (24-10-20), GEORGE (16-08-19), IceCalibur (16-08-19)

Thanks

Sounds like a plan dude. I'm looking at recipes currently after a false start with soil. Be interested to see how you do

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supremeweeder For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-01-20), sourshoes (21-01-20)

Thanks

Mixed a new batch of soil tonight. Used a 5 gallon bucket for base mix measurements

Base mix (1 part equals 5 gallon bucket)
    2 parts coco
    1 part aeration (perlite/pumice)
    1 part fresh castings

Amendments
    1.5c karanja meal
    1.5c kelp meal
    1.5c malted barley

Mineral mix
    4 cups basalt
    2 cups volcanic minerals
    2 cups gypsum
    2 cups oyster shell flour

Next run will go in this and old soil will be mixed into what's not used.

Nothing like 5 gallons of fresh casting to use. You cannot beat it for a soil mix.

sent from space

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sourshoes For This Useful Post:

barney_b (01-12-21), Blue61 (24-10-20), gardro (23-10-20), GEORGE (23-10-20), IceCalibur (24-10-20)