Thread: Big Blooms

Thanks

Exclamation Big Blooms

RUSH R-DWC Review

I recently purchased a 6 pot system (Well, I actually ordered a 4 pot system and after a couple of weeks of delays, they delivered a 6 pot system). I had heard a lot of positive things about the recirculating system and as I began using it these became relevant. On the plus side, it is well built however the instructions fail to tell you to connect the stop-tap, so this I now have over as I didn’t realise until I had filled the system. Other positives include the stability of nutrients and ph, once set they hardly fluctuated. The biggest of all is the potential size of the plants you are able to grow and the fact that you only need half the recommended amount of nutrients than other systems use. In fact, I am using less than half the recommended volumes as suggested by Canna.

So to the negatives and these are becoming apparent, the more I use the system. Firstly, the system comes supplied with rigid connecting pipes (large bore) and it wasn’t until I bought and began using the system, was I infirmed you can specify different length of connecting pipes. None of the blurb refers to this and even the good people at Growell failed to tell me. I spoke to the manufacturers about this and the young lady spoke to simply confirmed there were different lengths but was unable to provide any further information other than to speak to a stockist.

By far the most frustrating issues are draining the system to change nutrients. I connected a hose to the recirculating pump. It was fiddly as the brain pot is rather small, but I achieved a good connection. First thing I realised was the pressure of water exiting the system was very low. I had expected it to drain reasonably quickly given the size of the pump. Upon investigation, I discovered the system was becoming blocked by the grow of roots in the two end pots that then were sucked by the water pressure into the outlet manifold (this then reduces significantly as it returns to the recirculating pump). I am sure I recalled in the advertising blurb that the system was blockage free. So, once the blockage was removed, the water drained more freely. Now again, he comes the next problem. The recirculating pump will not remove all water from the system. I checked every tank and there was at least 4-6 cms of water in each. I then had to but another pump and individually drain each tank.

Finally, the reservoir supplied is a flex-tank, which is well built but gravity feeds the main system. Now, this works fine until you have approximately 25 litres left and after that it will not supply the main system. I guess I need to raise the flexi-tank to a higher position, but by virtue of the fact it is a flexi-tank I am a little reticent about doing this, so end ladling extra nutrients in to the system by hand.

Given the price tag of £730, would I buy another system? The answer is possibly as the other alternative is the Alien R-DWC system, which is more expensive and I would guess may have similar flaws.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HowellingBloke For This Useful Post:

Jeff (20-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

Quote Originally Posted by HowellingBloke View Post
    RUSH R-DWC Review

I recently purchased a 6 pot system (Well, I actually ordered a 4 pot system and after a couple of weeks of delays, they delivered a 6 pot system). I had heard a lot of positive things about the recirculating system and as I began using it these became relevant. On the plus side, it is well built however the instructions fail to tell you to connect the stop-tap, so this I now have over as I didn’t realise until I had filled the system. Other positives include the stability of nutrients and ph, once set they hardly fluctuated. The biggest of all is the potential size of the plants you are able to grow and the fact that you only need half the recommended amount of nutrients than other systems use. In fact, I am using less than half the recommended volumes as suggested by Canna.

So to the negatives and these are becoming apparent, the more I use the system. Firstly, the system comes supplied with rigid connecting pipes (large bore) and it wasn’t until I bought and began using the system, was I infirmed you can specify different length of connecting pipes. None of the blurb refers to this and even the good people at Growell failed to tell me. I spoke to the manufacturers about this and the young lady spoke to simply confirmed there were different lengths but was unable to provide any further information other than to speak to a stockist.

By far the most frustrating issues are draining the system to change nutrients. I connected a hose to the recirculating pump. It was fiddly as the brain pot is rather small, but I achieved a good connection. First thing I realised was the pressure of water exiting the system was very low. I had expected it to drain reasonably quickly given the size of the pump. Upon investigation, I discovered the system was becoming blocked by the grow of roots in the two end pots that then were sucked by the water pressure into the outlet manifold (this then reduces significantly as it returns to the recirculating pump). I am sure I recalled in the advertising blurb that the system was blockage free. So, once the blockage was removed, the water drained more freely. Now again, he comes the next problem. The recirculating pump will not remove all water from the system. I checked every tank and there was at least 4-6 cms of water in each. I then had to but another pump and individually drain each tank.

Finally, the reservoir supplied is a flex-tank, which is well built but gravity feeds the main system. Now, this works fine until you have approximately 25 litres left and after that it will not supply the main system. I guess I need to raise the flexi-tank to a higher position, but by virtue of the fact it is a flexi-tank I am a little reticent about doing this, so end ladling extra nutrients in to the system by hand.

Given the price tag of £730, would I buy another system? The answer is possibly as the other alternative is the Alien R-DWC system, which is more expensive and I would guess may have similar flaws.
    I put together an rdwc system from scratch and spent about £75 on it. It leaked after 2 hours. I still have all the stuff and might fix it. I just switched to plain dwc for my 1st grow.

I'm happy enough with this. I'm getting decent results. The water change every week is a bit labor intensive. I'm thinking about going coco and grow bags next time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk