Thread: Super Soil Compacted?

Thanks

Default Super Soil Compacted?

Hi People,

I'm getting towards the end of my first cycle in a living soil mix, Its gone pretty well and I've learnt a LOT. I'm planning and preparing for the next run.

The mix is:

Compost, Worm Casts, Coco Coir & Buckwheat Hulls. With Basalt, Kelp, Krill, Neem, Gypsum and Fish Meal.

I notice my soil level in the 15 gal pot is quite a bit lower than it was. It seems to be compacted. I can feel some dryer spots clumped together. I read that this can happen with incorrect watering which doesn't surprise me. I went a bit mad training my indica plants in veg and they ended up really short which made it very difficult to get into the canopy and water the soil evenly. Especially at the back of my room where access is limited. I'm putting a Blumat drip system in next time to help keep top layer nice and moist.

I was thinking about breaking the soil up a bit but I was unsure if that would have a negative impact on the soil life or not?

If it's a good idea what's the best process?

Ps I am using worms. 200G per 15Gal pot went in.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Natral 'Erb For This Useful Post:

G' (01-11-18), GEORGE (30-10-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Natral 'Erb View Post
    Hi People,

I'm getting towards the end of my first cycle in a living soil mix, Its gone pretty well and I've learnt a LOT. I'm planning and preparing for the next run.

The mix is:

Compost, Worm Casts, Coco Coir & Buckwheat Hulls. With Basalt, Kelp, Krill, Neem, Gypsum and Fish Meal.

I notice my soil level in the 15 gal pot is quite a bit lower than it was. It seems to be compacted. I can feel some dryer spots clumped together. I read that this can happen with incorrect watering which doesn't surprise me. I went a bit mad training my indica plants in veg and they ended up really short which made it very difficult to get into the canopy and water the soil evenly. Especially at the back of my room where access is limited. I'm putting a Blumat drip system in next time to help keep top layer nice and moist.

I was thinking about breaking the soil up a bit but I was unsure if that would have a negative impact on the soil life or not?

If it's a good idea what's the best process?

Ps I am using worms. 200G per 15Gal pot went in.
    Breaking it up and giving it a mix up to loosen it shouldn’t be a problem.... as long as the roots ain’t in it

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

G' (01-11-18), GEORGE (30-10-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,830 Times

I know this is way too late but I've heard humic acid is a good soil softener. I'll use it should I decide to go soil in future
    When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Gypsum will break up clumpy soils buddy add calcium and help release Mg binded to old Ca ions .

Add a bit of perlite in there also . Just re-fluff it up add a sprinkle of your amendmants like 1tsp per gal of all(1-2tblsp kelp) . Mix that all back up let it compost itself a few weeks .

Im quite high right now lol . Not sure this will make any sence at all

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk