Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Can anyone identify this?

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Probably springtail larvae, harmless to plants, but I'm not 100% , I used to get similar looking things when I watered in coco.
    Yer I’m thinking springtails too, millions of them float to the surface when you water. And only on the medium not the plant. I’d say springtails, look for silvery spit looking patches on the leaves, if you find any, treat for thrips. If it’s springtails, leave them be, they’ll cause no bother

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (09-11-18), lipnobody (09-11-18), Loki (09-11-18), _teapot_ (09-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,573 Times

I had full blown thrips last run and pretty sure I was clear. These don’t seem to be on the actual plants at all and there’s no signs of the silvery patches anywhere. Hopping for the best as they’re only a week or two off I think

4. The Following User Says Thank You to _teapot_ For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (09-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Probably springtail larvae, harmless to plants, but I'm not 100% , I used to get similar looking things when I watered in coco.
    Yeah. Photo is a bit blurry on details to be sure but more likely springtails.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

_teapot_ (09-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _teapot_ View Post
    I had full blown thrips last run and pretty sure I was clear. These don’t seem to be on the actual plants at all and there’s no signs of the silvery patches anywhere. Hopping for the best as they’re only a week or two off I think
    With thrips you will definitly see the leaf damage and you will see the thrips on the leaves if you look close.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

_teapot_ (09-11-18)

Thanks

One way to check for thrips is to lay a yellow stick trap under the plant and give it a shake. The thrips fall off the leaves and onto the yellow paper where they are easier to examine with the loup.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

lipnobody (09-11-18), _teapot_ (09-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,075 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Yer I’m thinking springtails too, millions of them float to the surface when you water. And only on the medium not the plant. I’d say springtails, look for silvery spit looking patches on the leaves, if you find any, treat for thrips. If it’s springtails, leave them be, they’ll cause no bother
    ditto mackys advice, if youve not had any patching on leaves you should be okay dude
    skin it roll it lick it twist it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lipnobody For This Useful Post:

_teapot_ (09-11-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    One way to check for thrips is to lay a yellow stick trap under the plant and give it a shake. The thrips fall off the leaves and onto the yellow paper where they are easier to examine with the loup.
    I find just a standard piece of white paper is good. You can see if anything falls easier. And much cheaper tha. A sticky trap lol. Defo the best way to check for bugs! Half hour checking over the plant, or five seconds of a good shake.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (10-11-18), _teapot_ (09-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Farmshop View Post
    Could be from anywhere mate. I've started to avoid flowers in the supermarket, well the pot grown ones. Once you notice bug damage it's hard not see.
    Yeah airpots are a no no in soil and I'm guessing you have learnt the hard way.
    Square or round plastic for soil. I wish I had used square with the ones I'm growing now. Round pots just don't fit together properly and lose to much space.
    fk all wrong with airpots for soil,all ive ever used

just need to learn them ,n if a fick cnut like me can do it,anyone can.

never blame your tools applies as much to growing as anything else in life

im covered as i can always blame my memory

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,075 Times

Quote Originally Posted by _teapot_ View Post
    I used square pots first time and thought I’d try these. Pain in the arse just for watering. Definitely going back to square ones till I go nft.
    bitta stiching down the sides bingo, square pots

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lipnobody For This Useful Post:

ggotch (14-11-18)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3