Thread: Growing your own seed reserves

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,169 Times

Default Growing your own seed reserves

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well!

I was watching a youtube vid by a lovely old timer called 'Chef Derek Butt', and he was harvesting his plants. With the first plant he cut the top of the plant off just above the bottom few branches and said he was leaving those branches / buds to grow seeds for later.

How does that work then??? lol

Seems like a great idea to keep some seeds in reserve for a later date. Also if it was from a femi plant, would the seeds also be fems?

I'm not experienced at all but Ive not come across that one before and Im intrigued

Thanks peeps

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Erby For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,740 Times

It sounds like he was going to let his plants hermie & attempt to produce seeds. If he lets them hermie that late, the seeds could be unusable due to the plant being close to the end, but, saying that, he could have kept it alive long enough to produce viable seeds. There are far better ways of making seeds, if you would like to know, feel free to ask.

The seeds produced wouldn't be fems, to make fem seeds requires a different process

"Bees don't waste time explaining to flies why honey is better than shit."

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

British green (28-11-18), Erby (28-11-18), Gaz (29-11-18), GEORGE (28-11-18)

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate, much appreciated

How does make it go hermie then, just keep it going on the 12/12 or do you need to do something else? I suppose I liked the idea of taking some seeds if I was impressed with how the plant had grown etc.

I presume if you want seeds then you just plant a batch of regular seeds, flower the ladies and grow the males seperatly somewhere and wait for the seeds??

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erby For This Useful Post:

Gaz (29-11-18), GEORGE (28-11-18), Loki (29-11-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,740 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Erby View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply mate, much appreciated

How does make it go hermie then, just keep it going on the 12/12 or do you need to do something else? I suppose I liked the idea of taking some seeds if I was impressed with how the plant had grown etc.

I presume if you want seeds then you just plant a batch of regular seeds, flower the ladies and grow the males seperatly somewhere and wait for the seeds??
    A lot of the time a plant will hermie if it's gone a couple of weeks past it flowertime, it's a last ditch attempt to pollinate & reproduce.
    If your impressed with a particular strain, it's best to take a cutting & grow that out, as it will be an exact replica of the original plant.
    If you grow out regs & separate the males, but save a good example to pollinate a female, you will get more regs but it could be different to the original female plant.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

Erby (29-11-18), GEORGE (29-11-18)

Thanks

Thanks Loki,

I suppose the issue for me was that I wont know its a good plant until harvest by which time it will be too late for cuttings (I think clones need to be taken no later than 2 weeks into budding roughly). Anyway thanks again, Im going to do a separate post about cloning as I think its a better way forward!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erby For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (29-11-18), Loki (29-11-18)

Thanks

Sorry for jumping on this but How’s does work?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to engineer1234 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-01-20)