Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Run to waste automatic drain

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Default Run to waste automatic drain

I made up a cheap and simple box to collect and drain the waste coming off my Coco pots if anyone's interested

There are commercially available set ups but the costs is a few hundred pounds. This set up is sub ?30

Any tupaware box
    2 float level sensors
    A small DC pump
    Tank connectors
    DPDT relay

Pots are made from cheal buckets cut down and tank connectors installed.

It's all plumber together with hoselock connectors and pipes for ease of use.

You do need to lift the pots just an inch so gravity takes the run off to the pump box. The pump then lifts the waste to whereever your drain is automatically.

The circuit is simple and just prevents the pump from constantly coming on by feeding back to itself

Let me know if you this is of any use to you and I can help source parts and talk through any bits of the build

I'm using a reservoir for feeding now which makes coco feeding a delight but this would work perfectly well with hand-fed. No more manual handling of run off!

Current diary
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...le-Sun-Led-Kit

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

AND (07-12-18), curiouscultivator (10-08-19), Erby (10-01-19), Farmshop (07-12-18), GasMan (08-01-19), Gaz (07-01-19), GEORGE (11-12-18), ggotch (10-01-19), HisHighness (17-12-18), Ironman (06-01-19), joker_the_smoker (18-01-19), Krofam (21-08-20), Mac (17-07-19), M_C (07-12-18), Sir Digby Chicken Caesar (10-02-20), Squaggy (30-08-19), Subterranean Man (08-12-18), toblue (25-01-19), umbongo (03-02-20), WhIpLaSh (07-12-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,068 Times

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    I made up a cheap and simple box to collect and drain the waste coming off my Coco pots if anyone's interested

There are commercially available set ups but the costs is a few hundred pounds. This set up is sub ?30

Any tupaware box
    2 float level sensors
    A small DC pump
    Tank connectors
    DPDT relay

Pots are made from cheal buckets cut down and tank connectors installed.

It's all plumber together with hoselock connectors and pipes for ease of use.

You do need to lift the pots just an inch so gravity takes the run off to the pump box. The pump then lifts the waste to whereever your drain is automatically.

The circuit is simple and just prevents the pump from constantly coming on by feeding back to itself

Let me know if you this is of any use to you and I can help source parts and talk through any bits of the build

I'm using a reservoir for feeding now which makes coco feeding a delight but this would work perfectly well with hand-fed. No more manual handling of run off!

Current diary
    Hey bro where did you get all the bits from? I’m gonna make one up next payday along with an auto feed. Is the pump noisy or not too bad? The plugs are mounting right up here haha.

I was gonna make one with a timer to come on for the same amount as the feed a minute after the feed starts but I can’t imagine it’s an exact science this makes more sense to have a switch in there to do it exact. Any info is massively appreciated mate thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GasMan For This Useful Post:

gardro (08-01-19), GEORGE (10-01-19), Krofam (21-08-20), vibezfoundation (21-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Hey bro where did you get all the bits from? I’m gonna make one up next payday along with an auto feed. Is the pump noisy or not too bad? The plugs are mounting right up here haha.

I was gonna make one with a timer to come on for the same amount as the feed a minute after the feed starts but I can’t imagine it’s an exact science this makes more sense to have a switch in there to do it exact. Any info is massively appreciated mate thanks

All the plumbing bits from toolstation

The level sensors and pump off eBay

Pump is nearly silent, it's a like 5 watts or something

Switches much more reliable than timer, stops pump burning out

Just have to occasionally empty that pump box out as shit starts growing in there. You could make it black but I like to keep eye in levels etc

Current diary

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

GasMan (09-01-19), GEORGE (10-01-19), ggotch (10-01-19), Krofam (21-08-20), Subterranean Man (08-01-19), tom222 (09-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    All the plumbing bits from toolstation

The level sensors and pump off eBay

Pump is nearly silent, it's a like 5 watts or something

Switches much more reliable than timer, stops pump burning out

Just have to occasionally empty that pump box out as shit starts growing in there. You could make it black but I like to keep eye in levels etc

Current diary
    Your a star I’ll check that out so much easier that way thanks mate

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GasMan For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-01-19), Ironman (10-01-19), Krofam (21-08-20)

Thanks

Any chance on a bit of advice on getting it wired up mate or s pic or something. Loads comes up when you google dpdt relay and relays ain’t my strongest point haha

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GasMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Could I not run the float switch on the live wire mate or is that a bit naughty?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GasMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

I'm nearly there mate, just waiting on the power supply and I'm off.

I have bought every item needed except the hose pipe. When I've finished, I'll work out the costings. It's the buckets that are costing the money. They are 4 quid each ffs. You can get cheaper but the size is the issue with the cheaper ones, they seem to be much smaller at the base compared to the rim. Once they are cut to the right height they are not wide enough lol.

Sent from Thames Iron works

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

gardro (10-01-19), GasMan (10-01-19), GEORGE (10-01-19), Krofam (21-08-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Could I not run the float switch on the live wire mate or is that a bit naughty?

How you getting on Gasman? Are you doing a 4 pot system as well?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

gardro (10-01-19), GasMan (10-01-19), GEORGE (10-01-19), Krofam (21-08-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

I have bought every item needed except the hose pipe. When I've finished, I'll work out the costings. It's the buckets that are costing the money. They are 4 quid each ffs. You can get cheaper but the size is the issue with the cheaper ones, they seem to be much smaller at the base compared to the rim. Once they are cut to the right height they are not wide enough lol.

That’ll be spot on mate. I was looking last night at the rhizo bases and then running hose down to a Tupperware box like above. And then 4 halos from a pump in a res at the back of my groom. Should come in sub 130 I’m hoping. I work away a lot so this will be ideal for me

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GasMan For This Useful Post:

British green (10-01-19), gardro (10-01-19), GEORGE (10-01-19), Ironman (10-01-19), Krofam (21-08-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

Sound mate

To be honest the pots were the hardest thing to work out in the end. Not too many things of that dimension around. I was lucky my pots fit into 99p builders bucket. Destroyed a couple cutting them down, brittle plastic.

As soon as it's done you actually smile when it comes to feeding and when your pump is in, well youre laughing.

Current diary

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast