Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Timer - 600w HPS SCRoG Royal Gorilla Advice Please!

Thanks

Smile First Timer - 600w HPS SCRoG Royal Gorilla Advice Please!

Hi All,

I'm a first time grower, looking for a bit of advice & guidance from you old hands

Setup:

Tent - Green Qube 100 (1m x 1m x 2m)
    Extraction - Rhino Pro Thermostatic 6" / Rhino Pro Carbon Filter 6"
    Lighting - Omega 600w Black Dimmable ballast / Omega Dual Spectrum HPS
    Medium - Soil (Canna Bio Terra Plus) / Perlite (70/30 mix)
    Nutrients - BioBizz (Grow / Bloom / Top Max)
    Technique - SCRoG, Topping, LST
    Seeds - Royal Gorilla (RQS)

Seeds are currently germinating, expecting to plant them in Root It cubes tonight. I'm wondering at which point is it best to put them under the HPS, and does anybody have any advice around the appropriate wattage and distance from the plants when I first turn the HPS on? Should I go max 400w during veg and try to keep the light around 16" from the top of the plants throughout veg stage?

Also, should I use veg nutes at half strength during initial veg, and how long for?

Thanks in advance

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HandsomeJohnny For This Useful Post:

Bin man (09-01-19), Chrisnick (12-01-19), G' (09-01-19), GEORGE (09-12-18), Jeff (09-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Macky Guest

Default First Timer - 600w HPS SCRoG Royal Gorilla Advice Please!

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeJohnny View Post
    Hi All,

I'm a first time grower, looking for a bit of advice & guidance from you old hands

Setup:

Tent - Green Qube 100 (1m x 1m x 2m)
    Extraction - Rhino Pro Thermostatic 6" / Rhino Pro Carbon Filter 6"
    Lighting - Omega 600w Black Dimmable ballast / Omega Dual Spectrum HPS
    Medium - Soil (Canna Bio Terra Plus) / Perlite (70/30 mix)
    Nutrients - BioBizz (Grow / Bloom / Top Max)
    Technique - SCRoG, Topping, LST
    Seeds - Royal Gorilla (RQS)

Seeds are currently germinating, expecting to plant them in Root It cubes tonight. I'm wondering at which point is it best to put them under the HPS, and does anybody have any advice around the appropriate wattage and distance from the plants when I first turn the HPS on? Should I go max 400w during veg and try to keep the light around 16" from the top of the plants throughout veg stage?

Also, should I use veg nutes at half strength during initial veg, and how long for?

Thanks in advance
    It's better to have seedlings and young plants under weaker lights mate for the first week atleast. I assume you've got a dimmable ballast? If so, get a 250w MH bulb for the first couple of weeks. Or maybe a t5 fluorescent until they're strong enough for bigger lights.

And you're in soil, so only water for two to three weeks mate, no need for nuits, it's in the soil already.

Welcome to the talk

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

G' (09-01-19), GEORGE (09-12-18), HandsomeJohnny (09-12-18), insushin (08-01-19), Jeff (09-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    It's better to have seedlings and young plants under weaker lights mate for the first week atleast. I assume you've got a dimmable ballast? If so, get a 250w MH bulb for the first couple of weeks. Or maybe a t5 fluorescent until they're strong enough for bigger lights.

And you're in soil, so only water for two to three weeks mate, no need for nuits, it's in the soil already.

Welcome to the talk
    Cheers Mate!

I've got a 45W LED or can run my dual spectrum HPS at 250W until they're strong enough for the big light. Would either of those be OK? Which do you think is best?

When I do switch over to full HPS, am I best staying at 400W for veg, or can I use the full 600W?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HandsomeJohnny For This Useful Post:

G' (09-01-19), GEORGE (09-12-18), Jeff (09-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Macky Guest

Default First Timer - 600w HPS SCRoG Royal Gorilla Advice Please!

Cheers Mate!

I've got a 45W LED or can run my dual spectrum HPS at 250W until they're strong enough for the big light. Would either of those be OK? Which do you think is best?

When I do switch over to full HPS, am I best staying at 400W for veg, or can I use the full 600W?
    600w hps is best for flower. Dimming the 600w down to 250 would not be a good idea mate, you'll kill the bulb.

Use the 45w led for a week or so after they shoot. Then, if you don't have anything else, 400hps will have to do. But a 250, or 400w Mh would be a good addition to your setup

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

Bin man (09-01-19), G' (09-01-19), GEORGE (09-12-18), HandsomeJohnny (10-12-18), Jeff (09-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,120 Times

I know I?m wrong..... but I have always dimmed my bulbs from the ballast, never any ill effects..... just saying. N again yes I know it?s incorrect.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Coco Scrog with a mix bag COMPLETE 32.8 OZ's------

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ja-Take-2-Coco

Murdocks special blend x2 COMPLETE 6.6oz's

[url]https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?132905-Skunky-s-Bag-Seed-Extravagonja[url]

SCROG and LST 3 plants COMPLETE 10.5 OZ'S

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d-Extravagonja

Check out the single mainlined Nitro Lemon Haze mentored by the mad scientist Dexter. COMPLETE 5.5 OZ's

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...lp-From-Dexter

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skunky n funky For This Useful Post:

G' (09-01-19), GEORGE (09-12-18), HandsomeJohnny (10-12-18), Jeff (09-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,169 Times

Cheers Mate!

From experience I'd say the 45w LED is good for the first week but switch after 7 days unless it will slow the grow down a bit. Its good for when they first sprout but no good for soon after. Good luck it with the grow mate!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erby For This Useful Post:

G' (09-01-19), GEORGE (09-12-18), HandsomeJohnny (10-12-18), Jeff (09-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erby View Post
    From experience I'd say the 45w LED is good for the first week but switch after 7 days unless it will slow the grow down a bit. Its good for when they first sprout but no good for soon after. Good luck it with the grow mate!
    Cheers dude. I decided to go with an Omega 400w MH rather than the dual spectrum 600w HPS (dimmed to 400w during veg). It was only ?17 and if it helps with yield then it's money well spent. The rest of my kit is pretty top-end so no point scrimping on bulbs eh?

Does anyone know anything about the super lumen setting on the Omega ballast? When is it appropriate to boost the wattage?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HandsomeJohnny For This Useful Post:

G' (09-01-19), GEORGE (10-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Thanks

Also, can anyone recommend a decent clip on fan for inside the tent? Every one I've looked at has terrible reviews. I ordered a secret jardin oscillating 20W job, but I've read reviews that say they can set on fire?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HandsomeJohnny For This Useful Post:

G' (09-01-19), GEORGE (10-12-18), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Macky Guest

Cheers dude. I decided to go with an Omega 400w MH rather than the dual spectrum 600w HPS (dimmed to 400w during veg). It was only ?17 and if it helps with yield then it's money well spent. The rest of my kit is pretty top-end so no point scrimping on bulbs eh?

Does anyone know anything about the super lumen setting on the Omega ballast? When is it appropriate to boost the wattage?
    Good choice mate, that bulb will make a big difference to the plants.

With the super lumens thing, I found, you stitch it on, and temps increase at the top of the canopy, so you have to raise the light a bit.... reducing lumens, I don't use it, it's a fad imo lol

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

G' (09-01-19), GEORGE (10-12-18), HandsomeJohnny (08-01-19), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

AAJ clip on - I've had two of these running 6+ months with no issues yet.

OTraki - small occilating fans not died on my yet... not a clip on tho

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

G' (09-01-19), GEORGE (10-12-18), HandsomeJohnny (08-01-19), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast