Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Growing comfrey

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Quote Originally Posted by WF420 View Post
    Cheers mate, so would you this instead of the teas or alongside?

I planted a couple of comfrey root cuts a few weeks ago so this time next year i should have established plants
    If you got enough I wouldn’t even bother making fertiliser etc just top dress the leaves as that shit breaks down so fast and it’s about 99% water anyway.
    Borage is basically the same thing except you get less biomass with each plant.

I would still have nettles as my number 1 though!
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), lipnobody (18-07-19), WF420 (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Comfrey is so easy to grow . Grows like a weed . No maintenance needed whatsoever . I got 12 in my garden . About 7' high that i just harvested to sheet compost my garden as i didnt have time for an outdoor veggie garden this year

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), redisiel (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Quote Originally Posted by WF420 View Post
    Cheers mate, so would you this instead of the teas or alongside?

I planted a couple of comfrey root cuts a few weeks ago so this time next year i should have established plants
    Using this as an ingredient in tea would be the best option because as is it's an anaerobic liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    If you got enough I wouldn’t even bother making fertiliser etc just top dress the leaves as that shit breaks down so fast and it’s about 99% water anyway.

Redz
    Here it's the opposite, comfrey barely gets a foot tall (at least the type that I have which I'm almost certain is the standard Symphytum officinalis), borage on the other hand is a very prolific wild plant here in the Mediterranean that gets a couple feet tall with stems well over an inch in diameter.

Nettles would have my preference as well but for those it's just too dry here and the soil is lacking the nutrients that they require.

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Comfrey is so easy to grow . Grows like a weed . No maintenance needed whatsoever . I got 12 in my garden . About 7' high that i just harvested to sheet compost my garden as i didnt have time for an outdoor veggie garden this year

7 feet? that's massive!

I did lay a bunch of borage on some racks to dry out and when I find the time I'll run that through a blender to use as top dressing. More for the trace minerals than the nitrogen because most of that has dissipated by now.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), redisiel (19-06-19), Trex (19-06-19), WF420 (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times

Redz
    Got plenty of nettles growing atm mate

Dug over an area at the back of my garden over winter but didnt do anything with it, now its covered in nettles, thorns, 3 different types of roses and some other flower bareing plants haha!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), Cleargreen (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), redisiel (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post
    Using this as an ingredient in tea would be the best option because as is it's an anaerobic liquid.

Here it's the opposite, comfrey barely gets a foot tall (at least the type that I have which I'm almost certain is the standard Symphytum officinalis), borage on the other hand is a very prolific wild plant here in the Mediterranean that gets a couple feet tall with stems well over an inch in diameter.

Nettles would have my preference as well but for those it's just too dry here and the soil is lacking the nutrients that they require.

7 feet? that's massive!

I did lay a bunch of borage on some racks to dry out and when I find the time I'll run that through a blender to use as top dressing. More for the trace minerals than the nitrogen because most of that has dissipated by now.
    Yea . It was in my garden that ive been soil building for 10+ yrs .

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), Cleargreen (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Yea . It was in my garden that ive been soil building for 10+ yrs .

Nice!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Cleargreen View Post

7 feet? that's massive!

Your not growing the sterile version of the comfrey are you, the ones me, wf420,a couple others and Trex has some too and it’s the bocking 14 and the all cuttings originate from the same cut in 1940’s.
    The comfrey plants that I’ve seen or heard of are just as big given the room.
    Redz

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), Cleargreen (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), IceCalibur (19-06-19), WF420 (19-06-19)

Thanks

Your not growing the sterile version of the comfrey are you, the ones me, wf420,a couple others and Trex has some too and it’s the bocking 14 and the all cuttings originate from the same cut in 1940’s.
    The comfrey plants that I’ve seen or heard of are just as big given the room.
    Redz
    No, I collected seeds once and got some to germinate so it's definitely not sterile which is why I'm pretty sure it's S. officinalis.
    In my climate I don't have to worry about them taking over everything because it's just too dry.

That's also the reason why I made the liquid fertilizer from the borage because borage is only around in winter and spring and then it's gone. Plus topdressing isn't really possible in the champagne bottles either.
    With watering the comfrey does make it through summer and giving it shade definitely helps as well.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (19-06-19), GEORGE (19-06-19), lipnobody (19-06-19)

Thanks

absolutely go for it

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cannabisman420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-07-19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2