Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: Bespoke LED strip build mentored by Gardro

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,993 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Cheers dude, I'm starting another as soon as the flat bar is delivered. Smaller this time for a veg cabinet
    Nice. You noticed a big difference with the lights in ?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uv123_4 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (06-05-22), GEORGE (13-04-20)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

Space saved was a big plus... I used cfls previously and they take up a lot of space. And I went from 400w down to 150... then down to 120w when I chopped 2 strips. Plus they're only running at 100% during flowering so money saved there.
    In terms of quality of bud... maybe a little denser but really about the same. Similar yields with less electricity used. And no adjusting heights.. just use the dimmer .

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,993 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    Space saved was a big plus... I used cfls previously and they take up a lot of space. And I went from 400w down to 150... then down to 120w when I chopped 2 strips. Plus they're only running at 100% during flowering so money saved there.
    In terms of quality of bud... maybe a little denser but really about the same. Similar yields with less electricity used. And no adjusting heights.. just use the dimmer .
    Sounds good. Sounds easier haha. Sounds tempting maybe one day. At least you know what watts you use see a lot of led shite for sale on the net and the bullshit they tell you is a joke.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uv123_4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uv123_4 View Post
    Sounds good. Sounds easier haha. Sounds tempting maybe one day. At least you know what watts you use see a lot of led shite for sale on the net and the bullshit they tell you is a joke.
    Yeah, I think they advertise what they deem is the equivalent to HPS or something. If going for an oldschool led you need to research the "actual watts" it draws. Most will be easy to find via YouTube.
    For my heights there were no good options so I felt I had to go bespoke if I wanted to upgrade from cfls. I love the diy element anyway so I enjoyed putting it together.

Ideally I need about 8 inches between the canopy and the light... currently I have buds touching it lol.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (06-05-22), GEORGE (15-04-20), Uv123_4 (15-04-20)

Thanks

Gonna do another of these lights. Unfortunately it seems Gardro's not around lately but I'm gonna use all the same parts. Last one I ended up using 8 strips totaling 129w so I have 2 left over (SI-B8V101560US). Will buy another 5 and do 7 strips. think a HLG-120H-C700B driver will be enough for that as its 15w per strip if I remember correctly. Or do I play it safe and just get the same driver as last time (HLG-185H-C700B).

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (06-05-22), GEORGE (06-05-22), V8 (06-05-22)

Thanks

Everything's ordered. Now comes the hard part... waiting and then finding time to work on it...

Lights and driver cost $152

The rest was overpriced bits using amazon prime but prob about 30 quid. also bought a new extract fan

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

Blue61 (07-05-22), CityDweller (06-05-22), davidfa (07-05-22), GEORGE (06-05-22), M_C (07-05-22), V8 (06-05-22)

Thanks

Hope you got them from Arrow as they are cheaper there and do free shipping to UK...Had lots off there in the past.
    As it goes I have just done an "emergency" one of these as my boards (QB288 knockoff's) finally may have succumbed to my abuse. Had them 3 and a half years - they are not actually dead...I just got em saturated when i steamed my room out (another story). Now about 30% of them on the boards are not lighting up, But interestingly if I up the temps in my tent to very high levels then i see a few coming back to life.
    So I have re-used the driver and done a quick jig up using what I call unistruct or 20mm channel. Re-used driver etc. 10 x 48v strips bought ages ago for pennies (arrow sometimes have really mad sales). I didn't use channel for the frame though. I have used 10mm threaded rod drilled a 10mm hole through sides of channel and threaded the rod through each piece until I had my 10 lengths through. Done that about 100mm in from end at each end.
    And it even worked lol.
    I still have loads of strips of various sizes up the attic. Enough to throw together a few sets. But being the tight assed tinkerer that I am I just have to try to save my old boards lol just gonna chuck em in the oven just as a little experiment is all.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidfa For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (07-05-22), GEORGE (07-05-22), Silkadin (07-05-22)

Thanks

I used digikey I'm afraid. I'm so clueless and paranoid I decided to go with what I've used before in terms of parts. The only diff being the driver and even then its the same model, just for a lower wattage. I'm too impatient so I used amazon prime for most bits and digikey have always been really fast delivery for me, even when posted from abroad. Only weak link I have is a purchase off ebay for some angle bar... I'm just crossing my fingers on that as I've had issues in the past.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

davidfa (07-05-22), GEORGE (07-05-22)

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19