Thread: PH Down > Raising EC above desired levels ?

Thanks

Default PH Down > Raising EC above desired levels ?

So ive never really checked my EC after adding PH down to my water tank until today and I noticed that once id set my EC to 0.6 and adjusted my PH down to 5.8 I decided to check my EC again to see if it made any difference and to my surprise it had, a full 0.2 points so my EC was now at 0.8!

Now ive always set my EC to my desired level and then set my PH but like I said never checked my EC afterwards, anyway ive never had any ill affects to my plants that ive noticed, (all that being said I have had slow growth in the past and maybe the odd deficiency but nothing major, but have at the time struggled to sort these minor issues), could that have been to do with what ive discovered today?

So im just wondering if the PH down increasing the EC is problematic and is it likely to increase issues like slow growth and potential lock outs? more importantly should I now start being more anal about my EC levels and make sure I leave a deficit in my EC after adding nutrients knowing my PH down will bring the EC up?

If that is what some people do surely that can be a nightmare to get right everyday (I water daily by hand so prepare my nutrients the day before and leave to settle overnight >>>with air stone<<<)

SuperBad Grower

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CocoGrow128 For This Useful Post:

MonsterEnergy (08-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (08-01-19)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

Ph down is food though matey, it's phosphoric acid aka phosphorus
    that's why it gets added, it converts to food for your plants

also when i was in coco id take the ph a little lower and let it drift up as it normally would over a few days,

hope that helps

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

CocoGrow128 (08-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (08-01-19)

Thanks

[QUOTE=also when i was in coco id take the ph a little lower and let it drift up as it normally would over a few days, hope that helps[/QUOTE]

yeh I set my PH a little lower as I leave my feed overnight to let everything settle and adjust as needed when I come to feed, it'll be interesting to see other peoples thoughts on weather they set there EC lower and allow PH down to bring it up to desired level, and if they do that how much of a deficit do they leave in EC

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CocoGrow128 For This Useful Post:

MonsterEnergy (08-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

I read that if foil from the inner cap is ripped it can react with the ph down. I found the vitalink ph down easy was adding to my ec whereas the reg 81% version didn't. Neither does my ph up.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

CocoGrow128 (08-01-19), MonsterEnergy (08-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (08-01-19)