Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seed Cracks Then Dies?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

Quote Originally Posted by begone_thought View Post
    That sounds really good, man. It looks great too. I'll definitely be doing this method the next time I need to pop a seed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Not too late to take the unpopped seed and go into a bag. Better chance than the wool in my opinion.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

begone_thought (18-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), MonsterEnergy (16-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (18-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    No problem. Any seed that goes 5 or 6 days without popping comes back out and gets gently scraped on the seam and then back into the bag.
    The reason I'm stressing is because the seed HAS popped, it just kind of stopped after a point. But if I see no change by this evening I'll do as you say and take her out and place her in a zippy bag and see what happens. At this point I don't have anything to lose. I'll keep the thread updated. Thank you again for the advice.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (16-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), MonsterEnergy (16-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (18-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by begone_thought View Post
    The reason I'm stressing is because the seed HAS popped, it just kind of stopped after a point. But if I see no change by this evening I'll do as you say and take her out and place her in a zippy bag and see what happens. At this point I don't have anything to lose. I'll keep the thread updated. Thank you again for the advice.
    No no no. I did not read your info well enough! If she already popped do not touch her. Very hard to move around a popped seed without killing it. Just do what you can to keep the root zone around 24c and put a dome over to increase humidity if you have not already. Good luck!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

begone_thought (18-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), MonsterEnergy (16-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (18-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,214 Times

Found this one. Cheers.
    Hey man I think you should put the seed between the layers of paper towel. Its not a light thing, its about even moisture for the tap root when it pops.

There are a few seeds that u put on top of the towel, blue globe thistle, basil, echinacea are 3 I grew last year. Usually it's tiny seeds without much endosperm. All 3 are very difficult to germinate. Cannabis is super easy as long as the seed is healthy. So it's not a huge deal. Lots of people just germinate in the ground.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (16-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), MonsterEnergy (16-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (18-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Hey man I think you should put the seed between the layers of paper towel. Its not a light thing, its about even moisture for the tap root when it pops.

There are a few seeds that u put on top of the towel, blue globe thistle, basil, echinacea are 3 I grew last year. Usually it's tiny seeds without much endosperm. All 3 are very difficult to germinate. Cannabis is super easy as long as the seed is healthy. So it's not a huge deal. Lots of people just germinate in the ground.
    Hi Jeff. I have done in the ground many times. Layered in paper a few times. On top of the paper in the bag as shown many times. This is by far my preferred method.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

begone_thought (18-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), MonsterEnergy (16-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (18-01-19), UpT0wn (16-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,927 Times

Found this one. Cheers.
    Nice one CD. Ive been using paper towels with about a 90% germ rate. Ill give this a try and see if it makes a difference
    Current grow: Cindy jocks & Royal Dwaft

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ery-Auto-Diary

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UpT0wn For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-01-19), CityDweller (16-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), MonsterEnergy (16-01-19)

Thanks

Update on the seed. Still nothing has changed, not even in the slightest. I've removed the seed from the rockwool as carefully as I could and placed it in a ziplock bag as suggested by CityDweller. I've figured my PC case is not the most reliable source of heat as fluctuations are common so I've put the ziplock bag in a small empty cardboard box and placed it in my clothes cupboard. Lets see what happens. Thanks again to everyone who's given suggestions. Whatever happens at the end of this I'll provide pictures once I've given up on the seed or she's sprouted.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to begone_thought For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (16-01-19), CityDweller (16-01-19), GEORGE (16-01-19), MonsterEnergy (16-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (18-01-19)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

if the taproot has come out a few mill then simply stopped it might not be viable mate or was to moist and simply suffocated in water

i do pretty much what CD does, after 24-48hrs in the zip bag i get a good 15mm taproot,

i've had 10-10 seeds crack and fully germinate, i've also had 2-10 using the same method
    the taproots poke out but that's as far as they ever grow,

have even tried removing the shells manually but if they aren't viable they just won't grow mate
    it's pretty common that's why most people start more than one seed ''just incase''

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

begone_thought (18-01-19), CityDweller (16-01-19), GEORGE (17-01-19), SmobyToker#1 (18-01-19)

Thanks

Hi Jeff. I have done in the ground many times. Layered in paper a few times. On top of the paper in the bag as shown many times. This is by far my preferred method.
    Ok man. If it works, go for it. If u have any germination info about other flowers, veg or herbs, let me know. I'm going to try to clone some hydrangeas this year and take em inside in the fall. I'm thinking about putting up a house addition, lol

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (17-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19), MonsterEnergy (18-01-19)

Thanks

Yeah, u can't take it personally if u don't get some to pop. Have had an awful time trying to get basil seeds to pop.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (17-01-19), GEORGE (19-01-19), MonsterEnergy (18-01-19)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast