Thread: Home made low pressure aeroponics

Thanks

Default Home made low pressure aeroponics

I've always been a fan of aero wanted to see if I could build something that's cheaper and with fewer moving parts than the Amazon system I use for my grows. I found a video on amazon that seemed pretty easy to build, so went ahead with attempting to build using parts sourced in the UK.

The system I've come up with uses a £12 recycled plastic box bought online from George @ asda, some rigid plastic pipework, garden irrigation fittings and a pump I had knocking around. The pipework was probably the most expensive part as I went overkill with 3/4" pvcu and bought probably twice as much as I needed.

This is the semi finished system, I still need to put in a drain and level pipe as well as a platform for the roots to sit in so they don't clog the pump as easily.

Top view of the pipework and sprayers

Attachment 369514

With the pump turned on:
    Name:  IMGP4488.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  115.1 KB

Top view with cutouts and net pots installed.
    Name:  IMGP4485.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  97.7 KB

Have some auto seeds currently in the propagator to test it out with, should have the drain etc installed over the weekend ready for them to go in when they are ready.

Monkey

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to monkeyboy For This Useful Post:

GasMan (26-01-19), GEORGE (12-03-19), tom222 (26-01-19), weedjunkie420 (26-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,310 Times

Nice little setup pal.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Toms Iws Flood & drain system using coco. 2020.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...ems-using-Coco

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tom222 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Great job MB. I made the mistake of buying one and the build quality is very poor for the money.
    I've had big plants in mine and no problem with the pump blocking but it does have a foam filter on. The main problem is the pump heating the water. I will have to think of a way to get the pump outside of the tank.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-03-19), monkeyboy (26-01-19)

Thanks

I'd not given pump heat much thought tbh so thanks for the heads up. If it becomes and issue I may try sticking an air stone in there and piping the air in from outside. It might not be much help in summer but in winter would probably do the trick.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeyboy For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-03-19), toblue (26-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,120 Times

Why aeroponics tho isn’t it kinda over engineering a more natural uptake of nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Coco Scrog with a mix bag COMPLETE 32.8 OZ's------

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ja-Take-2-Coco

Murdocks special blend x2 COMPLETE 6.6oz's

[url]https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?132905-Skunky-s-Bag-Seed-Extravagonja[url]

SCROG and LST 3 plants COMPLETE 10.5 OZ'S

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d-Extravagonja

Check out the single mainlined Nitro Lemon Haze mentored by the mad scientist Dexter. COMPLETE 5.5 OZ's

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...lp-From-Dexter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skunky n funky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I'd not given pump heat much thought tbh so thanks for the heads up. If it becomes and issue I may try sticking an air stone in there and piping the air in from outside. It might not be much help in summer but in winter would probably do the trick.
    I did an experiment where I put some water in a jug (2 litres) with an airstone and took the temperature, I put the air pump inside a chest freezer and ran the air line to the jug, after 4 hours there was zero temperature change to the jug of water.

I do have air stones in my unit just to keep things fresh.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-03-19), monkeyboy (26-01-19)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Skunky n funky;1070907748]Why aeroponics tho isn’t it kinda over engineering a more natural uptake of nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Not really, although I've never grown in soil so can't do a true comparison. The idea is to get a fast growing healthy plant that yields as much as possible. The ideal water droplet size is 50 microns according to a nasa study, it's at that size that the plant can absorb the most nutrients. Low pressure aero doesn't get to that efficiency as the droplets are much larger, but it still gives excellent results.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeyboy For This Useful Post:

British green (26-01-19), GEORGE (12-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,541 Times

Nice to see build like this!

I ended up having to buy a chiller for the nutes, especially during the summer. I use a bit of automation to limit the handson work that needs doing, hydroponics is good for that

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-03-19)