Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is blurple lighting a thing of the past?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Now ya gotta bleed entire system gardro . Rad per rad buddy

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

gardro (30-01-19), GEORGE (30-01-19), Priapus (30-01-19), Valentina (30-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

What was wrong btw ? Just the auto bleeder ?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

gardro (30-01-19), GEORGE (30-01-19), Priapus (30-01-19), Valentina (30-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

I won’t be referring to specific grow light manufacturers in general but will be basing a good proportion on Samsung to drive the message home. They are an OEM whom supply the semiconductors ( the led chips) to the various lighting assemblers around the world. Hopefully this puts commercial interests to one side, including sponsors. Just here for facts and information share.
    Since this thread is titled the as it is, I will omit COBs all together in here since they are almost inapplicable ( well almost for now ) I will put a COB thread together specifically.

In the mid 2010s blurple lights popularity and innovation began to die off quickly as the white generation emerged. The biggest player in the mid power led market was the LM561 by Samsung and when the LM561C derivation arrived in 2015, its efficiency became something to offer as a unique selling point vs any other light but also vs other grow lights using other/blurple colours
    What is no secret is these leds were NOT designed or specified to produce horticultural light. They are not horticultural lights but did have full white spectrums. As you may know, white light consists of many other colours ( think rainbows etc). It so happened that pioneers used this light and grew big old mary jane plants.

Demand grew as the several manufacturers and DIYers adopted the technology ( including white light cobs ) to the point that supply became an issue. One particular company who shall remain nameless coined the trademark Quantum Board and things changed forever in my humble opinion.
    To the present we now have an entire billion dollar branch called Samsung Horticulture. Osram, Lumileds and others offer alternatives too but arent innovating at the same rate.

LM561C was a first generation of high efficiency white lighting
    LM301B was classed as 2nd generation, white lighting

You may be familiar with those part numbers already

The third generation was announced in October ’18 and the range is known as Samsung Horticulture range. Note the part numbers have adopted “H” and specific horticulture range

So in answer to the title and the widespread belief that blurple is dead, please guess again.

The efficiencies are way beyond 3umol per watt in some cases here so there will be some very bright blurple for years to come.

But why blurple? Ive got some interesting stuff to put in another thread.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Benson123 (04-02-19), GEORGE (30-01-19), Ironman (30-01-19), JB (30-01-19), M_C (30-01-19), thelastrebel (30-01-19), Valentina (30-01-19), WhIpLaSh (30-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    I won’t be referring to specific grow light manufacturers in general but will be basing a good proportion on Samsung to drive the message home. They are an OEM whom supply the semiconductors ( the led chips) to the various lighting assemblers around the world. Hopefully this puts commercial interests to one side, including sponsors. Just here for facts and information share.
    Since this thread is titled the as it is, I will omit COBs all together in here since they are almost inapplicable ( well almost for now ) I will put a COB thread together specifically.

In the mid 2010s blurple lights popularity and innovation began to die off quickly as the white generation emerged. The biggest player in the mid power led market was the LM561 by Samsung and when the LM561C derivation arrived in 2015, its efficiency became something to offer as a unique selling point vs any other light but also vs other grow lights using other/blurple colours
    What is no secret is these leds were NOT designed or specified to produce horticultural light. They are not horticultural lights but did have full white spectrums. As you may know, white light consists of many other colours ( think rainbows etc). It so happened that pioneers used this light and grew big old mary jane plants.

Demand grew as the several manufacturers and DIYers adopted the technology ( including white light cobs ) to the point that supply became an issue. One particular company who shall remain nameless coined the trademark Quantum Board and things changed forever in my humble opinion.
    To the present we now have an entire billion dollar branch called Samsung Horticulture. Osram, Lumileds and others offer alternatives too but arent innovating at the same rate.

LM561C was a first generation of high efficiency white lighting
    LM301B was classed as 2nd generation, white lighting

You may be familiar with those part numbers already

The third generation was announced in October ’18 and the range is known as Samsung Horticulture range. Note the part numbers have adopted “H” and specific horticulture range

So in answer to the title and the widespread belief that blurple is dead, please guess again.

The efficiencies are way beyond 3umol per watt in some cases here so there will be some very bright blurple for years to come.

But why blurple? Ive got some interesting stuff to put in another thread.
    Interesting mate, bring on the other thread.

Sent from Thames Iron works

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

gardro (30-01-19), Valentina (30-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    What was wrong btw ? Just the auto bleeder ?

A very slow leak somewhere mate, the type that evaporates before you notice but pressure drops over time until boiler says no

Current diary
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...le-Sun-Led-Kit

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Priapus (30-01-19), Valentina (30-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,368 Times

Should be an interesting thread this!

I know it's not the main point but I've been waiting for some developments on the new Sammies as well. Probably a bit of time yet before you can buy any modules built using them but they're there on the horizon no doubt.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thelastrebel For This Useful Post:

gardro (30-01-19), Priapus (30-01-19), Valentina (30-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,482 Times

Made a delivery to a house last week..Every single downstairs window was blazing blurple. Even the glass front door. Couldnt believe what i was seeing. I imagine that door is no longer attached to it's frame..Put some curtains up lads!

Very interesting stuff gadro. Ive got a blurple mars hydro and a white migro. Must do a side by side grow sometime soon.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priapus For This Useful Post:

gardro (30-01-19), Valentina (30-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thelastrebel View Post
    Should be an interesting thread this!

I know it's not the main point but I've been waiting for some developments on the new Sammies as well. Probably a bit of time yet before you can buy any modules built using them but they're there on the horizon no doubt.
    Available mate but the top bins have been prioritised.

I suspect Samsung may bypass some of the assemblers this year considering the hype they are creating

Current diary

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Priapus (30-01-19), thelastrebel (30-01-19), Valentina (30-01-19), WhIpLaSh (30-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priapus View Post
    Made a delivery to a house last week..Every single downstairs window was blazing blurple. Even the glass front door. Couldnt believe what i was seeing. I imagine that door is no longer attached to it's frame..Put some curtains up lads!

Very interesting stuff gadro. Ive got a blurple mars hydro and a white migro. Must do a side by side grow sometime soon.
    Migro FTW mate no contest. I will be putting up a cob thread including whats inside your very migro soon.

Current diary

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Priapus (30-01-19), thelastrebel (30-01-19), UpT0wn (30-01-19), Valentina (30-01-19), WhIpLaSh (30-01-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,368 Times

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Available mate but the top bins have been prioritised.

I suspect Samsung may bypass some of the assemblers this year considering the hype they are creating

Current diary
    Diodes themselves might be available to buy but I'm not going near them until someone has soldered the little bastards onto a nice convenient PCB strip for me! I've looked into how to reflow solder before and I just about lost the will to live even reading about it...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thelastrebel For This Useful Post:

gardro (30-01-19), Priapus (30-01-19), Valentina (30-01-19)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast