Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fan speed controller advice

Thanks

Yep, only variac seem to slow the fan rather then pulse, from all the stuff I have read. The pulsing is what causes the hum with the non variac type. The pulsing is just turning the fan on and off very quickly.

Sent from my SM-T285 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to D1zzy For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (14-02-19), G' (15-02-19), gardro (13-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19), tom222 (13-02-19), UpT0wn (13-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigDub View Post
    100% buy cheap buy twice I paid 130£ for an smscom twin on my first grow ditched it after two weeks as built bud Lightyear’s Variac controller. Best thing I ever done, along with copying his fan in the box I’m pretty much silent bar air movement noise inside the room the tents in
    What was wrong with sms twin mate ?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bin man For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (14-02-19), G' (15-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bin man View Post
    What was wrong with sms twin mate ?
    It just made my RVK make the most annoying humming noise mate , now all I hear is air movement with a Variac

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigDub For This Useful Post:

Bin man (14-02-19), G' (15-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewToAllThis View Post
    Done a bit of searching for Variac speed controllers and from what i can see they are only made by Fantronix? This is where i get confused. They have a variac STL 3amp for £39 and a variac STR 1.5amp for £70.

They are both variacs. Would the Cheaper variac do the job and have no hum?

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hi all just an update. I purchased the str 1.5a variac from fantronix. I agree with the buy cheap pay twice as i purchased an all in one tent kit and realise now that the fan is not strong enough and needs an upgrade hence the need for the speed controller. My first impressions were, "this thing is huge, where is this going to go" and "its pretty weighty". Wiring it up was pretty straight forward. You need to know how to wire a plug and plug socket in order to wire this.

Is it effective, yes it is. At night i can turn it to 1 and sleep. The loudest items in the tent are now the led light fan and regular fan. I've already purchased a new led fan and will fit in due course.

Thanks again.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewToAllThis For This Useful Post:

G' (15-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19), UpT0wn (14-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewToAllThis View Post
    Hi all just an update. I purchased the str 1.5a variac from fantronix. I agree with the buy cheap pay twice as i purchased an all in one tent kit and realise now that the fan is not strong enough and needs an upgrade hence the need for the speed controller. My first impressions were, "this thing is huge, where is this going to go" and "its pretty weighty". Wiring it up was pretty straight forward. You need to know how to wire a plug and plug socket in order to wire this.

Is it effective, yes it is. At night i can turn it to 1 and sleep. The loudest items in the tent are now the led light fan and regular fan. I've already purchased a new led fan and will fit in due course.

Thanks again.

Mate

Nice one you made the right choice you’ll never look back the control is everything when it comes to fans

Your on your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WWBB For This Useful Post:

BigDub (14-02-19), G' (15-02-19), GEORGE (14-02-19), UpT0wn (14-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

This fan controller thing has always puzzled me i bought a cheap plug in type for my 8" hurricane 1,000 m3/h and one or two of the guys here on the talk said don't use that it will blow your fan and i'm not sure if it was in the specs or if i contacted the supplier and they said this fan should not be dimmed !!!! so i am lost at this topic, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

12. The Following User Says Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

Trex (15-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by G' View Post
    This fan controller thing has always puzzled me i bought a cheap plug in type for my 8" hurricane 1,000 m3/h and one or two of the guys here on the talk said don't use that it will blow your fan and i'm not sure if it was in the specs or if i contacted the supplier and they said this fan should not be dimmed !!!! so i am lost at this topic, G'.
    If you cant dim your blower G . You can install a damper to lower air flow .

Easy peasy buddy . All a damper is .is a piece of plate that restricts airflow i side your pipe .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

G' (17-02-19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2