Thread: Box fans?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,133 Times

Default Box fans?

Sick of listening to my 8&10”rvks wailing away. There’s only so much you can put up with! Do these box jobbies really cut the noise? Or am I better off with a better fan controller? (Currently running rhino)
    Pax,o fortunatos nimium,sua si bona norint,agricolas.
    Omnium artium medicina nobilissima est.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the green meanie For This Useful Post:

G' (20-02-19), GEORGE (04-03-19), MonsterEnergy (18-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

The box certainly helps but its the variac speed controller and acoustic ducting that sorts most of the noise issue

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

G' (20-02-19), GEORGE (04-03-19), MonsterEnergy (18-02-19), the green meanie (21-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,133 Times

So it’s the rhino? My fans are boxed and the ductile is not acoustic but..I have it put through a 12” plastic pipe on intake,which I’ve filled with roof insulation. Capped off with Expanding foam. The out has a similar exhaust type speaker box round it which I’ve filled with those really annoying foam beads out of a bean bag. So it’s not that lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the green meanie For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

You on about gekko/tornado fans man?

If so iv had a few in the past and they put out alot of air when not used on a filter. Youll need a massive over sised filter to countrer the pressure. The box fans are really silent but they just aint got the pressure and they use alot of power.

Best fan combo iv used upto now is a hyperfan stealth with a carbo air fitler and phonic trap. Theres also revolution vectors thats been bought to market in recent years.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,847 Times

I've used a gekko box fan that said it did 1500m2, I used a huge mountain air filter and it certainly did not do the rated airflow then, as BritishBotanics said they are crap with the pressure.

I recently swapped out for a 10" inline rated at only 1000m2 and its doing a much better job at cooling my room. I also use phonic trap ducting and can fully recommend it, but I also use an sms hybrid fan controller and that's where the real benefit is.

Although once I've built a new RDWC system, and swapped the lights to LED, I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to a full EC fan set up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKing For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-03-19)