Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this yellowing the start of bud rot or ec too high?

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Answered: Is this yellowing the start of bud rot or ec too high?

Hi all,

Just noticed this yellowing tonight of the buds/small leaves, big leaves look fine, no issue, but this has puzzled me and slightly worrying. Praying its not rot.

Some weeks ago had an issue with fan leaves edges turning yellow with dark spots. You guys said it looked like too much nitrogen and would eventually clear up as the N was used up after flipping, which was bang on, all good.

We are in week 6 flower and have just reached ec 2.3. RH is between 51-61, temp highs of 25°. We have done about 3 feeds at ec 2.3, all hand fed. That last feed which was bottom of the barrel I had noticed (afterwards) that my mate did not stir the feed first meaning the nuts were probably sinking to the bottom, making the bottom of the barrel highly concentrated. At 2.3 the plants might have pulled a bit of a face at that bitter brew lol. And so was wondering if that could be the cause.

Tonight we flushed them out with just ph'd water and are keeping everything crossed we have nipped it in the bud, pun intended .

However, reading about online I read that bud rot can sometimes start with yellowing leaves. And the fact that it's only the small leaves in the bud that are turning and not any big leaves. When I pulled the bud open tonight it still looked green and healthy, no white or gray powder spores or anything. But this symptom has spread through most if not all the plants, and I am just hoping its the feed thats the common denominator and its not a fungus speeding through.

RH is in a good range, but sometime the floor is wet after feeding which cany be good but is usually dried up by the heat of the room. And air circulation could be better, there are 2 fans but the oscillating one is behind a beam and really only benefiting half the crop.

Can someone please take a look at the photo and give me some not bad news...

Oh... And its a cheeeese.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190222_202059.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	370170
    Last edited by THCBrova; 23-02-19 at 02:30 AM.

2. "
    Quote Originally Posted by THCBrova View Post
    Thanks for your help Silk, I will be following threads on here a lot more closely.
    Something is not right with our methods, regardless of equipment, because looking at some of the diaries on here yields are the same or more than ours but using a lot less.

The thing I notice on here is that most grows (thats Ive just seen) are done in small spaces. Ours is quite a large loft area with adequate ventilation, and even though the numbers on the readers are all in the right ranges, maybe its something to do with the environment i.e. how efficiently is moisture evaporating from the leaves, maybe even levels of Co2.
    I have noticed patches on the leaves that look a bit like a snail trail, which has made me question whether its too hot in there, or moisture is sitting too long on the leaves because the RH is too high in the room. The probe hangs just off center in the room but it might be an idea to get another one on the far side.

Think I'll do my own diary on the next one so people can see my process and point out any ways you guys do things better.
    A diary will help u massively mate. I had no clue a year ago and 1st attempt before I went online for guidance gave a whopping 14g for 2 plants lol. Thetalk soon changed all that so you're in the right place. Just never break the 10 plant rule... Zero tolerance on that one"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-19), Sadface (23-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times
    Provided Answers: 9

2.4 is double the ec I usually get up to in Coco hand feeding so seems very high to me.

If you can't find any rot and it's affecting em all simultaneously I'd suspect it's feed related. Usually rot hits and then spreads so you end up watching in pain as cola by cola needs to be cut.
    Might be worth running a towel over wet floor. It'll only add to your humidity.
    I'm no good at deficiencies so will let someone else comment further.

Got any other pics?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-19), Hedonistic Hippy (23-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,830 Times
    Provided Answers: 6

Looks like rot to me mate, the discoloration. Open the bud up, you will be able to tell straight away, soggy grey brown mould inside. The EC is far too high though mate as mentioned, even 1.2 would be high at that level of development.
    When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to prime For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    2.4 is double the ec I usually get up to in Coco hand feeding so seems very high to me.

If you can't find any rot and it's affecting em all simultaneously I'd suspect it's feed related. Usually rot hits and then spreads so you end up watching in pain as cola by cola needs to be cut.
    Might be worth running a towel over wet floor. It'll only add to your humidity.
    I'm no good at deficiencies so will let someone else comment further.

Got any other pics?
    Thanks Silkadin,

No more pics at the moment, its hard to get a clear photo with the yellow leaf n yellow/red light. They all look similar to the one in the photo anyway.

So you only go to 1.2 ec?

We were increasing it by 0.1 each week trying to get bigger yeilds. We avg 2.7 per plant when others are hitting 5 oz. Tbf their set up is much better i.e. lights, bigger pots, different nuts etc.
    Past couple we did Star Dawg and they were solid, could throw anything at them n they just kept gowing. They handled 2.4 no problem. Even when there was a couple of cock ups it didnt faze them. They had tattoos n rode motorbikes haha, hard af!
    But this cheese man, proper delicate.

Dont know much about the mother, maybe she was just fed on water or something, I dont know.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-19)

Thanks

It does look like rot in the pic, need some better shots and as Prime said, look inside the buds again near the base of the dying leaf. Google what it looks like so you know what to look for. Or check a few of my old threads as I've had it recently as took some pics.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prime View Post
    Looks like rot to me mate, the discoloration. Open the bud up, you will be able to tell straight away, soggy grey brown mould inside. The EC is far too high though mate as mentioned, even 1.2 would be high at that level of development.
    I hope not mate... :/

I opened up the bud last night and it was nice n green deep within. Mate looked this morning n said no change, so hoping for the best.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-19), prime (23-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,830 Times
    Provided Answers: 6

Likely not rot then mate, as it works from inside out. Drop EC, keep eye on your humidity. As mentioned don't leave any pools of water on the floor, it raises humidity and can be good for bad bugs and pathogens.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to prime For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by THCBrova View Post
    Thanks Silkadin,

No more pics at the moment, its hard to get a clear photo with the yellow leaf n yellow/red light. They all look similar to the one in the photo anyway.

So you only go to 1.2 ec?

We were increasing it by 0.1 each week trying to get bigger yeilds. We avg 2.7 per plant when others are hitting 5 oz. Tbf their set up is much better i.e. lights, bigger pots, different nuts etc.
    Past couple we did Star Dawg and they were solid, could throw anything at them n they just kept gowing. They handled 2.4 no problem. Even when there was a couple of cock ups it didnt faze them. They had tattoos n rode motorbikes haha, hard af!
    But this cheese man, proper delicate.

Dont know much about the mother, maybe she was just fed on water or something, I dont know.
    I think in late flower I've gone as far as 1.4

I've only done 2 strains so far but usually saw signs of overfeeding on the way up... Just a couple leaf tips Browning and darkening leaves so always find myself having to back off a little.
    Some strains are hungrier than others of course.
    I've read the pot size works in conjunction with the potential plant/yeild size so if your mates have bigger pots and better lights, then that's more likely to be the reason they harvest more. As is often quoted about nutes, "less is more". If leaves start to pale, that's when to up the ec a point. Otherwise I leave em be now. I stopped measuring run off after being told off by my mentor for it lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-19)

Thanks

I average about 3 per plant (2 plants per grow) in 11 litre pots squashed into a low tent under 150w of LED btw

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkadin View Post
    I average about 3 per plant (2 plants per grow) in 11 litre pots squashed into a low tent under 150w of LED btw
    Wow..! To avg 2.7 we are using 20ltr fabric pots under 600w dual spectrum bulbs (basic shades).

What led are you using, Budmaster?

What is your process i.e. veg time, pruning/training technique?

We veg approx 3-4 weeks, top mains, light lollipop when flipped, top mains again and secondries, proper lollipop about 4 weeks into flower, then leave them be.
    TBH not 100% sure about all that topping, its the first time we've done it to that extent, and while there is a lot more bud site and denser canopy, the buds seem a lot smaller. Proof will be in the pudding in a few weeks (assuming we make it to the end), but Im thinking we are gona avg about the same with smaller buds, just more of them.

Its a journey init lol

21. The Following User Says Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-02-19)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast