Thread: No Roots?!?

Thanks

Default No Roots?!?

First time DWC. I used a cheap grow plug to germinate. After 2 weeks I have a nice looking little plant. But I see no sign of roots yet so I have been dip feeding every day. I used gravel instead of hydroton. How long does it usually take for roots to show out of the basket? Thanks in advance. Maters

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,830 Times

The roots should definitely be out of the mesh pot after 2 weeks. How big were the roots when you placed it in the mesh pot? I think the gravel may be keeping the root zone too wet, clay balls are used for a reason mate, they allow the roots to stay oxygenated
    When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to prime For This Useful Post:

British green (24-02-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by maters View Post
    First time DWC. I used a cheap grow plug to germinate. After 2 weeks I have a nice looking little plant. But I see no sign of roots yet so I have been dip feeding every day. I used gravel instead of hydroton. How long does it usually take for roots to show out of the basket? Thanks in advance. Maters
    Dip feeding will be the problem. If the cubes stay too wet the roots will simply sit inside the cube as they don't need to search the water out. As the above post as well you should not really transplant them until you have a good root system coming out of the cube .

in a green and pleasant land

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (24-02-19), Hedonistic Hippy (24-02-19), redisiel (25-02-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maters View Post
    There be ROOTS there! finally a few strands through the bottom of the basket. Thanks for the replies Lets Roll and Brittish Green. I wasn't sure how to germinate so I just left the plug in a plastic bowl under a cfl for a few days after sprout. That didn't seem right to have roots popping out into the air so I put the plug into a basket too soon. I guess I should have used a planting tray like I did for soil grows. I had read about dip feeding discouraging root growth but I hope that problem is about to become moot. She seems to be thriving now. I have a small Mars LED about 22 inches distant. Does that seem like a reasonable distance until she gets better established? Thanks again folks!