Thread: Pool or spa pH down chemicals in hydroponics.

Thanks

Default Pool or spa pH down chemicals in hydroponics.

Has any successfully used pH down that is made for swimming pools or spas to control pH in hydroponics?

It's a suggestion that is found on the internet as a lower cost solution. The pH down I currently use is root farm pH down. I bought a small tester bottle for 7 USD. It's 8oz 236ml. To adust a 5 gallon bucket from tap pH to acceptable hydro pH is about 2 cap fulls. So this 236ml bottle will not last that long.

now I've heard it on the internet but I'm wondering if anybody is actually successfully and uses this stuff.

I have experimented with citric acid and vinegar. And while they do seem to work I know that the citric acid is a preservative and I'm not sure how that affects things.

honestly my main concern dealing with this pool product for pH adjustment is not the chemical they use for the actual adjustment of the pH but the other ingredients which comprises 5 to 6% of God knows what it's not on the label.

some websites have even suggested battery acid diluted obviously greatly as an effective PH adjuster for hydroponics I find this hard to believe.

I am perplexed by the fact that it's so difficult for regular home growers to find what commercial growers are using on these huge hydroponic farms where cost per gallon of nutrients and pH adjustment become a real issue.
    Last edited by Gabriel Green Hands; 02-03-19 at 04:44 AM.

Thanks

I may have answered my own question I believe what we need is called Phosphoric Acid. looking on retailers websites it looks like this comes in two forms a 10% solution used for some process in beer making and a more concentrated solution but also food grade at levels of 75% or so. Oh and finally there is one other which is a rust remover product that has several other additives which probably are too healthy for us.

I still am curious about the spa or pool pH down.