Thread: DiY 4x4 lights on the cheap

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,374 Times

Default DiY 4x4 lights on the cheap

Kinda between grows right now so decided to work on my lighting some. Everything but the 2x2's are available on Amazon. Im guessing its around 575w or so and hangers, timers and all were around $250 and an afternoon of minor construction.

I'll have a grow diary started with them in a few weeks. Thanks for looking!

P.s. I wouldn't use 2x2s for the frame if you're buying everything up front, I had it on hand. Frame is 36x12 inches with 1/4 inch staples for the 1/4 inch hutch wire.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to C-Rex For This Useful Post:

British green (04-03-19), CityDweller (04-03-19), GasMan (05-03-19), justintimeshepard (30-04-19), Kurdt (04-03-19), Silkadin (04-03-19), SmobyToker#1 (11-03-19)

Thanks

Well gents tragedy. 42 micro china drivers are a bit much in the heat department. After giving it a few days im consistently peaking at 90F canopy and 80F at the roots. Thats with a 6 inch outtake and 4 inch intake, in a room thats stabilized to 70F. Now I dont believe this is too much to work around but we've definitely gone upside down on our cost saving.

I have removed the extra 14 bulbs and used the rings to space the lights a little better but Im down to the 430ish watt range. If I was using top bin diodes and drivers this would be fine in a 4x4 but I really think these are more in the 3x3 range.

I could be chasing watts for no reason and these lights will work fine, as Im just assuming these diodes are crap but I think its a fair assumption to make.

Ive got a few months before I buy "real" lights though so we will get a test grow from this set up either way.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C-Rex For This Useful Post:

British green (10-03-19), gardro (10-03-19), SmobyToker#1 (11-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,993 Times

wow fair play mate, so whats the plan here, do a grow out to test these lights? Guessing these are led?
    FORMERLY TOBYSMOKER

Big buddah cheese and blue cheese solo journey - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ese-Round-Two-)

Big Buddah Blue Cheese & Cheese Mentored by Budlightyear! https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-Bud-lightyear

BREAKS & BEATS FOR THE MUSIC PRODUCERS OUT THERE!!! - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d-check-it-out

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SmobyToker#1 For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (12-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmobyToker#1 View Post
    wow fair play mate, so whats the plan here, do a grow out to test these lights? Guessing these are led?
    Yeah dirt cheap LED 2700k/1600 lums lights you can get from any big box with the diffusers removed. I plan on having 5 autos in 3 gallon bags starting in there mid April . I think that will be a fair shot at them for a 3x3 foot print.(unless I get high and buy lights earlier)

Regardless of the results this setup can be beaten HANDILY by a diy cob build for close to the same cash for a 3x3. The only shot I had was if I got the 4x4 to workout.

I popped a seed tonight that I plan on growing under a single ring in a separate space just to see how it gos. That will have a diary.

Im very much in the "fucking around" phase of my grow journey.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Rex For This Useful Post:

SmobyToker#1 (12-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousaurusRex View Post
    Kinda between grows right now so decided to work on my lighting some. Everything but the 2x2's are available on Amazon. Im guessing its around 575w or so and hangers, timers and all were around $250 and an afternoon of minor construction.

I'll have a grow diary started with them in a few weeks. Thanks for looking!

P.s. I wouldn't use 2x2s for the frame if you're buying everything up front, I had it on hand. Frame is 36x12 inches with 1/4 inch staples for the 1/4 inch hutch wire.
    dude this is so sick ! Way 2 go brother! Where ddid you buy the fixtures to put the leds in and where did you get u get the leds and how much were they! I love the set up thats why im asking

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justintimeshepard For This Useful Post:

C-Rex (30-04-19), harryhoudinii (30-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justintimeshepard View Post
    dude this is so sick ! Way 2 go brother! Where ddid you buy the fixtures to put the leds in and where did you get u get the leds and how much were they! I love the set up thats why im asking
    Hey thanks for looking!

Fixtures are 1to7 e26 splitters on Amazon (25w draw cap)

Lights are 100w equivalent LEDs from Amazon/Walmart (the 14 to 15.5 watt draw bulb) with the caps pulled off.

Like $250ish including timers/ cords etc.

Pic #1 auto flowers 2-3 weeks old
    Pic #2 Auto flower under a single ring 5 weeks old.