Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upkeeping microbes in rdwc

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Default Upkeeping microbes in rdwc

Hello all I have been using both Hydroguard and Photosynthesis plus in RDWC.

I have been using PP for some time in coco and love it. I'm now using HG and PP in RDWC, its all a bit haphazard at the moment.

I initially add full strength HG when the system is filled wait a few days and add half strength PP. I then just add a 100ml or a splash of each weekly (or when I remember) for up keep as I add new nutrient solution.

HG contains only Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens @ 1.00 x 10 4cfu's ml. PP contains Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens @ 1.00 x 10 7cfu's ml along with loads of other good bacteria and mycorrhizae.

Dose for HG is around 12 ml per 20 litres at full strength, with no mention of upkeep dose.

Dose for PP is initially 60ml per 20l followed by weekly doses of 30ml per 20 litres.

Any advice on the dose for these two products would be great

Could I drop the hydroguard ?

Do I need to keep on adding or will the population of good bacteria just continue to grow (I don't add sugars to the system)

Would you recommend full strength in RDWC.

Many thanks
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

BigBudsB (06-03-19), British green (06-03-19), GEORGE (06-03-19), redisiel (06-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    Hello all I have been using both Hydroguard and Photosynthesis plus in RDWC.

I have been using PP for some time in coco and love it. I'm now using HG and PP in RDWC, its all a bit haphazard at the moment.

I initially add full strength HG when the system is filled wait a few days and add half strength PP. I then just add a 100ml or a splash of each weekly (or when I remember) for up keep as I add new nutrient solution.

HG contains only Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens @ 1.00 x 10 4cfu's ml. PP contains Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens @ 1.00 x 10 7cfu's ml along with loads of other good bacteria and mycorrhizae.

Dose for HG is around 12 ml per 20 litres at full strength, with no mention of upkeep dose.

Dose for PP is initially 60ml per 20l followed by weekly doses of 30ml per 20 litres.

Any advice on the dose for these two products would be great

Could I drop the hydroguard ?

Do I need to keep on adding or will the population of good bacteria just continue to grow (I don't add sugars to the system)

Would you recommend full strength in RDWC.

Many thanks
    You really need reds to answer these questions. As he has run a fully organic dwc with good results that I've not seen before

in a green and pleasant land

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-03-19), redisiel (06-03-19), toblue (06-03-19)

Thanks

This is an interesting post mate. I always wondered should I be adding anything to my reservoir along with the nutes, but I was always unsure in case it affected my ec. I had used silver bullet roots before after reading such good reviews on it. I would have added it to the reservoir the first two weeks along with first feed but then never added it the remainder of the grow. Always wondered should I be adding it every time I change the res. Or am I good to just go with water and nutes and maybe add the silver bullet if it’s needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weedjunkie420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-03-19), toblue (06-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weedjunkie420 View Post
    This is an interesting post mate. I always wondered should I be adding anything to my reservoir along with the nutes, but I was always unsure in case it affected my ec. I had used silver bullet roots before after reading such good reviews on it. I would have added it to the reservoir the first two weeks along with first feed but then never added it the remainder of the grow. Always wondered should I be adding it every time I change the res. Or am I good to just go with water and nutes and maybe add the silver bullet if it’s needed

Hello mate if you run Silver bullet you run a sterile system so no point in adding microbes.

I did try Silver Bullet and didn't rate it at all. The lads in USA use poolshock or its equivalent when running sterile it works out much cheaper.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

BigBudsB (06-03-19), British green (06-03-19), GEORGE (06-03-19), weedjunkie420 (06-03-19)

Thanks

Hello mate if you run Silver bullet you run a sterile system so no point in adding microbes.

I did try Silver Bullet and didn't rate it at all. The lads in USA use poolshock or its equivalent when running sterile it works out much cheaper.
    Cheers mate appreciate that advice. I got silver bullet roots when I bought my system and have never really used it. I think I added it at the start on my first grow and that was it, but thinking now I should maybe be using it throughout. However still unsure how I would use it though, says it lasts in your system for 5 weeks however I change my reservoir with new water and nutes every week, so does that mean I would have to add it every time?

Or would I run it with just fresh water in the system for a couple of hours then change everything out and add the new water with the feed? Leaving residue in the system for the 5 weeks if that makes sense

10. The Following User Says Thank You to weedjunkie420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

I've ran hg bacillus bacteria in my res to help keep root rot in check and thought it worked great and added it every res change. But I was growing in dwc buckets so was easy to swap out but expensive. Reds didn't us hydro guard but made his own from rice milk if I'm correct.
    I'll link reds in and ask him to pop in .
    He's the guy to set ya right toblue

in a green and pleasant land

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-03-19), toblue (06-03-19), weedjunkie420 (06-03-19)

Thanks

Cheers mate appreciate that advice. I got silver bullet roots when I bought my system and have never really used it. I think I added it at the start on my first grow and that was it, but thinking now I should maybe be using it throughout. However still unsure how I would use it though, says it lasts in your system for 5 weeks however I change my reservoir with new water and nutes every week, so does that mean I would have to add it every time?

Or would I run it with just fresh water in the system for a couple of hours then change everything out and add the new water with the feed? Leaving residue in the system for the 5 weeks if that makes sense

You will need to add SB, pool shock or whatever else you use to keep your system sterile at every res change mate especially when the warmer weather kicks in. Some people even use bleach.

I'm hoping to get away without a chiller for as long as I can and have heard it is possible when running a live system.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-03-19), weedjunkie420 (06-03-19)

Thanks

You will need to add SB, pool shock or whatever else you use to keep your system sterile at every res change mate especially when the warmer weather kicks in. Some people even use bleach.

I'm hoping to get away without a chiller for as long as I can and have heard it is possible when running a live system.
    Sweet mate that makes sense, wasn’t too sure if some of the SB residue or something stayed in the system which meant you didn’t have to add it every water change. Think I’m going to run SB throughout my entire next grow after reading this thread and add it each change.

Take it I would be checking my background ec and then add the SB, and then check the EC again before adding my nutes? Not even to sure if it affects your EC or not will maybe have to experiment a little with 10litres of water beforehand.

Mate would you add the SB at manufacturers guidelines? I know you use a fraction of the manufacturers guidelines for nutrients but wondering if the SB was different

16. The Following User Says Thank You to weedjunkie420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-03-19)

Thanks

Sweet mate that makes sense, wasn’t too sure if some of the SB residue or something stayed in the system which meant you didn’t have to add it every water change. Think I’m going to run SB throughout my entire next grow after reading this thread and add it each change.

Take it I would be checking my background ec and then add the SB, and then check the EC again before adding my nutes? Not even to sure if it affects your EC or not will maybe have to experiment a little with 10litres of water beforehand.

Mate would you add the SB at manufacturers guidelines? I know you use a fraction of the manufacturers guidelines for nutrients but wondering if the SB was different

I'm no expert on SB but its not a nutrient so would go with the manufacturers recommendations (which are not to clear from memory) the product is made for DWC. I personally wouldn't include the SB EC into my Nutrient solution (if it has an ec). I am no expert on running a sterile system, tried it and it didn't work for me but that isn't saying it won't work for you, I think most RDWC folks run sterile, it is what the RDWC system manufacturers recommend.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

British green (06-03-19), GEORGE (06-03-19), weedjunkie420 (06-03-19)

Thanks

I'm no expert on SB but its not a nutrient so would go with the manufacturers recommendations (which are not to clear from memory) the product is made for DWC. I personally wouldn't include the SB EC into my Nutrient solution (if it has an ec). I am no expert on running a sterile system, tried it and it didn't work for me but that isn't saying it won't work for you, I think most RDWC folks run sterile, it is what the RDWC system manufacturers recommend.
    Cheers dude thanks for the advice, yeah that all makes sense it’s always good to run what your thinking in your head by someone for a second opinion. Reason why I love this place mate

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weedjunkie420 For This Useful Post:

British green (06-03-19), GEORGE (06-03-19), toblue (06-03-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast