Thread: PH Fluctuations Hydro Simply Explained

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Default PH Fluctuations Hydro Simply Explained

I am new to Hydro RDWC. First grow PH was all over the place. Found this simple version of why PH may not be stable. It disregards pathogens and good/bad bacteria etc but is still great basic information. I have just copied and pasted so this info is not down to me.

So you set the pH of your hydroponic reservoir to 5.5 only to return 2 days later to find the level has risen to a pH of 6.0! You’re wondering why the pH won’t stay where you set it?

The nutrients you add to your reservoir are acidic. When the plant consumes these acidic nutrients, the natural reaction is a rise in pH. This means it is normal for your reservoir to have a natural pH up-swing. It is much more desirable than your pH dropping, which would indicate you have too much nutrient in your solution. Here is a cheat sheet:

pH goes up, EC goes down = Plants are feeding. Potentially raise nutrient levels.

pH goes down, EC goes up = Plants are putting nutrient into the water rather than taking them out. Nutrient levels are too high.

pH stays stable, EC levels stay stable = Equilibrium. Plants are taking equal parts nutrients and water. Maximum growth is occurring.

It is best to error on the side of caution and slightly underfeed you plants . This will encourage the natural pH swing from 5.5-6.2. Once your solution reaches the 6.2 mark it should be brought back down to 5.5 pH and allowed to slowly drift up again. The reason this is ideal is that the plants are able to take up specific nutrients more efficiently at different pH levels. By going up and down through the proper pH range the plant has good access to all nutrients required for optimal growth.

Having the ability to monitor and adjust nutrient and pH levels in this fashion are one of the main benefits to an active or recirculating hydroponic system.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

andymac (10-05-20), BigBudsB (22-03-19), CityDweller (01-09-19), GEORGE (17-03-19), M_C (08-03-19), oJAE (08-08-19), redisiel (08-03-19), Spartak (17-09-20), tom222 (08-03-19), weedjunkie420 (08-03-19), WhIpLaSh (08-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

This post HERE goes into more detail for you
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (01-09-19), GEORGE (17-03-19), redisiel (08-03-19), toblue (08-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    This post HERE goes into more detail for you
    You must have a memory like an elephant MC lad. Post from 5 years ago

Great information wish I had found it earlier.

Wonder what happened to Jonny boy only 23 posts then gone.
    Last edited by toblue; 08-03-19 at 08:15 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (01-09-19), GEORGE (17-03-19), M_C (08-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    You must have a memory like an elephant MC lad. Post from 5 years ago

Great information wish I had found it earlier.

Wonder what happened to Jonny boy only 23 posts then gone.
    There is a thread in the orange section of useful links - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...elping-newbies

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (01-09-19), GEORGE (17-03-19), toblue (08-03-19)

Thanks

Great info dude. I was lucky enough to find a lovely ladymaryjane when I first joined the talk and she explained all this to me this info is golden mate in rdwc

One thing I have noticed though since starting growing with rdwc is your EC can still drop while your ph is dropping from too much nutrients (it’s doesn’t have to rise) Took me a few grows to figure out my problem of feeding straight into the brain bucket which is why every grow i have been overfeeding and getting lots of issues. But only once did I notice the ec rise, each other time it happened to me is was ph dropping but also ec dropping as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weedjunkie420 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (01-09-19), GEORGE (17-03-19), tom222 (08-03-19)

Thanks

Ph should only rise during veg. During bloom it should drop. Hence why a lot of companies call their ph down and up, ph veg and ph bloom. Baffles me how so many people dont know that.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EvilScotsm@n For This Useful Post:

CaptainChronic (05-09-19), GEORGE (01-09-19), RASTA (01-09-19), SBTUK (26-09-19)