Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Led, mh, HPS & CMH lighting.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,416 Times

As a addition to a hps grow I can't see a cmh not working ,tbh I'm about to add ,I have a chance to borrow a maxibright 315 cmh to add to my 1200hps

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

British green (15-03-19), CityDweller (14-03-19), GEORGE (14-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,416 Times

Check out my diary mate .."sadface did your mum" I know you don't need to say anything lol

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-03-19), GEORGE (14-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

I have been on CMH for a few full grows now. I use CMH for seedlings, veg and flower. I love the results. The plants under CMH grow stronger stems then hps/mh imo. I believe this is due to the extra UV. In my flower room I use 4, Phillips and 1 hortilux. The Phillips has a UV filter but still puts out more UV than a HPS. The hortilux does not have a UV filter.

Veg is slower than I like, but I believe this is because I give too much light at the beginning. I need to learn to back them off a bit more until they grow up.

Since switching to CMH my weed is stronger but it is very likely that is just because I have gotten better at growing.

CMH is more efficient in a vertical mount. This makes the 630 bulb pointless.

This 7 part series is what finally got me to switch.

The issue is that there are no cool tubes and if you go watt for watt replacement the heat is difficult to manage.

https://youtu.be/E1ieQBAA4_0

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-03-19), Sadface (15-03-19)

Thanks

Honestly. If the tech has been around since the 80's why is it not prevalent in grow rooms since then. We would have known the standard to be CMH not mh or hps as history has shown us.
    It's only now that we have discovered this great bulb. Nah man fad and sales for something that probably was never the preferred way to grow since it has been out in the 80's.

As far as you UK growers needing the additional heat I envy you. I have lived on the Cali coast which was cool in the winter. Now I live in Michigan a zone 5 climate. Snow and all and I tell you using LEDs winter outside and I still see heat issues so it must be cold as f in the UK I suppose.

I heard once that there are many ways to grow marijuana as there are people who smoke marijuana. In other words to each their own.

I did this not too lean anyone one way or the other only takes so some of the bullshit that I've been hearing from Amazon and other website selling this crap. About all lighting types. Bottom line it's been done a certain way for a while with certain equipment that has become the standard over the years for a reason.

Please don't piss all over my back and call it rain.
    My grow diary.
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...oudly-presents

I document so when pounds are found they know who grew it. 10 ounce store bought limit. No limit on what you can have from your home harvest as long as you can prove you green it. So here go.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gabriel Green Hands For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (15-03-19), gardro (15-03-19)

Thanks

One more thing before I drop the mic on this. you ever notice how those CMH bulbs have attached ballast like they were never f meant for growing. I mean because all growers prefer external ballast for heat. It's probably because they're converting a bunch of street lights and parking lights or some other crap to the grow equipment to get rid of it. Selling you the dream of replacements of 600 watt bulbs tighter nugs more resonance plants with their UV bullshit. Nah.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Green Hands View Post
    One more thing before I drop the mic on this. you ever notice how those CMH bulbs have attached ballast like they were never f meant for growing. I mean because all growers prefer external ballast for heat. It's probably because they're converting a bunch of street lights and parking lights or some other crap to the grow equipment to get rid of it. Selling you the dream of replacements of 600 watt bulbs tighter nugs more resonance plants with their UV bullshit. Nah.
    Never saw this attached ballast. My ballasts are not attached. My LUX meter and PAR meter tell me that I am getting a better spread with lower watts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    Never saw this attached ballast. My ballasts are not attached. My LUX meter and PAR meter tell me that I am getting a better spread with lower watts.
    Take a look at Amazon or eBay. Try to find one with a remote ballast. You can but most of the search results show the attached ballast.

Somebody said the vertical option is a better solution? Really.

So reflected light is better and more intense than straight from the side of the bulb? Nah. We learned in mh HPS school that horizontal is good vertical is best with no reflector hung in between plant rows.

Imagine a doughnut now that the center is ur bulb. The tasty doughnut is the way light comes off the bulb. Grow in the doughnut. Horizontal gives you half the dough nut reflected. Vertical in a hood? Lol it is all reflected. Might as well point your light to a white wall and grow plants off the glow rather than the light from the bulb.

Par and lux testing.... I got both CMH and mh/HPS sounds like I should do some testing to see if 315w produces more lumens than 400 watts. we know that there is some variation based on lighting technology and other words you cannot compare an LED to an HPS. However CMH and MH should be close enough related.

I will say the CMH seemed very bright for 315 Watt. This weekend I will conduct an experiment if all goes well.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel Green Hands For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (15-03-19)

Thanks

Take a look at Amazon or eBay. Try to find one with a remote ballast. You can but most of the search results show the attached ballast.

So reflected light is better and more intense than straight from the side of the bulb? Nah. We learned in mh HPS school that horizontal is good vertical is best with no reflector hung in between plant rows.

Imagine a doughnut now that the center is ur bulb. The tasty doughnut is the way light comes off the bulb. Grow in the doughnut. Horizontal gives you half the dough nut reflected. Vertical in a hood? Lol it is all reflected. Might as well point your light to a white wall and grow plants off the glow rather than the light from the bulb.

Par and lux testing.... I got both CMH and mh/HPS sounds like I should do some testing to see if 315w produces more lumens than 400 watts. we know that there is some variation based on lighting technology and other words you cannot compare an LED to an HPS. However CMH and MH should be close enough related.

I will say the CMH seemed very bright for 315 Watt. This weekend I will conduct an experiment if all goes well.

I said vertical. I believe the testing was done by Phillips and they determined 10% increased efficiency in a vertical mount for the bulb they produce.

Thanks

That is so odd. 90% have attached ballast. Stupid I agree. 90% are horizontal mount which does not follow the bulb manufacturer's recommendations.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

What I would like to see is something that mimics nature. A light that adjust spectrum based on time of day much like the sun on a realistic light moving schedule to simulate sun rise and set.

I mean just for grins you know. If someone has invented it it not cheap.

An electronic smart plug can be programmed to turn on an off at sunset based on your location but obviously will not adjust spectrum. Like the sun does in different times of the day.
    What you need to mimic the sun

in a green and pleasant land

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (16-03-19), Sadface (15-03-19), WhIpLaSh (15-03-19)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3