Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Led, mh, HPS & CMH lighting.

Thanks

Default Led, mh, HPS & CMH lighting.

There are so many options out there nowadays. I remember when all we had was HPS and mh. We were just beginning to use cfl bulbs and 4 foot shop light florescent bulbs.

I started growing again and am blown away by the options. I have used most of these and am waiting to begin to use a CMH light. Here is a quick note on what I have noted.

Mh great for vegative growth. The old school fav. Uses lots of electricity lots of heat. Not sutable for young plants unless from a distance.

HPS still the best bulb for flowering. Like mh produces heat and not energy efficient.

Led many variables with difference in spectrum diodes wattage of LEDs cob style different lens and reflection. There are a ton of options. Energy efficient low heat and daisy chainable without a controller. Burple light is not natural and some may dislike it also may make plant trouble diagnosis a little harder. My main negative in dealing with the tech is 1 the lack of canopy penetration and 2 the lack of spread or hot spot spread. What I mean by that is super high lumuns in the center but drops on the outer edges of your grow area. A directional beam with little penetration. That being said start to finish they work just work best for sog or scrog.

Florescent or cfl is in my opinion the absolute best for tight internodal growth for seedlings clones and small vegative stage. Light penetration is an issue aswell. The are cheap and energy efficient. In a sog with enough of them you can successfully bud a plant however in my experience the buds were loose and not sale quality.

I just purchased a CMH light they are only available in 315w bulbs a 630 is just two bulbs or some strange 2 ended bulb that is essentially 2 bulbs. Supposedly 50 percentage cooler than HPS. Energy efficient more than HPS less than led. Also apparently produces a better spectrum. At 315w that already 85w less than your standard 400w mh or hps. I think light penetration may be an issue. The bulbs are expensive 60 to 90 USD. They need to be replaced every 20000 hours but supposedly hold there lumuns for longer.

There are other advantages and disadvantages not mentioned. I read somewhere on here that it really is what suits your needs.

The other thing I noticed is they all work. Some better than others. What are your thoughts? Has anyone successfully used a CMH?
    My grow diary.
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...oudly-presents

I document so when pounds are found they know who grew it. 10 ounce store bought limit. No limit on what you can have from your home harvest as long as you can prove you green it. So here go.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gabriel Green Hands For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (14-03-19), GEORGE (14-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times

Everybody is using quantum boards now , I looked at cmh before buying a 660w quantum board set up and a 260w qb for veg , cmh work really well from what I’ve seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Click916 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Click916 View Post
    Everybody is using quantum boards now , I looked at cmh before buying a 660w quantum board set up and a 260w qb for veg , cmh work really well from what I’ve seen

I just got a CMH to experiment with. My first impression was that it is amazingly bright for 315w. It was a clean mostly natrual light. I forget the bulb temp I purchased with it. The plants (veg) seemed to respond well new growth etc. I also noticed the extreme amount of heat coming from the bulb ballast combo.

Now I know what most will say dude should have gotten an external ballast. Yeah but still no. Hell no. As in hell no is this cooler than a 400w HPS with an open nonair-cooled hood. The kind I used to use in the past except now with a digital ballast.

The ballast on the CMH was so hot I seriously did not feel comfortable using it unattended. The bulb the ballast they both produced way too much heat.

Also they claim that they are more in spectrum or par than mh. I don't know I can tell you the plants responded well under veg.

Cost of an air cooled hood with external ballast for CMH is high. Way higher than the budget dimmable 400 600 and 1000w cheap HPS MH combos that include both bulbs that are cheaper to replace than CMH bulbs. 1000w air-cooled cheaper... Come on.

For these reasons I personally see CMH as a novelty rather than a better solution. It's like hey this grows plants too but it's just not as reasonable a solution.

So I have read that HPS is still king of the 12/12. If this is true then hmmm CMH for veg right? No. Again mh cheaper better. Or florescent even better for clones and young rooted clones. So where does CMH fit in? No where in my grow room friend.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gabriel Green Hands For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,416 Times

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

British green (15-03-19), CityDweller (14-03-19), GEORGE (14-03-19), WhIpLaSh (14-03-19)

Thanks

Nothing has convinced me yet to convert to qb but fuck it's close ,just not yet imho ..hps for me but for how long ,12 months minimum

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

British green (15-03-19), CityDweller (14-03-19), GEORGE (14-03-19)

Thanks

When they sort the drivers and make em more user friendly,,certainly in the dimming side of it ..they geting there but not just yet

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So quick recap after spending some money on budget to mid cost solutions...

Go old-school and manage the heat used mh/HPS setup. Aka a good winter set up.

Go for the led for pain free no heat grow. Expect less yield and more stretching but they work and are cheap to buy and run.

Florescent also a great solution for younger plants and cuttings. Either shop lights or cfls. I have never used t5 and have had super tight nodes.

There it is straight truth without marketing hype. My own cash no sponser. Not that this testing was busy any means scientific but honestly I don't need to run something for long to see plant response and how much heat they produce. Some things are just commen sense.
    Last edited by Gabriel Green Hands; 14-03-19 at 04:29 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gabriel Green Hands For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My veg room is t5s my flower room is hps

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You must be copy and pasting mate with your posts,your not half going round the houses to get to the shops

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sadface View Post
    When they sort the drivers and make em more user friendly,,certainly in the dimming side of it ..they geting there but not just yet
    What I would like to see is something that mimics nature. A light that adjust spectrum based on time of day much like the sun on a realistic light moving schedule to simulate sun rise and set.

I mean just for grins you know. If someone has invented it it not cheap.

An electronic smart plug can be programmed to turn on an off at sunset based on your location but obviously will not adjust spectrum. Like the sun does in different times of the day.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel Green Hands For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-03-19)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast