Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sealed Grow Room - Where does the O2 come from

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Michigan, USA.
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 3 Posts

    Default Sealed Grow Room - Where does the O2 come from

    Hi everyone, I am setting up a sealed (closed looped) grow room that is absolutely sealed. The only opening is the entry door which is also well sealed. The space is 1700 cu. ft. It was cold in this new area this morning so I thought I would heat it up with a 30,000 btu. propane heater. I left the space for a half an hour while the space warmed. When I returned to the space I tried to light a butane lighter it would not light. I tried a second lighter I happened to have in my pocket with the same results. I left the room and both lighters lit right up. I deduced that my new space was void of ample oxygen. I chose a closed looped system so I could have a completely controlled environment to support the best growth. My question is how can I make sure the that my new grow area will have sufficient O2 for both myself and my plants? I realize the plants will generate a small amount oxygen but[U] I plan on employing a natural gas CO2 generating in the space that will also be depleting the O2. I the winter here it gets in the double digits stupid cool outside and I did not plan on inducing any air exchanges. How would I solve this if it were a issue?

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to divingdavy For This Useful Post:

    British green (18-03-19), CaptainChronic (18-03-19), CityDweller (18-03-19), Greengrass (18-03-19), hotshot (18-03-19), WF420 (18-03-19)

  3. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3,274
    Thanks
    8,620
    Thanked 10,668 Times in 2,990 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divingdavy View Post
    Hi everyone, I am setting up a sealed (closed looped) grow room that is absolutely sealed. The only opening is the entry door which is also well sealed. The space is 1700 cu. ft. It was cold in this new area this morning so I thought I would heat it up with a 30,000 btu. propane heater. I left the space for a half an hour while the space warmed. When I returned to the space I tried to light a butane lighter it would not light. I tried a second lighter I happened to have in my pocket with the same results. I left the room and both lighters lit right up. I deduced that my new space was void of ample oxygen. I chose a closed looped system so I could have a completely controlled environment to support the best growth. My question is how can I make sure the that my new grow area will have sufficient O2 for both myself and my plants? I realize the plants will generate a small amount oxygen but[U] I plan on employing a natural gas CO2 generating in the space that will also be depleting the O2. I the winter here it gets in the double digits stupid cool outside and I did not plan on inducing any air exchanges. How would I solve this if it were a issue?
    Youll have an intake and extraction system yeah? So fresh air will be added to your room some way or another

    Plus its the roots that need oxygen which they get from the water when you feed

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

    British green (18-03-19), CaptainChronic (18-03-19), CityDweller (18-03-19), Greengrass (18-03-19), hotshot (18-03-19)

  5. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Back room
    Posts
    7,574
    Thanks
    45,141
    Thanked 31,863 Times in 6,708 Posts

    Default

    Pretty sure you dont do the CO2 when lights off and with the photosynthesis occuring during lights on, the plants will produce their own O2 both day & night

    I could be wrong though

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

    British green (18-03-19), CityDweller (18-03-19), G' (19-03-19), Greengrass (18-03-19), hotshot (21-03-19), WF420 (18-03-19)

  7. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    15,443
    Thanks
    61,180
    Thanked 61,511 Times in 14,628 Posts

    Default

    How many plants do you intend on growing? That's quite a large space?
    Plants need fresh air so at one point in there day you need to introduce some fresh air


    in a green and pleasant land

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

    CityDweller (18-03-19), G' (19-03-19), Greengrass (18-03-19), hotshot (21-03-19), Kurdt (18-03-19), WF420 (18-03-19)

  9. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Michigan, USA.
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    I am sorry I did not mention the propane heater was only temporary while I get the space completed. When completed a mini split will heat and cool the space. I was really concerned if the natural gas generator will deplete oxygen in the space. Will the generator create a toxic environment ? Will the plants put out more o2 then the generator will use? I plan on having approximately 12 plants in the space, The only thing about this subject was for the site madsci.org. and the below is really not written in a way that I can translate myself with certainty. The co2 burner will be a 4 burner.

    Plants generate oxygen (O2) during photosynthesis according to the equation 6CO2 + 6H2O ===> C6H12O6 + 6CO2. Any factor that affects photosynthesis will change the rate of oxygen release. Some of these factors include amount of light and water available, soil nutrients, temperature and even specific characteristics of the plant.

    "However, it is possible to estimate the amount of oxygen released by the plant with some basic mathematics and simple assumptions. If we consider that 80% of the fresh weight of the plant is water and aproximatelly 40% of the rest is carbon, for every 150 grams of plant tissue grown, 32 grams of oxygen are released. If you know the weight of your plant, you can calculate how much oxygen it released in the atmosphere during its whole life. Just to give an idea of how much is that, 32g of oxigen means 22 liters of oxygen under the usual conditions of temperature and pressure (try to imagine how many bottles you can fill with that!)."

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to divingdavy For This Useful Post:

    CaptainChronic (18-03-19), G' (19-03-19), hotshot (21-03-19)

  11. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    53,283
    Thanks
    140,910
    Thanked 149,006 Times in 42,899 Posts

    Default

    I hope you have read the rules.... actually, I know that you haven't!

    ...and I hope your 'approximately 12 plants' means 10 or less....
    "The purpose of our lives is to be happy."
    (Dalai Lama)

  12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

    AND (19-03-19), CaptainChronic (18-03-19), CityDweller (18-03-19), G' (19-03-19), Greengrass (18-03-19), hotshot (21-03-19), Ironman (18-03-19), Kurdt (19-03-19), WF420 (18-03-19)

  13. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Michigan, USA.
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    I do not quite understand. I do not mean to break any rules. In Michigan our new law states you can grow up to 12 plants. So I guess I should have said a maximum of 12 plants will be in my new grow room.

  14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to divingdavy For This Useful Post:

    CaptainChronic (18-03-19), CityDweller (18-03-19), G' (19-03-19), Greengrass (18-03-19), hotshot (21-03-19), M_C (18-03-19)

  15. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    53,283
    Thanks
    140,910
    Thanked 149,006 Times in 42,899 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divingdavy View Post
    I do not quite understand. I do not mean to break any rules. In Michigan our new law states you can grow up to 12 plants. So I guess I should have said a maximum of 12 plants will be in my new grow room.
    Michigan state laws mean nothing here & our plant limit is 10

  16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

    AND (19-03-19), BB (18-03-19), British green (19-03-19), CaptainChronic (18-03-19), CityDweller (18-03-19), Easy-T (18-03-19), G' (19-03-19), gardro (18-03-19), Greengrass (18-03-19), hotshot (21-03-19), Ironman (18-03-19), Kurdt (19-03-19), WF420 (18-03-19)

  17. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    South uk
    Posts
    1,955
    Thanks
    1,445
    Thanked 7,499 Times in 1,875 Posts

    Default




    Please check out my diary.

    Millwall Does G13 Gigabud under QB’s using Biotabs
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8&share_type=t

  18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to millwall115 For This Useful Post:

    CaptainChronic (18-03-19), CityDweller (19-03-19), G' (19-03-19), hotshot (21-03-19), WF420 (18-03-19)

  19. #10

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    7 Rhiw Rd, Colwyn Bay LL29 7TF
    Posts
    281
    Thanks
    686
    Thanked 866 Times in 203 Posts

    Default

    I thought the plant limit was 8 ?

    EDIT! I just re-read the rules for the first time since 2011 and it says 10 plants, BRB just gonna soak a couple more beans haha
    Last edited by CaptainChronic; 18-03-19 at 11:20 PM.
    Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

  20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainChronic For This Useful Post:

    AND (19-03-19), British green (19-03-19), CityDweller (19-03-19), G' (19-03-19), gardro (18-03-19), hotshot (21-03-19), M_C (18-03-19), WhIpLaSh (19-03-19)

  21. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,595
    Thanks
    22,015
    Thanked 33,196 Times in 8,204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChronic View Post
    I thought the plant limit was 8 ?

    EDIT! I just re-read the rules for the first time since 2011 and it says 10 plants, BRB just gonna soak a couple more beans haha
    Its so nice when its this way round

  22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

    AND (19-03-19), British green (19-03-19), CaptainChronic (18-03-19), CityDweller (19-03-19), G' (19-03-19), hotshot (21-03-19), M_C (18-03-19), WhIpLaSh (19-03-19)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


THCtalk.com Disclaimer - You must be over 18 years old to view/use this site .THCtalk.com does not encourage growing Cannabis or possessing Cannabis. Learning how to grow Cannabis instructions should be for educational purposes only. All Information contained in this web site is for: Historical reference, Scientific reference and Educational purposes only. Visitors to this website are advised against breaking the law as It is illegal to smoke, grow, or possess cannabis in the UK and some US States