Thread: Root rot help PLEASE

Thanks

Exclamation Root rot help PLEASE

So i got root rot, i was running a live system with Great white and Mammoth P. My temps where between 18.5 and 19.5. I think it all started cause i built my own system and a feeder line running about 3 inches above the water line this got wet but wasn't constantly chilled so i believe it created the perfect environment for bacteria as it got splashed more fell into the res and took hold.

Now i think i caught it early as they showed no signs deficiency on the plant only slimy smelly roots. I have washed all the roots, put them in the flowering system with Silver bullet, i did this 3 days ago. The plants are looking a bit droopy and showing various deficiencies i'm thinking this could be shock from the H2O2? but the roots are white. I was sold on just running sterile for the rest of the run, but after reading i'm not sure if i would be better off introducing the beneficial bacteria back in. I was going to flick them today but i don't want to flick unhealthy plants.

I was wondering what you would do in this situation, or if you have had to battle root rot before what did you do and did it work.

EC is at 1.1 PH is 5.9 both of which have been stable since i added the silver bullet.

Any help right now is much appreciated.

BBB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBudsB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

I am sure more experienced RDWC growers will help here but all I can say is I was in exactly the same position as you on my first grow. I did try to save them but ended up scrapping them.

If you have added Silver Bullet you will now have a job going back live mid grow unless you can drain and flush your system well. Apparently SB has a longer life than H2o2 and your microbes won't survive if you still have it in your system.

Did you burn your roots with high ec when the plants were young then realise what you had done and lower it?

Keep your eye on Ph and watch for it dropping, this will tell you if there are still root problems. Some strains take it far better than others.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    I am sure more experienced RDWC growers will help here but all I can say is I was in exactly the same position as you on my first grow. I did try to save them but ended up scrapping them.

If you have added Silver Bullet you will now have a job going back live mid grow unless you can drain and flush your system well. Apparently SB has a longer life than H2o2 and your microbes won't survive if you still have it in your system.

Did you burn your roots with high ec when the plants were young then realise what you had done and lower it?

Keep your eye on Ph and watch for it dropping, this will tell you if there are still root problems. Some strains take it far better than others.
    Thanks for the reply.

I ran exactly the same nutrients and bennies that iv run every other grow, everything has been great until now. As for PH my PH has always dropped I've always put this down to the fact i live in an area where the tap water has an EC of 0.73 and PH of 7.4-7.6 so i use hardly any nutrients because i cant run R/O. and have to use LOADS of PH down, and my roots and plant have always been healthy. Maybe i'm completely wrong in thinking that.

As far as the silver bulet goes, its got a silver ion i think it is that stabilises it so it can last up to 5 weeks. I could dump the water that's in there run a 24 hours flush then dump that and reintroduce the bennies?

Like i say they were not looking bad at all up top and i wouldn't of noticed if i hadn't had a peek at the roots. They only started to look a bit sad since being hit with H2O2.

what bennies do you use?? and do you have something in the system where they can thrive cause although i have always used them iv always wondered weather they actually thrive or die? My buddy has like a sponge in his res with an air stone it??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBudsB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-03-19)

Thanks

I have just started to use TNC Bactorr instead of Hydroguard. IMO TNC Bactorr seems to work alot better. The microbes should get into your pebbles and roots but I do have some bio foam in my epicenter (tied so it doesn't flow down the pipes) I'm sure it is unnecessary but I still have it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	microbes.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	370908

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

BigBudsB (24-03-19), GEORGE (23-03-19)

Thanks

I would redose every 10 days at half strength.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

BigBudsB (24-03-19), GEORGE (23-03-19)