Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First ever grow hydro with autos - bought ages ago - loads of questions still :)

Thanks

Oh, also, when is the plant magic cal-mag best to be introduced into the mix?

Tomorrow or shortly after I'll look at trying to draw up a rough watering guide of how much I need to mix each week based on what I have, but as mentioned earlier, it probably makes sense to not get the Silicone which I don't own yet (unless it will significantly boost my grow)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerryTit For This Useful Post:

AND (25-03-19), GEORGE (27-03-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTit View Post
    Another question though. Seedlings. Once I've got my taproot (in the dark?) As soon as it goes into the coco, should I then fire up my 600w 24/7 onto them? I've searched and seen some recommending CFLs for early stage. I don't have any CFLs though, and will need the cfl holder, so wondering if the additional cost is worth it vs the extra expense on running the 7. If I ran in CFL too, I'd have to start it off in the house I think too to ensure the temps are ok, before moving the pots seeing as I'm relying on the 600w for some of the heating in the room too

Thanks
    This is one of the points that photos & autos are totally different.

Obviously, when the seed is still below ground then there is little to be gained by having lights on but once the seedling is above ground, then with an auto, hit it with full on lighting. If a photoperiod then the lighting on the veg period is less important as the veg time is decided by light schedules
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

AND (25-03-19), GEORGE (27-03-19), TerryTit (27-03-19)

Thanks

Good luck with grow m8

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobdurban For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-03-19), TerryTit (27-03-19)

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6EE48FA1-519D-4E1A-A065-33BDDDB4F513 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	371032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49AF3CA8-02EB-4E3B-B1BB-DEC76A28F86A.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	371033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99CB233F-0084-4158-AB58-8A70D38BC0F1.jpg 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	371034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09762D5D-42FA-48AC-8892-54277985AFAF.jpg 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	371035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1C46F6E-6785-4F00-ABDB-4CB4997B72D1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	371036

Thanks all,

So yesterday started assembling bits and bobs, tent up etc.

I struggled working out the best way to hang the carbon filter, I tried wrapping around the end bar plus a single movable bar, but it just caused the bar to pull itself right to the edge of the tent. In the end I settled with the belt thing twisted a little to hold it

The stupid mistake I made, and deciding what to do about ....

The ducting I'd bought years ago was "Rhino Approved" (allegedly) 6" Sono ducting
    I'd also bought 6" clamps, to go around the 6" filter.

What I didn't even consider, was the fact that the acoustic ducting is much thicker than regular 6" ducting

What I also didn't consider or think about when started it, was that the crap inside it is fibreglass. And there was me doing it in a dressing gown and little else, I didn't even think to put gloves or glasses on - big mistake, itchy as anything all over and spelk like things everywhere

I'm not sure on the quality of the ducting. The outside bit seems a little bit thicker, but the inside was super thin and tore very easily. It also has lots of little holes on the inner one that effectively leaks into the fibre glass section. I've done a bit of searching and it seems some versions of acoustic ducting have a plastic membrane inside. This appears not to.

I peeled back the layer of ducting a bit, and managed to bodge the inner portion, with the 6" clamp and tightened it (now wondering if tightened too tight). I then pushed forward the fibreglass and outer layer as close as I could to the filter, then wrapped it it in a bit of silver tape. That tape is super sticky, and quite hard to work with in the small corner, especially when uncomfortable and gagging a bit from the fibreglass stuff, so it is pretty roughly wrapped, and I hope I've covered the whole thing with no leaks to the outside

From what I think, in theory if the fibreglass is exposed to the smell, the smell will just absorb through the fibreglass and then into the inner ducting through the small holes, so I'm a bit worried about this. Maybe the amount would be negligable?

As a result, I'm wondering if I should just rip it out, and buy some regular ducting. I see Rhino do some black Combi Ductingm that is described as being pretty durable.

The other thing too, is if when it starts to flower and if I then notice i've fucked up and its stinking, trying to rip it out mid grow, it'll splatter the plants in fibreglass which would be really bad

It was also one hell of a squeeze to try and force the 6" sono ducting through the smaller 6" gap in the tent. now para in case I have tore some other outer bits that I haven't spotted yet

I plan to hang the RVK fan outside the tent to pull through. We have some hooks on the ceiling so may suspend the RVK from that

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TerryTit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-03-19), MrBlobby (27-03-19), M_C (27-03-19)

9. Default

Sorry mate but the thought of all that itching in a dressing gown and nothing else at all made me chuckle

I've used this type of acoustic ducting in the past with no issues at all, however, if you're really this concerned about it then perhaps you should replace it now (if you can) so at the minimum, it will remove one issue you will most likely be stressing over throughout the grow. I've seen some good 'acoustic' ducting these days which comes without all that glass-fibre. This new one is called 'Phonic Trap Ducting' only down side is that it's much more expensive.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-03-19), TerryTit (27-03-19)

Thanks

Haha yup it wasn't my finest hour that's for sure

Thankfully my tackle was covered so at least some bits survived, no matter how small And no doubt my dressing gown will need 50 washes to get it all out

In hindsight I should of bought the larger clips...When you used it did you just use regular clips installed around the inner covering? Or were you sensible enough to (whilst clothed), get a larger one and secure it around the outside too.

It's definitely very finicky work though and I'm clumsy and fat fingered!!

Any way of testing for smell leaks without having an actual grow in? Half tempted to stick a dog turd in there and see what happens

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerryTit For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-03-19), IceCalibur (27-03-19)

13. Default

Well at least the tackle was covered, can't imagine getting fibreglass down there..would have been torture for sure

When I used mine I had the larger clips and secured it on the outside too mate (fully clothed lol), as far as testing I wouldn't go with the dog turd lmao..maybe try cup of coffee or something with a nice strong scent.

We all live and learn mate, that's the beauty of it in the end hey

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-03-19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2