Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: How long for worms for make compost tea?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

For instance Alfalfa is 12:1 N:C
    So I need equal amounts of something at 360:1 C:N (12x30)

So from that list, equal amounts alfalfa and shredded cardboard would be roughly 30:1 C:N

Just have to judge and guess working from that list and a little rudementery maths lol which I suck at fyi.
    Last edited by Gaz; 09-04-19 at 06:30 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (09-04-19), Dr Green (14-04-19), GEORGE (09-04-19), redisiel (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,186 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    For instance Alfalfa is 12:1 N:C
    So I need equal amounts of something at 360:1 C:N (12x30)

So from that list, equal amounts alfalfa and shredded cardboard would be roughly 30:1 C:N

Just have to judge and guess working from that list and a little rudementery maths lol which I suck at fyi.
    Cheers mate, that's great information. You've done a great job at simplifying it for me thanks a ton

For some strange reason my like button ain't working on tapa.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr Green For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (09-04-19), Gaz (09-04-19), GEORGE (09-04-19), redisiel (13-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Master Kief View Post
    Cheers mate, that's great information. You've done a great job at simplifying it for me thanks a ton

For some strange reason my like button ain't working on tapa.

No. Worries mate

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (09-04-19), Dr Green (14-04-19), GEORGE (09-04-19), redisiel (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Does gypsum salts help breakdown the shell of pests within the soil. That is the larvae?

What your thinking of mate is shrimp/krill( crustaceans) which contain Chitan this is gem broken down by microbes changing it to chitinase and this is what attacks the exoskeleton of the pests.

Also, is it normal to get like white hairy mould in the worm bin? I ain't sure whether it's the process of the food breaking down in humus

This at a guess would be mycelium mate it’s a fungal growth and no harm at all, it’s a good thing to see as long as it doesn’t start to go black/green or start to smell anaerobic
    The beneficial nematodes are Steinernema feltiae.
    Atb
    Redz
    Last edited by redisiel; 13-04-19 at 09:13 PM.
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (13-04-19), Dr Green (14-04-19), Gaz (13-04-19), GEORGE (13-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,186 Times

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    What your thinking of mate is shrimp/krill( crustaceans) which contain Chitan this is gem broken down by microbes changing it to chitinase and this is what attacks the exoskeleton of the pests.

This at a guess would be mycelium mate it’s a fungal growth and no harm at all, it’s a good thing to see as long as it doesn’t start to go black/green or start to smell anaerobic
    The beneficial nematodes are Steinernema feltiae.
    Atb
    Redz
    Cheers mate for the help. Alls looking good so far in the worm bin. I'm hoping to get a compost tea brewing soon, should be fun haha

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr Green For This Useful Post:

Gaz (14-04-19), GEORGE (14-04-19)

Thanks

To make a batch of basic compost tea with worm castings, all you really need to do is soak some vermicompost overnight in water. I prefer to use something as a makeshift tea bag because it makes it less messy but it is not necessary. Here is the basic worm compost tea recipe that I use.

-Find something to use as a compost tea bag (old t-shirt, pantyhose, cheese clothe, etc). For more about compost tea bags read: What to use as a Compost Tea Bag
    -Fill your homemade tea bag with worm compost and tie off the open end of the tea bag somehow.
    -Submerge the worm compost tea bag in a bucket of water. I use a 5-gallon bucket but any size bucket will work.
    -Let it sit overnight. In the morning the water should be light brown.
    -Because the beneficial microbes in the worm compost tea will start to die off, water your garden first thing in the morning for best results.
    -Remove the worm compost tea bag from the bucket, cut it open and add the worm compost either to your garden, your worm compost bin, or your hot compost pile.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrearosales For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (19-09-19), Gaz (18-09-19), GEORGE (18-09-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrearosales View Post
    To make a batch of basic compost tea with worm castings, all you really need to do is soak some vermicompost overnight in water. I prefer to use something as a makeshift tea bag because it makes it less messy but it is not necessary. Here is the basic worm compost tea recipe that I use.

-Find something to use as a compost tea bag (old t-shirt, pantyhose, cheese clothe, etc). For more about compost tea bags read: What to use as a Compost Tea Bag
    -Fill your homemade tea bag with worm compost and tie off the open end of the tea bag somehow.
    -Submerge the worm compost tea bag in a bucket of water. I use a 5-gallon bucket but any size bucket will work.
    -Because the beneficial microbes in the worm compost tea will start to die off, water your garden first thing in the morning for best results.
    -Remove the worm compost tea bag from the bucket, cut it open and add the worm compost either to your garden, your worm compost bin, or your hot compost pile.
    Much better aerated in a brewer and with some mollases so there are simple sugars mate

Also 6 month old thread mate lol its not Easter yet LOL

Moreover, overnight brew is gonna pretty poor as microbe populations dont become optimal until 48 hours aeration and 72 if we want protozoa, this has beem ascertained with use of microscopic testing and extensive work by Tim Wilson
    Last edited by Gaz; 18-09-19 at 05:24 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (19-09-19), GEORGE (18-09-19), redisiel (18-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Quote Originally Posted by andrearosales View Post

Good stuff mate but it’s not a compost tea, it’s a extract !!

Anyone harvesting any ewc yet ??
    Redz

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

Dr Green (19-09-19), Gaz (18-09-19), GEORGE (18-09-19), IceCalibur (18-09-19)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7