Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: How long for worms for make compost tea?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,186 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    On worm bins, mine os slowly getting there. The tiger worms deffo deal with the harsher conditions and are still alive and well. Ive been adding a little lime every 4 weeks but they arent breeding fast enough so Im gonna add some red wrigglers in there at the end of April to speed it up. Ive not even filled a quarter of the bin since January time so Im trying not to over feed them.
    Lime as in the fruit lime? Lol, I'm guessing it helps control the moisture of the bin? How's the smell as well bud, sorry for all the questions haha

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr Green For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-04-19), Gaz (01-04-19), GEORGE (02-04-19), redisiel (01-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Master Kief View Post
    Lime as in the fruit lime? Lol, I'm guessing it helps control the moisture of the bin? How's the smell as well bud, sorry for all the questions haha

Lime is in lime stone mate, sorts out the pH of the bin. Mines outside so smell not an issue per say but no it doesnt really smell as Im careful about what goes in mate . Same as the compost bin man, don't want a stinky bin of any kind really.

You cant just chuck any scraps in there mate as some stuff will ruin the castings and make it stink to fuck lol.
    Last edited by Gaz; 01-04-19 at 06:00 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-04-19), Dr Green (01-04-19), GEORGE (02-04-19), redisiel (01-04-19)

Thanks

Lime is in lime stone mate, sorts out the pH of the bin. Mines outside so smell not an issue but no it doesnt really smell as Im careful about what goes in mate

You cant just chuck any scraps in there mate as some stuff will ruin the castings and make it stink to fuck lol.
    I've made sure that I only put certain scraps in. The bin doesn't smell, it's the other container where I collect the scraps but i think there is too much moisture. Will chuck some tissue in there to help draw the moisture out.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr Green For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-04-19), GEORGE (02-04-19), redisiel (01-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

Lime is in lime stone mate, sorts out the pH of the bin. Mines outside so smell not an issue per say but no it doesnt really smell as Im careful about what goes in mate . Same as the compost bin man, don't want a stinky bin of any kind really.

More to the point why would you put fruit in for instance when it’s about 90%water we want some goodness in our castings boys.
    Haven’t heard of line in the bin before neither worrying about the ph tbh I just let the microbes do there shit.

@Gaz are you seeing any mites yet in the bin??
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-04-19), Dr Green (01-04-19), Gaz (01-04-19), GEORGE (02-04-19)

Thanks

Just a rough sketch. Am going to have a look around the house, see what I can salvage as funds are a bit low atm. Will keep you updated

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr Green For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    More to the point why would you put fruit in for instance when it’s about 90%water we want some goodness in our castings boys.
    Haven’t heard of line in the bin before neither worrying about the ph tbh I just let the microbes do there shit.

@Gaz are you seeing any mites yet in the bin??
    Redz
    Yeah it was just the advice from the wormery people and they gave me some lime free so why not lol probably bullshit then if youve not heard of it. Cant say Ive heard of it anywhere else now you mention it lol. Ah well lol

Theres a bit of insect life, mainly the odd gnat but I havent noticed any mites brother, should I be?

I use fruit but all in line with carbon to nitrogen ratio of 30:1. The fruit is just part of the carbon element and mainly banana skins really for potassium. The bulk is vegetables and greens and shredded cardboard and some neem meal, kelp meal, and barley straw.
    Last edited by Gaz; 01-04-19 at 06:23 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (01-04-19), Dr Green (01-04-19), GEORGE (02-04-19), redisiel (01-04-19)

Thanks

Just a rough sketch. Am going to have a look around the house, see what I can salvage as funds are a bit low atm. Will keep you updated

Cant get more organic than that mate if you can recycle thats much better

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If Im honest Redz this first batch of castings will be ok but not a patch on next year's when I have alfalfa and comfrey ect growing in the garden and access to my own organic veg for the worm bin and our bellies

Planting loads of perinial/biannual wild flowers too, a big bed and some pots to keep pest management on point.
    Last edited by Gaz; 01-04-19 at 06:28 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If Im honest Redz this first batch of castings will be ok but not a patch on next year's when I have alfalfa and comfrey ect growing in the garden and access to my own organic veg for the worm bin and our bellies

Planting loads of perinial/biannual wild flowers too, a big bed and some pots to keep pest management on point.
    AHH man, you making me jealous haha. I've seen people with alfalfa and comfrey in their gardens, doesn't it attract beneficial insects? And also help keep pest under control correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning haha

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr Green For This Useful Post:

Thanks

AHH man, you making me jealous haha. I've seen people with alfalfa and comfrey in their gardens, doesn't it attract beneficial insects? And also help keep pest under control correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning haha

Yeah it does, Im planting some queen annes lace which is really good for the benificials and then the wild flowerbed will part bee conservation and part parasitic wasp and pred attraction. All goes hand in hand

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

British green (01-04-19), Cleargreen (01-04-19), Dr Green (01-04-19), GEORGE (02-04-19)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast