Thread: QB boards with Cree 660nm

Thanks

Default QB boards with Cree 660nm

Hi guys

I'm looking into buying QB boards and I have 2 configurations I wanted to check with you all.
    I will buy 2 heat sinks, depending on conf they will be either 940mm or 900mm in length.

Each heat sink will have 3 qb boards on them, the difference will be number of white Samsung lm301b and Cree 660nm leds.

The boards are 3500k so little more blue spectrum then 3000k and using extra the Cree 660nm will give more red spectrum for better bloom.

Conf1
    2 heat sinks with 3 boards on each with 1512 lm301b leds AND 216 cree 660nm leds, total 1728 leds.
    Each heat sink with 3 boards will have one HLG-320H-48B driver.

Conf2
    2 heat sinks with 3 boards on each with 1728 lm301b leds AND 48 cree 660nm leds, total 1776 leds.
    Each heat sink with 3 boards will have one HLG-320H-54B driver.

So as you can see Conf1 has 216 less lm301b leds BUT 168 more Cree 660nm leds AND total 48 leds more.

So my question is which one would you guys prefer and why?
    Would you guys go for more (+216) lm301b leds and only having 48 Cree 660nm but also 48 more leds in total?
    OR
    Would you prefer having less (-216) lm301b leds but much more (+168) Cree 660nm leds and also 48 less leds in total?

Those of you that are familiar with HLG QB v2 boards, imagine those boards and the layout they have.
    Conf1 has 2 leds rows taken out and instead have Cree 660nm in those places (picture 1).

Conf2 has the exact same layout as HLG QB boards but also added 8 Cree 660nm leds in between rows (picture 2).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture 1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	371422
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture 2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	371423

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ivik For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

There may be benefit to gain if the red leds could be powered separately but if they run concurrently its better to have just white.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (12-04-19), GEORGE (11-04-19)

Thanks

I hope manufacturers have some sort of intellectual property in their lighting as, as i predicted, theres going to be a lot of saturation in this led market this year

Margins are going to get tight

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    There may be benefit to gain if the red leds could be powered separately but if they run concurrently its better to have just white.
    Please explain, if they are good to have separately, why not have it together? Looking at the spectrum graphs, the red band got a clear bit higher, would that not be better, specially in bloom?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivik For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ivik View Post
    Please explain, if they are good to have separately, why not have it together? Looking at the spectrum graphs, the red band got a clear bit higher, would that not be better, specially in bloom?
    Theres plenty of red ( and in the correct ratio of reds) in 2100-4000K range so additional red, while not being bad, white will deliver more since its more efficient. Spectrum is less important than par provided the basics are met.

If you could run the reds off a separate trace, you could do something very clever but im not here to design your boards, not knowing who you are, with all due respect.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (12-04-19), GEORGE (11-04-19), Stickysticky (11-04-19)

Thanks

Theres plenty of red ( and in the correct ratio of reds) in 2100-4000K range so additional red, while not being bad, white will deliver more since its more efficient. Spectrum is less important than par provided the basics are met.

If you could run the reds off a separate trace, you could do something very clever but im not here to design your boards, not knowing who you are, with all due respect.
    Please give any advice you have!
    I'm up for completely rethinking my approach, I love to learn new things and always up for new ideas so please, for real, go at it!

"run the reds off a separate trace" does this mean that having 2 different boards (one for white and one for red) or at least being able to control whites and reds individually on the same board?
    If so I have seen couple of those lights (individual controlling of different spectrum's) , they looked really nice and the idea seems most logical, but unfortunately they were expensive and getting them to my country would make them even more expensive (tax).

But perhaps you have a cheaper idea in mind? Would love to hear it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ivik For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-04-19)

Thanks

Please give any advice you have!
    I'm up for completely rethinking my approach, I love to learn new things and always up for new ideas so please, for real, go at it!

"run the reds off a separate trace" does this mean that having 2 different boards (one for white and one for red) or at least being able to control whites and reds individually on the same board?
    If so I have seen couple of those lights (individual controlling of different spectrum's) , they looked really nice and the idea seems most logical, but unfortunately they were expensive and getting them to my country would make them even more expensive (tax).

But perhaps you have a cheaper idea in mind? Would love to hear it!
    Being able to turn off the white and keep the red on allows photoperiod manipulation. It doesnt effect yield though. If you could power the reds separately, that would be a selling point. Can be done through a single board or by having separate boards ( pcbs are expensive though ;-) )

Most of the high end lamps contain red, white and blue to enable other characteristics to be exagerated.

Addressable leds are the latest thing so each emitter can be all things on demand. White is just red green and blue as you know. With a programmable driver, thats where growers can start adding value to these leds and owning the IP.

Can i ask if your boards have any resistors on them?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-04-19)

Thanks

Being able to turn off the white and keep the red on allows photoperiod manipulation. It doesnt effect yield though. If you could power the reds separately, that would be a selling point. Can be done through a single board or by having separate boards ( pcbs are expensive though ;-) )

Most of the high end lamps contain red, white and blue to enable other characteristics to be exagerated.

Addressable leds are the latest thing so each emitter can be all things on demand. White is just red green and blue as you know. With a programmable driver, thats where growers can start adding value to these leds and owning the IP.

Can i ask if your boards have any resistors on them?
    I think I saw one of them in a online store but unfortunately too expensive for me today. I'm only growing for myself so there is no money in it for me and the ones I saw would cost twice as much if not more with tax and all.

The be honest, not sure about the resistors, I could definitely ask the manufacturer, are you thinking to controlling the different spectrum with resistors?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ivik For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-19)

Thanks

I think I saw one of them in a online store but unfortunately too expensive for me today. I'm only growing for myself so there is no money in it for me and the ones I saw would cost twice as much if not more with tax and all.

The be honest, not sure about the resistors, I could definitely ask the manufacturer, are you thinking to controlling the different spectrum with resistors?
    I can show you if you can take a clearer / higher res photo of the boards, the second board in particular. Did you get from Shenzen / Ali Express?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-19)

Thanks

I can show you if you can take a clearer / higher res photo of the boards, the second board in particular. Did you get from Shenzen / Ali Express?
    Yes Shenzen companies, both boards.

The first one from Kingbrite
    And second one is from 2RT, I tried to add link but I have to few posts here and therefor not allowed
    But if you google "QB288-V2-Samsung-lm301B-SK-full-spectrum-Quantum-Board-LED-Grow-Light-with-XPE-660nm" you will find either first or second link to a company named 2RTHK.c0m

I have also looked at boards from Meijiu Lighting.

Any experience with any of them? If you have any under suggestions I would gladly take it, it cannot be USA based company since the tax will kill me and that's so sad since the best stuff I found was in USA
    Either EU company or Chinese, they write whatever I tell them on the package

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ivik For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-04-19)