Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PH and feeding schedule for organic soil

Thanks

Default PH and feeding schedule for organic soil

Has anyone had experience with Moorlands Gold multi purpose organic compost? My plants sprouted three weeks ago and look healthy, should I start to add half strength nutrients (Plant Magic Old Timer) form now on or wait to see how they progress.

I tested the PH of plain water and the run off which both came out at 7.2 so I used vinegar to adjust PH to 6.5 and the run off also came out at 6.5 on the most recent watering. I have read that there is no need to adjust the PH when growing in soil because the soil adjusts it, so is 7.2 in and out ok? Paranoia is setting in.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Regards

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OrganicViper For This Useful Post:

Easy-T (26-04-19), Gaz (26-04-19), GEORGE (27-04-19), Wags (27-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 58,142 Times

Quote Originally Posted by OrganicViper View Post
    Has anyone had experience with Moorlands Gold multi purpose organic compost? My plants sprouted three weeks ago and look healthy, should I start to add half strength nutrients (Plant Magic Old Timer) form now on or wait to see how they progress.

I tested the PH of plain water and the run off which both came out at 7.2 so I used vinegar to adjust PH to 6.5 and the run off also came out at 6.5 on the most recent watering. I have read that there is no need to adjust the PH when growing in soil because the soil adjusts it, so is 7.2 in and out ok? Paranoia is setting in.

Regards
    If your in soil don't touch the pH, just leave your water out 24 hrs that's it, shouldn't think they need nutes just yet, should have enough feed in

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet."

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Easy-T For This Useful Post:

Gaz (26-04-19), GEORGE (27-04-19), IceCalibur (26-04-19), M_C (26-04-19), OrganicViper (27-04-19), redisiel (26-04-19), Wags (27-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

I’m sure Gaz will be in soon mate he’ll help you out, but you won’t be needing a ph pen that’s for sure!
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

British green (27-04-19), Gaz (26-04-19), GEORGE (27-04-19), IceCalibur (26-04-19), OrganicViper (27-04-19), Wags (27-04-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 62,510 Times

Quote Originally Posted by OrganicViper View Post

Regards
    Hey mate,

The pH of those inputs are fine, really no need to add vinegar, moorland gold is good quality and will buffer the tap water at 7.2 just fine mate. Well done for checking though

At 3 weeks in that compost you wont be needing anything but water for now mate.

If the lower leaves yellow then consider a low dose feed mate but dont throw feed at the plant man.

Some pics would be helpful

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

British green (27-04-19), GEORGE (27-04-19), IceCalibur (26-04-19), redisiel (26-04-19), Wags (27-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redisiel View Post
    I’m sure Gaz will be in soon mate he’ll help you out, but you won’t be needing a ph pen that’s for sure!
    Redz
    Lol how did you know brother hahah

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

British green (27-04-19), GEORGE (27-04-19), IceCalibur (26-04-19), redisiel (26-04-19), Wags (27-04-19)

Thanks

I would consider microbe teas to forfill the potential of the organic soil mix also. You can brew these yourself or ecothrive biosys tea is well thought off

Id say teas before any nutes IMO, get that soil going and maybe a top dress of malted barley powder

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-19), IceCalibur (26-04-19), OrganicViper (27-04-19), redisiel (26-04-19), Wags (27-04-19)

Thanks

Redz has mislead you though as he is the authority on organics well in excess of me but it was kind of him

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-19), IceCalibur (27-04-19), OrganicViper (27-04-19), Wags (27-04-19)

Thanks

Sorry let me explain the malted barley powder, ita full of enzymes. The big one is amylase which is in our saliva and breaks down carbohydrates. So makes sense right, a little barley powder watered in will speed up the enzymatic reactions that provide the nutrients for the plants and the microbial life. The microbes feed the plants mate, those nutes just feed the microbes but there is plenty in ya soil already. Just need enough of a microbial system to utilise it.
    Last edited by Gaz; 26-04-19 at 11:39 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gaz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-19), IceCalibur (27-04-19), OrganicViper (27-04-19), Wags (27-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Hey mate,

The pH of those inputs are fine, really no need to add vinegar, moorland gold is good quality and will buffer the tap water at 7.2 just fine mate. Well done for checking though

At 3 weeks in that compost you wont be needing anything but water for now mate.

If the lower leaves yellow then consider a low dose feed mate but dont throw feed at the plant man.

Some pics would be helpful
    Thanks, I'm getting the same advice from experienced growers. Probably will start a diary, also aiming to get a bigger tent so will be good to follow grows and weigh yeilds etc. Don't want to upload photos from my phone so will use my ordinary camera, just don't want plant photos going all over the place.

Regards

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrganicViper For This Useful Post:

Gaz (27-04-19), GEORGE (27-04-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Sorry let me explain the malted barley powder, ita full of enzymes. The big one is amylase which is in our saliva and breaks down carbohydrates. So makes sense right, a little barley powder watered in will speed up the enzymatic reactions that provide the nutrients for the plants and the microbial life. The microbes feed the plants mate, those nutes just feed the microbes but there is plenty in ya soil already. Just need enough of a microbial system to utilise it.
    Thanks again for the info. Will be going to a grow shop on Wed so will get some ecothrive. Can you give me an idea of how much barley powder to water ratio? Cheers.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrganicViper For This Useful Post:

Gaz (27-04-19), GEORGE (27-04-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast