Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Parabolic Reflectors

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    Good bit of thinking here.

Go off the spec reflection coefficient for the reflector surface for how much light is reflected.

Bear in mind the distance travelled by the light, this is key ( parabolics makes use of this )

CFL works for the example but imagine the light lost between each tube and within the tubes. Gash lights lol.

It would be good to compare the bulb in same orientation, with and without reflector too.
    Very true Gardro mate, I forgot to take into account the fact we can get this reflector closer to our plants, which is very important.

I'll update this thread once I have the parabolic reflector and a light meter and I'll do some tests..won't be anytime soon though unfortunately.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

AND (17-06-19), C-Rex (08-05-19), gardro (10-05-19), GEORGE (10-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

I did the test with my light meter and horizontal fixed bulbs give off more par but spread less outwards dependi g on reflector . Im sure a retrofitted parabolic with a horizontally mounted bulb would be the cats ass tbh .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

AND (17-06-19), C-Rex (10-06-19), GEORGE (10-06-19), IceCalibur (13-06-19)

Thanks

I use a regular reflector similar to an old style street lamp, with the bulb hanging with it's base upward. I grow a lot of Sativas and they are pretty tall. Having the light vertical allows me to provide a ton of side lighting, similar to sitting around a camp fire, with each plant getting light from slightly off center from above and a ton of light coming in from the sides. With brightly reflective walls and mylar sheeting, I cover the interior of the grow area nicely with large yields from the Sativa plants. I try to keep the Indica strains closer to the center, where they can live in the shorter spaces under the lights. I try to train the branches to fill in the areas under the lights, so that the plants are surrounding the bulbs, while a lot of the branches will be trained to fill i the area under the bulbs, giving me good luminosity both under the lights, but around the perimeter as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hoonroom.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	373073
    Last edited by Jimster; 10-06-19 at 04:23 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

AND (17-06-19), C-Rex (10-06-19), GEORGE (10-06-19), IceCalibur (13-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,685 Times

All I’m gonna say is , try it... you won’t be disappointed bro ... you can get that bulb super close ... I’ve noticed a massive diff already n I only switched a couple weeks ago

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedonistic Hippy For This Useful Post:

AND (17-06-19), IceCalibur (13-06-19)

Thanks

Sounds like a light intensity calculation. Would need a really good accurate light meter and a load of averages but it could be refined right down if you had a controller to control the watts and provide many more figures. Sounds like something worthwhile. This would be great as an electronic calculator if this is where you're thinking of going with this

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e11 For This Useful Post:

AND (17-06-19), IceCalibur (16-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,472 Times

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Ok guys so I was in a different thread conversating the positives of hanging a CFL horizontally thus making more use of the light..and made this image to explain why it would help, especially alongside a reflector ;

So it got me thinking about how the parabolic light/reflector works.. since we lose light each time light bounces off anything, how much light exactly are we losing and is it worth losing this efficiency at the amount of reduction in temperature we get using them?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    100% yes ice id rather less light and to much heat directed on the plants. Its not like the sun where it moves heat as it orbits the earth . The artificial light and and heat is often to direct and concentrated.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbag For This Useful Post:

AND (17-06-19), IceCalibur (16-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

Ive currently got, in my veg tent, a CFL horizontally in a cooltube with wings...6" from plants @ 22 degrees

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

IceCalibur (17-06-19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2