Thread: Can anyone identify this bug and what do I do about it?

Thanks

Default Can anyone identify this bug and what do I do about it?

First grow and I'm about 4 weeks in with some autos. They started to flower but I noticed this thing on them. Can only found 1 but I'm really concerned about getting infested with the critters. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    I use to toke, now I take vitamins

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cancangrower For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (24-05-19), G' (24-05-19), Gaz (03-06-19), GEORGE (28-05-19), Greengrass (24-05-19)

3. Default

Hi Cancangrower, that looks to me like a Anthrenus (Anthrenus) scrophulariae, also known as the common carpet beetle..

Carpet beetle larvae do feed on plants, but also fabric around your house..they don't bite however the larval hairs can cause skin rashes and lung irritations.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (24-05-19), curiouscultivator (03-06-19), G' (24-05-19), Gaz (03-06-19), GEORGE (28-05-19), Greengrass (24-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Hi Cancangrower, that looks to me like a Anthrenus (Anthrenus) scrophulariae, also known as the common carpet beetle..

Carpet beetle larvae do feed on plants, but also fabric around your house..they don't bite however the larval hairs can cause skin rashes and lung irritations.
    Hey Ice, thanks for the identification any ideas on how to get rid of them? I found this one up close to a flower, it's about 2 mm in length.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cancangrower For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (24-05-19), G' (24-05-19), Gaz (03-06-19), GEORGE (28-05-19), Greengrass (24-05-19), UpInSmoke1990 (24-05-19)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cancangrower View Post
    Hey Ice, thanks for the identification any ideas on how to get rid of them? I found this one up close to a flower, it's about 2 mm in length.

You're welcome bud, I'm not too sure about getting rid of them... perhaps have a google mate and see what you can find and if you do find a solution be sure to share it here with us!

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Cancangrower (24-05-19), CityDweller (24-05-19), G' (24-05-19), Gaz (03-06-19), GEORGE (28-05-19), Greengrass (24-05-19), UpInSmoke1990 (24-05-19), WF420 (24-05-19)

Thanks

You're welcome bud, I'm not too sure about getting rid of them... perhaps have a google mate and see what you can find and if you do find a solution be sure to share it here with us!
    Will do, a quick search lead to the suggestion to vacuum them up. Brilliant, that should work marvelously . I'll do a better search today and post the results.
    Cheers.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cancangrower For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (24-05-19), curiouscultivator (03-06-19), Gaz (03-06-19), GEORGE (28-05-19), IceCalibur (24-05-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,133 Times

Looks big?! Never seen a beetle like that on my carpet and the place is a tip lol. Looks like one of those thornlike things that hide on,well thorny things
    Pax,o fortunatos nimium,sua si bona norint,agricolas.
    Omnium artium medicina nobilissima est.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to the green meanie For This Useful Post:

Gaz (03-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,801 Times

I like that we have a bug expert in this forum, well done ice

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harryhoudinii For This Useful Post:

Gaz (03-06-19), IceCalibur (03-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harryhoudinii View Post

Ya that was super helpful and I checked the markings and yes carpet beetle it was. As for getting rid of it I plucked the one beetle off the plant and none have returned. If that's the only bug problem I have in this grow I'll be doing fantastic.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cancangrower For This Useful Post:

curiouscultivator (03-06-19), Gaz (03-06-19), IceCalibur (03-06-19)

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by harryhoudinii View Post

Cheers mate but I'm not a bug expert at all, just had experience when I was working at a place which was full of them in their carpet! (I worked there for a day).

Quote Originally Posted by Cancangrower View Post
    Ya that was super helpful and I checked the markings and yes carpet beetle it was. As for getting rid of it I plucked the one beetle off the plant and none have returned. If that's the only bug problem I have in this grow I'll be doing fantastic.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
    You're welcome bud, glad it was helpful and yeah..if this is the only type of bug any of us get then we can be thankful

18. The Following User Says Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Gaz (03-06-19)