Thread: Top-Feed Meltdown

Thanks

Default Top-Feed Meltdown

Comrades

I’ve run into problems with my top feed ring pumps...

I’ve been using a Hailea 480L/H pump to feed my top drip rings..All is great for a couple of weeks, but twice now the pumps have died on me.

The pump runs 24/7 and has 8 rings with about 15cm of drip tube on each ring, they all run via an 8-way manifold.

Both pumps worked great to start, but then started making horrible sounds and stop moving water.

Do I need more power, or is 480L too big and so fighting against the drip rings back pressure?

Any ideas would be greatly received ????

Thanks in advance

RM

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:

British green (29-05-19), GEORGE (28-05-19), Greengrass (29-05-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,745 Times

Cripes! I have no idea...

But, let's deconstruct a little...

You have a pump that feeds 8 plants. Each plant can have 60L/P/H with the pump running flat out, that is minus the pump & distance overheads... is this enough? can you turn your pump down so it isn't at 100% 24/7?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (29-05-19), GEORGE (28-05-19), Greengrass (29-05-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Default Top-Feed Meltdown

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Comrades

I’ve been using a Hailea 480L/H pump to feed my top drip rings..All is great for a couple of weeks, but twice now the pumps have died on me.

The pump runs 24/7 and has 8 rings with about 15cm of drip tube on each ring, they all run via an 8-way manifold.

Both pumps worked great to start, but then started making horrible sounds and stop moving water.

Do I need more power, or is 480L too big and so fighting against the drip rings back pressure?

Thanks in advance

RM
    Generally back pressure isn't a issue with pumps like these as the blade for the pump itself floats and isn't directly attached to the motor. It's driven by a electric current rotating a magnet which is attached to the blade .
    Although this might sound like a stupid question but does ya header tank run dry at all?
    Basically is the pump constantly submerged ?
    Are you using fountain style pump? Or a air pump.
    If it's a air pump ignore the above

in a green and pleasant land
    Last edited by British green; 29-05-19 at 09:18 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-05-19), M_C (29-05-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

That pump is quite small dude . I run 4 on a 550Gallon per hour . I have 3/16" micro valves and a main 1/2 throttling valve for more accuracy if need be .

The head on those small pumps is low . A ft or two and you lose half of your flow and pressure

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-05-19)

Thanks

Thanks BG!

I’ve heard you’re the go-to of all knowledge on and off the planet so appreciate your advice!

Regards the pump going dry, I don’t think it’s possible.. the pump, reservoir and growing tubs all sit at the same height (the pump sits just outside the reservoir - small tank connector and tube runs out to the pump inlet)

It’s weird as I’ve had two of that model do exactly the same thing now, I’m wondering if the cheap plastic bearings just can’t run 24/7 without loosing their stomach.

The other slightly more powerful Haliea doing the recirculating is absolutely fine.

I put the pump outside the reservoir so as not to heat up the nutrient solution, but maybe this is ott??

Thx man

RM

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-05-19)

Thanks

Thx BA

Yeah, maybe a bigger pump....

I might get another of the Haliea’s im using for the recirculating as that seems solid.

Ta

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Comrades

Thanks in advance

RM
    Remove the pump try it on something else se if its ok
    Maybe its fucked ive had a lot go in the middle of a grow - always have a back up on hand

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDickenz For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (25-04-20)