Thread: Over heating in grow tent.

Thanks

Default Over heating in grow tent.

Hi everyone this is my 2nd grow (1st time growing in tent) my temps are reaching 35-37c.
    Growing feminized white widow.
    My grow tent is 1m x 1m x 2m.
    400w hps bulb (1m above plants)
    5" intake fan.
    5" carbon filter fan.
    6" clip on fan
    5" clip on fan.
    All vents are open on the tent, light is off during day time 12-6pm, my ballast box is outside the grow room, lights off temp goes to 23c (1 fan kept on), I'm growing in canna soil, the plants dnt seem to effected but there only 11 days old, there growing well. Currently gotta check on them every 2-3hrs as the heat is drying them out pretty quick, getting a cooling tube reflector arriving on Tuesday, was considering getting a cfl bulb but after alot of reading the good ole hps bulbs seem to still be the best?? Any advice welcome xx

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Budmeg For This Useful Post:

AND (01-06-19), GEORGE (01-06-19), PsyCam (04-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

Unless you are running a fan controller then your fans are mismatched.
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

AND (01-06-19), GEORGE (01-06-19), IceCalibur (01-06-19), Kurdt (02-06-19)

5. Default

Hi Budmeg, Yeah a few growers are reaching dizzying heights with temps lately especially with the beautiful weather we're having lately..

If you're after cooler lights mate then an LED is the way to go..I'm personally (when I can afford) will be investing in LED's for the summer time and will stick with my HPS for the winter months.

There is a brand used here on the forum that many growers are using and very happy with, check them out, they're called Invisible Sun

They are sponsors of the website and have their own section here, so if you have any questions you can write out a post asking them there - Clicky

Good luck bud!

M_C is right, intake needs to be smaller than exhaust fan too!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

AND (01-06-19), GEORGE (01-06-19), Kurdt (02-06-19), M_C (01-06-19), PsyCam (04-06-19), Valentina (04-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post

M_C is right, intake needs to be smaller than exhaust fan too!
    Just to add, a lot of people would think a 5" in & out would be a perfect match. But they forget how much resistance a carbon filter adds - a 5" in & a 5" out would cause positive pressure unless you can reduce the intake....

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

AND (01-06-19), GEORGE (01-06-19), IceCalibur (01-06-19), Kurdt (02-06-19), PsyCam (04-06-19), Valentina (04-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

I have a 200mm exhaust & 125mm intake...current temp is 32 with half my 630CHM on, 51 with both sides

Mind you, it is recirculatimg the air in the room at the moment so could have a bearing on the temp, also its only a 900 tent

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-06-19), IceCalibur (01-06-19), Kurdt (02-06-19), PsyCam (04-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Budmeg View Post
    Hi everyone this is my 2nd grow (1st time growing in tent) my temps are reaching 35-37c.
    Growing feminized white widow.
    My grow tent is 1m x 1m x 2m.
    400w hps bulb (1m above plants)
    5" intake fan.
    5" carbon filter fan.
    6" clip on fan
    5" clip on fan.
    All vents are open on the tent, light is off during day time 12-6pm, my ballast box is outside the grow room, lights off temp goes to 23c (1 fan kept on), I'm growing in canna soil, the plants dnt seem to effected but there only 11 days old, there growing well. Currently gotta check on them every 2-3hrs as the heat is drying them out pretty quick, getting a cooling tube reflector arriving on Tuesday, was considering getting a cfl bulb but after alot of reading the good ole hps bulbs seem to still be the best?? Any advice welcome xx
    Interesting... I'm about to run the same set up as you so could learn alot about cooling here! Specially since I live in a hot place

Sent from my SM-J400F using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PsyCam For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-06-19)

Thanks

The cool bulbreflectors work great for reducing the heat given off by the bulb in the grow area... but it doesn't eliminate the heat, it only moves it to the ventilation exhaust. So the temps inside the tent will be cooler for a while until the builup of heat in the sealed room the tent is in will raise the incoming air's temp. You need to reduce the heat generation, and the best way is to go with LED lighting. I use MH/HPS 1000w lights and they put out a ton of heat that has to go somewhere, requiring a big fan to move the air. Bigger is better for moving air, but the heat still has to go somewhere. CFL lights are great, but they are also pretty hot and lower wattage than a 400 or 600 watt setup. A multi-watt ballast could help a little by dialing down the wattage, but that isn't fixing the problem. Why don't you pot these in something larger, like a 5 gallon bucket? That will help to keep you from checking the water every few hours.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-06-19)

Thanks

From personal experience in the past, you need better fans mate. My 6" fan may move more air than your 6" fan so try and get the best you can. Look at the specifications and compare to see how much air per hour it can shift. Hope you get it sorted mate so your girls can thrive

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Gatherer For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-06-19)