Thread: Nitrogen issues - too much or not enough?

Thanks

Default Nitrogen issues - too much or not enough?

Hi,

I seem to be having a recurring issue with bitalink coco feed, when I used it before it was a one part feed now it’s an a and b all the way through and I can’t seem to get the balance right.

It is 1-2ml per litre for young plants and 3/4ml per litre for adults. I have attached pictures the plants are a couple weeks into flower they are currently getting 3ml per litre but they seem to be clawing all the time which would point at too much nitrogen. But on the same token the bottom leaves are now yellowing which would point to not enough. I have been having to give them a feed and then go in the next day and give them water and okay it by ear like that.

Could anyone advise me on this issue see pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4E428ECF-1109-46F1-A58A-6C1218C2A7EB.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	372837

Name:	29264676-6BB9-4CBC-904B-93D1B80BC4F9.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	372838

Name:	DF5D1726-79DB-4E82-BA5C-FDDC1417454F.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	372836

Name:	A2C1DBA2-9F9C-40B0-9FE5-5C712E95F2CD.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	372839

Thanks in advance for anybody help or guidance given much appreciated

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rigos For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (02-06-19), GEORGE (03-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

This stuff....

You would be better off measuring the Ec of the feed solution to ensure you are feeding an appropriate strength for each stage of the growth...What pH are you feeding ? how often are you water/feeding...Take pics of the whole plant in natural light it's much easier for us to get a better idea of what's going on...

Regards BL

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-06-19), IceCalibur (02-06-19), M_C (02-06-19)

Thanks

Hi bud,

Thanks for your response. If I’m honest I don’t check ec and ph, I just ran the water the day before to let it settle. Feed them every other day around 2 litres but then have been having to add a water feed in the day inbetween COD there up and down one minute look fine next minute clawing.

Thanks in advance for your response, I feel pretty stupid saying I don’t check ec and ph, I didn’t realise you did that with coco I thought that was more for hydroponics.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rigos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bud,

Does the picture attached to this reply Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8E4FA3E6-944F-416B-BEDE-4C804C03AE3A.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	372851help you in any way?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rigos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by rigos View Post
    Hi bud,

Thanks for your response. If I’m honest I don’t check ec and ph, I just ran the water the day before to let it settle. Feed them every other day around 2 litres but then have been having to add a water feed in the day inbetween COD there up and down one minute look fine next minute clawing.

Thanks in advance for your response, I feel pretty stupid saying I don’t check ec and ph, I didn’t realise you did that with coco I thought that was more for hydroponics.

You really should acquire a pH and Ec meter mate the pH for coco should be around 5.8 for veg and up to 6.1 in flower, coco is classified as hydro its passive hydro....You should water/feed daily with plenty of runoff this ensures that the medium is replenished with fresh oxygenated nutrients with each drench.

You may be able to follow the feed guide below at the lower end of the numbers but a Ph meter is essential imo...You might also need to supplement cal-mag too depending on the base Ec of your source water...

Regards BL

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-06-19), IceCalibur (02-06-19), rigos (03-06-19)

Thanks

If the problem is mostly with the bottom fan leaves, it could be the start of a nitrogen deficiency, or it might be as simple as it getting low levels of light if it is under a heavy canopy. Yellowing fan leaves are more common during flowering when the plant uses any stored energy and sugars from old leaves that no longer are needed. I didn't see any obvious problems other than the one necrotic leaf, although one leaf doesn't reveal much. Things look good to me!
    FWIW, I have grown in Promix with some composted manure (about 15-20%) for many years and have yet to have any Ph problems or issues regarding nutrient deficiencies and overdoses. I have a Ph meter but don't need to use it, preferring to observe the plants to determine when they need feeding and water. In my opinion, many of these products are overkill and way overused. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Jimster; 02-06-19 at 07:43 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-06-19), rigos (03-06-19)