Thread: Sealed Room Over Heat!

Thanks

Lightbulb Sealed Room Over Heat!

Hi All,

I’ve got a single 1000w lamp running in a sealed room set up 1.2 x 1.2 tent...

I’m currently having the AC coming on about every 4 minutes for about 1 minute to cool it back to about 24 degrees.

Problem is, not only does this use lots of power it also sucks the moisture out so I’m only achieving about 40% RH on average.

My lamp is vented / hooded - Air coming in from outside and straight through outside again, but I just can’t keep the temp down without AC.

My actual question - If I buy a more powerful inline fan, is it actually possible to suck enough heat away from the lamp, or will the radiation from the lamp always slowly heat up the room and so require AC. If a bigger fan won’t do much I might have to call it a day on the 1000w and settle for 600 instead.

Thanks ????

RM

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

A bigger fan would help with the heat... but probably not enough
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Hi All,

I’ve got a single 1000w lamp running in a sealed room set up 1.2 x 1.2 tent...

I’m currently having the AC coming on about every 4 minutes for about 1 minute to cool it back to about 24 degrees.

Problem is, not only does this use lots of power it also sucks the moisture out so I’m only achieving about 40% RH on average.

My lamp is vented / hooded - Air coming in from outside and straight through outside again, but I just can’t keep the temp down without AC.

My actual question - If I buy a more powerful inline fan, is it actually possible to suck enough heat away from the lamp, or will the radiation from the lamp always slowly heat up the room and so require AC. If a bigger fan won’t do much I might have to call it a day on the 1000w and settle for 600 instead.

Thanks ????

RM
    1000W is a LOT of heat energy to have inside a tent. Some solutions would be to get a smaller bulb or possibly a multi-wattage ballast that allows you to run at 400, 600, or 1000...some will even give you a boost at the expense of bulb life. Another solution is to get something I saw for 1000w HPS bulbs, that keeps the bulb cool enough to touch. I don't know if it somehow sucks the heat out with the inline exhaust, but it keeps the grow area a lot cooler. Rh of 40% shouldn't be a problem... I run as low as 15% in the winter with no problems, just keep hot air from blowing on them. Heat buildup is always going to be an issue in a sealed room, but if you can vent the majority of the light heat outside, you should be good to go!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-06-19)

Thanks

Cheers guys....

You’ve just reminded me that my ballast is dimmable to lower wattages, but didn’t I read somewhere that running a 1000w bulb on a ballast set to 600 is really bad for both ballast and lamp?

Or did I dream that?

Much appreciated

RM

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Cheers guys....

You’ve just reminded me that my ballast is dimmable to lower wattages, but didn’t I read somewhere that running a 1000w bulb on a ballast set to 600 is really bad for both ballast and lamp?

Or did I dream that?

Much appreciated

RM
    I use 1000w mh/hps but have a larger room and ventilation to keep temps down, but running a light below the rated wattage might cause some hardships, although I don't really know. The ballasts that will allow you to dim the bulb, as opposed to the ones that can use different sized bulbs (400, 600, 1000), are designed to under-drive a bulb to the best of my knowing. Maintaining an arc in a 1000w bulb is the X factor, although I think it is do-able. It shouldn't hurt the bulb much, if any. Overdriving it is a little different, as it defiantly stresses bulbs by heat overages.
    On the other hand, although it might cost you a few dollars/quid/pence/dollars, a 600w bulb might make an easier solution, giving you a choice of 2 bulbs and wattages if you ballast will support smaller bulbs thru autosensing features on most of these ballasts. I'm still using the same magnetic ballasts that I've used for 35+ years. I'm too old to change, andI got my money's worth out of them.
    Christ... I'm sounding like my grandfather...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-06-19)

Thanks

I read about someone having heat issues and they began using a series of smaller extraction fans with 3 small fans inside the tent. Combined it was if I remember less than 200w total. Some of these cooling units, like fan heaters can be as high as 2000w. Huge difference between £3 per day and 40p per day

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,284 Times

Fuck the heat,if it’s a sealed room get some proper c02 in there,they will thrive at up to 100 deg with a descent c02 set up,it’s a solution I guess.
    It's nice to be nice.

Thanks

Interesting. Is that like a CO2 auto dispenser type setup?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,284 Times

Quote Originally Posted by e11 View Post
    Interesting. Is that like a CO2 auto dispenser type setup?
    Yeah,I don’t use one but I know ppl who grow in totally sealed environments with no intake.