Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to return to last msg on forums without going thru entire thread?

Thanks

Default How to return to last msg on forums without going thru entire thread?

Most sites I visit will be set up so that whenever I revisit an earlier post I made, The previously visited message is where the new messages normally begin, so that I can review my posts and directly see any new responses. Currently, I can find my earlier posts, but I have to go thru all of them to get to mine. As an example, yesterday I posted on the age of members. I got 5+ replies, but every time I check it, I'm taken to my original post and not the latest post in the thread or the latest reply to an earlier msg
    I'm sure it is just a setting, but is there any easy way to get this so that I don't have to re-read every post again and again when I check earlier messages for replies? As always, any and all help is appreciated.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (05-06-19), G' (06-06-19), GEORGE (05-06-19), M_C (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,882 Times

Try this.... click your profile name (top right)

Click latest started threads...

Each thread with new posts will have a in front of it... if you click it then it will take you to the first unread post in your thread
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (05-06-19), G' (06-06-19), GEORGE (05-06-19), IceCalibur (05-06-19), Jimster (05-06-19), Kurdt (05-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Try this.... click your profile name (top right)

Click latest started threads...

Each thread with new posts will have a in front of it... if you click it then it will take you to the first unread post in your thread
    There HAS to be an easier way to do it, but what you described seems to work only on threads that I started, not the threads that I have commented or participated in. Like this thread I'm typing in now... lets suppose you answer it and I check bac in an hour to see if you have answered it. I can fnd a list of my latests threads that I posted in (such as this one), but when I click on it to see the thread, it ALWAYS takes me to the start of the thread, not the last comment I made on it.
    Since I started this thread, I will have the option that you mentioned in your 1st reply... but if you had started the thread (as an example), I wouldn't have the option to read only the newer posts.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

G' (06-06-19), GEORGE (05-06-19)

7. Default

The way I do it Jimster is to click on my profile, then select 'Find lastest posts' ;

Then find and select the post you made ;

I hope this helps?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (05-06-19), G' (06-06-19), GEORGE (05-06-19), M_C (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,866 Times

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

G' (06-06-19), GEORGE (05-06-19), M_C (05-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    The way I do it Jimster is to click on my profile, then select 'Find lastest posts' ;

Then find and select the post you made ;

I hope this helps?
    Better demonstrated than my explanation

Regards BL

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

G' (06-06-19), GEORGE (05-06-19), IceCalibur (05-06-19), Jimster (05-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    Better demonstrated than my explanation

Regards BL
    Thank you, as that sort of accomplishes what I was talking about, but it is still pretty awkward for me. I typically look at new posts from the main forum menu. If there is a new reply to a post that I am participating in, I click it. When I do this, it takes me to the 1st post in the thread. Following your earlier advice, I would have to click on my avatar, choose the appropriate view, and then choose it from a list of all my other conversations... all to pick up the thread from where I last posted on it. Most other sites automatically remember which posts you are working with, and put you at the last place that you were on the thread whenever you click on it when a new reply is made.
    When someone replies to this thread, it appears in the New Posts section of the Forum menu. If I click on the thread, I want to go to the last post I made on that thread, not the beginning of it. I also don't want to have to search for a conversation every time I change messages and want to return to it. It is normally a setting somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it anywhere unless it is something about the way the site is set up.
    Maybe I'm just making it too complicated, as I can't seem to find an easy way to check for any new posts that might be in my watched threads. Again, I can't just click on my watched conversations and go to the last post that I read. *sigh* It SUCKS to be getting old and feeble!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

G' (06-06-19), GEORGE (05-06-19), IceCalibur (05-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimster View Post
    Thank you, as that sort of accomplishes what I was talking about, but it is still pretty awkward for me. I typically look at new posts from the main forum menu. If there is a new reply to a post that I am participating in, I click it. When I do this, it takes me to the 1st post in the thread. Following your earlier advice, I would have to click on my avatar, choose the appropriate view, and then choose it from a list of all my other conversations... all to pick up the thread from where I last posted on it. Most other sites automatically remember which posts you are working with, and put you at the last place that you were on the thread whenever you click on it when a new reply is made.
    When someone replies to this thread, it appears in the New Posts section of the Forum menu. If I click on the thread, I want to go to the last post I made on that thread, not the beginning of it. I also don't want to have to search for a conversation every time I change messages and want to return to it. It is normally a setting somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it anywhere unless it is something about the way the site is set up.
    Maybe I'm just making it too complicated, as I can't seem to find an easy way to check for any new posts that might be in my watched threads. Again, I can't just click on my watched conversations and go to the last post that I read. *sigh* It SUCKS to be getting old and feeble!

You can subscribe to threads which maybe faster for you to navigate back to...

Regards BL

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

G' (06-06-19), GEORGE (05-06-19), IceCalibur (05-06-19), M_C (05-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,882 Times

We run the forum on Vbulletin software (The Gallery & other hacks are separate) so if you are used to using any other Vbulletin forum then the methods should be translatable

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (05-06-19), G' (06-06-19), GEORGE (05-06-19), IceCalibur (05-06-19), Jimster (05-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    We run the forum on Vbulletin software (The Gallery & other hacks are separate) so if you are used to using any other Vbulletin forum then the methods should be translatable
    I'm not sure what BBS software that the other sites are using, but it is very similar and is probably a regular VBulletin system. I didn't want to mention any specific names, but I know it has to be something really simple, at least based on some of the (much) older BBS systems that used to be dial in at 300 baud. Even though the technology has improved, the software is pretty much the same. I looked for switches on my personal settings and stuff, but didn't see anything, although I will continue to look into the corners.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (06-06-19), G' (06-06-19), GEORGE (05-06-19), M_C (05-06-19)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast