Thread: Need silent growing gear (indoor)

Thanks
    Thanked 4 Times

Default Need silent growing gear (indoor)

Hello growers

Need some help to grow one plant in my bedroom!
    The issues, I live in a shared house and need to keep my room as quite as possible for my music production job, can although afford good gear if stricly needed.

I will need 50x50x100 cm grow tent, led or cob light, (how much watts is good enough for this space?) Was looking at led cob 300W or 600W. I need to keep the electric bill cost as low as possible.

Light fan needs to be mega quite or no light fan at all (I live in UK so some brands in USA are not here or have different name). Any models advice with no fan or super silent?

Is the smell of one plant gonna be crazy?! Can I not use the filter (too much noise I guess)

Will I need an extractor for the heat? I can get a silent extractor I guess?

Will use Coco coir mixed with perlite.

Please let me know how to resolve the noise issue in the best way.

Will bend the plant to maximize growth.

Thank you!
    Cindy

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to THCindy For This Useful Post:

curiouscultivator (12-06-19), G' (12-06-19), GEORGE (09-06-19), Greengrass (12-06-19)

3. Default

Hello Cindy, welcome to the community and nice to have you here

For a tent of that size you can use a 4inch inline fan for extraction and just have a passive intake. I'm not sure on which would be the best in terms of quietest but perhaps someone here will be able to help with some recommendations.

You will most definitely need a filter, you really do not want to skip this part unless you want the whole house to smell of weed lol.

In terms of lights, you could go for an LED light which will keep temps down nicely for you, we have a sponsor here on the forum called Invisible Sun which many have tried and are very happy with, they have their own section of the forum which can be found here if you would like to direct any questions their way - Clicky

If not you could get away with a 150w MH/HPS light bulb in that small space.

In terms of saving money though you really want to invest in the LED as it will save you money on the electricity bill.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

curiouscultivator (12-06-19), G' (12-06-19), GEORGE (11-06-19), Greengrass (12-06-19), Kurdt (11-06-19), Valentina (12-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

Welcome Cindy I go along with Ice here you definitely need an extractor and filter if you can try visiting a grow shop my local one has demo models running and there is no noise from them whatsoever probably be expensive though, and I would definitely try invisible sun they are outstanding lights, drop them a private message and they will recommend one for your needs, good luck, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

curiouscultivator (12-06-19), GEORGE (12-06-19), Greengrass (12-06-19), IceCalibur (12-06-19), Kurdt (12-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,828 Times

Hey welcome! I can't make any good recommendations for you I am afraid just thought of one thing. You mention music and that rings alarm bells.

If you have a finely tuned ear your perception of loud might be entirely different to others (I. E. I sleep next to 40db no problem, main noise is not the extraction but my big round fan circulating air).

If you are sensitive, definitely worth hearing some on demo but then I would also be worried about ambient noise at shops being much louder than at home.

Acoustic fans are good but require space and normally 1.5m of acoustic ducting each side to get full benefits. I was looking at the hyperthresh fans but they are expensive and the air movement still creates noise!

Good luck though and hopefully a resident fan expert will be along to point you in the right direction

One last thing filter is a must BTW imo, they may not stink at the start... Just you wait

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curiouscultivator For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-06-19), Greengrass (12-06-19), Kurdt (12-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,221 Times

Quote Originally Posted by THCindy View Post
    ... I live in a shared house and need to keep my room as quite as possible ...

I will need 50x50x100 cm grow tent, led or cob light, (how much watts is good enough for this space?) Was looking at led cob 300W or 600W. I need to keep the electric bill cost as low as possible.

Light fan needs to be mega quite or no light fan at all (I live in UK so some brands in USA are not here or have different name). Any models advice with no fan or super silent?

Is the smell of one plant gonna be crazy?! Can I not use the filter (too much noise I guess)

Will I need an extractor for the heat? I can get a silent extractor I guess?

Will use Coco coir mixed with perlite.
    Welcome to the forum. We have similar criteria for the set up!!

Height could be an issue at 100 cm but there have been people growing in spaces under kitchen worktop so do have a browse around.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ight=champagne

I use a tent with a smaller footprint with some height to spare, so it can be done.

I use a lamp by a company formerly called Budmaster. They have rebranded now and are called Cropmaster. I am very happy with their product. They are UK Based. The fans on mine are like computer case fans, so they are not that noisy. 90W actual draw for mine is enough for my floor space, which is 40 x 40 cm.

The smell on a plant in flower is pretty crazy (even for just one plant) and an extraction system would be necessary if not mandatory.

A larger diameter fan dialled down with a fan controller may reduce fan noise, but this would be a process of trial and error for your particular needs. I use one made by a company called SMSCOM. People seem to have mixed results.

"Silent" extractors are for bigger systems for mega bucks as far as I know, thought others may know of another way.

As far as carbon filter is concerned, I am sorry but am not in a position to make recommendations as I do not have first hand experience that I can recommend on a longer term basis. For something budget friendly and can last a couple of grows, the RAM filters are okay.
    Last edited by Valentina; 12-06-19 at 09:44 AM.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

curiouscultivator (12-06-19), G' (14-06-19), GEORGE (12-06-19), Greengrass (12-06-19), IceCalibur (12-06-19), Kurdt (12-06-19)