Thread: How many times should I be feeding these!

Thanks

Default How many times should I be feeding these!

Hi people. I have been following the completed diary of missy in the mentor section. Everything is looking ok just now But....
    I am on day 28 of flower and I'm concerned that I haven't defoliated enough. The plants tops are all seeming to pull towards the centre....its making the center of each plant frighteningly dense....got to be a potential for lack of air flow/mood to visit me. Can I defoliate more now? Take off the fluff at the bottom up too the middle. Or could I construct a frame to pull the branches back from the centre of the pot...i think that would potentially solve the problem before it starts. My RH sits at 50-55 so not too bad. These are under 480w quantum board kit dimmed to 380w as seemingly that's what the plants like and it keeps my led board below 40 degrees which I was keen to do.
    Here are a few pics that I took this morning. What advice given my concern do you good people have...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidfa For This Useful Post:

AND (11-06-19), curiouscultivator (11-06-19), GEORGE (11-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

They will always grow to the light but look happy & healthy...you really needed to spread them out a bit more in veg, it will be more difficult to train in flower but not impossible if you have space. I'm not a fan of removing leaves but sometimes its a needed thing especially in flower as rot/mould is always a danger.

What are you growing in ? If its coco, its a daily feed

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

davidfa (11-06-19), GEORGE (11-06-19), IceCalibur (11-06-19)

Thanks

The title of the post must have auto corrected on my phone when I posted this. It should have simply read can I defoliate at 4 weeks. In fact the title is that far out in just not even sure my mad autocorrect could come up with that lol.
    So apologies for the title lol...like I said I have been following the missy thread which was her cocco 1st go...same for me. I do water daily same as her regime.
    But thanks for the answer to the questions anyway. I think I am going to try and pull them out a little from the centre with a bit of string onto side of pot....just a few inches seems like it would make the difference. But annoyed with myself for not being on top of the defoliation pre flower.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidfa For This Useful Post:

AND (11-06-19), Bigdaddy 101 (10-09-19), GEORGE (11-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

I use bamboo sticks and pipe cleaner to stake them out and help with air flow/positioning.

I would also defoliate what is needed at week 4 to help air flow and light exposure.
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

AND (11-06-19), Bigdaddy 101 (10-09-19), davidfa (11-06-19), GEORGE (11-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

They look nice . Feed once a day minimum . And if you notice the pot getting light too quickly . Feed twice .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

AND (11-06-19), Bigdaddy 101 (10-09-19), davidfa (11-06-19), GEORGE (11-06-19)

Thanks

I selectively defoliate a few leaves to make sure that the light is reaching other bud sites that were being blocked before, but I don't remove more than is needed... maybe a half dozen leaves at a treatment. Buds need direct light to grow the best, and losing a few fan leaves shouldn't be a problem. Some folks recommend cleaning out all of the under growth, but I like to leave it on as it still generated energy for the plant... once they start to yellow they are tossed. I grow in Promix and buckets, watering every day or two, depending on how they look. I only feed about once every 10 days, but that is a matter of personal preference from decades of habits. My biggest advice is to go easy on fertilizers and nutrients. An overdose of fertilizer can kill your plant overnight... a deficiency takes 6 months or so.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

AND (11-06-19), Bigdaddy 101 (10-09-19), GEORGE (11-06-19), Greengrass (11-06-19)

Thanks

Could some kind mod please change this threat title to say "Is it ok to defoliate at 4 weeks flower" or something along those lines ? I think my questions have been nicely answered but it will help any others who might be wanting to know the same question.
    Thanks all for the help/answers given.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to davidfa For This Useful Post:

AND (11-06-19), Bigdaddy 101 (10-09-19), GEORGE (11-06-19), Greengrass (11-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Quote Originally Posted by davidfa View Post
    Could some kind mod please change this threat title to say "Is it ok to defoliate at 4 weeks flower" or something along those lines ? I think my questions have been nicely answered but it will help any others who might be wanting to know the same question.
    Thanks all for the help/answers given.
    You can defoliate the bottom 25-30% of your plant where no light reaches . Not a problem there . You can selectively prune a *FEW* upper leaves that block other leaves . But be careful . If you remove to many leaves . You will stunt tour yeild . Them plants need their leaves .. especially the leaves supporting buds ... they are you solar panels

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

AND (11-06-19), Bigdaddy 101 (10-09-19), davidfa (11-06-19), GEORGE (11-06-19), Greengrass (11-06-19)