Thread: Emptying the stork under the canopy (Scrog)

Thanks

Default Emptying the stork under the canopy (Scrog)

Hi guys,

So I’m doing a scrog grow for the first time for a couple of years, I am currently 3 n a half weeks into flowering, the ladies are looking healthier than even after I bought them the fulvic and buddy nutes on top of their usual food.

After 3 n a half week so of flower it is quite obvious to me which nodes are what can only be described as ‘dead wood’
    They are the ones under the main canopy which arnt getting much light and are never guna Ben close enough to the lights to grow anyhing substantial.

I noticed the plants looked a little down with their self and noticed a lot of dead leaves and storks that will bear no fruit so I decide to nip a few off with a simple flick of a Stanley knife where they meet the main stork.

My reason being that I didn’t want the plants to be wasting nutrients on the lower stuff have I done the right thing here’s guys?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rigos For This Useful Post:

G' (14-06-19), GEORGE (15-06-19)

Thanks

When I say healthier than ever I mean until today when I went in and they looked a little down I thought the leaves we’re light green but today I noticed that’s because they were on there way yellow probably a little nitrogen deprived.

Then I checked under the canopy and saw that the issue was a bit worse underneath, due to little light and again probably a little nitrogen deprived. Probably should check under the canopy more often it’s just a little hard with scrog not all of them are so easy to get to

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rigos For This Useful Post:

G' (14-06-19), GEORGE (15-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,830 Times

I always take the lower leaves off. Take a few a day as to not stress the plant. Even leaves in the canopy, a rule of thumb I go by is to remove a leaf if it is covering a bud site and more leaf surface below it.
    When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prime For This Useful Post:

G' (14-06-19), GEORGE (15-06-19), Valentina (14-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

If the leaves are under the canopy i would say you've done the right thing but as Prime says do a few at a time mukka, as far as the yellowing leaves go we need lights off pics and some information brother, all the best G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-06-19), prime (14-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times

If your upper canopy is pale you need to up your N a little mate. Youll get it happening underneath as they struggle to get light.

Ive got 4 under a net atm and have stripped 2 and left 2. I got lazy after the first 2 so stopped but did it more to help lower humidity while i got the dehumidifier running

Theres an episode on Tad Husseys podcast with Dr Allison Justice. She talks about lollipopping, scrogging etc, really worth a listen. Episode 43 of the Cannabis Cultivation and Science podcast

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-06-19), prime (14-06-19), WhIpLaSh (14-06-19)

Thanks

Hi WF,

I recognised this as nitrogen deficiency, it just took a few days as i couldnt see the leaves under the canopy to realise they had gone yellow.

I will be sure to check out the podcast.

Thanks for the info
    Rigos

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rigos For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-06-19)

Thanks

Guys,

In the effort to redirect this discussion slightly i am talking about removing whole stems not just leaves. Reason being my canopy is that dense with node sites and some rather bigger than average buds for 3 n a half weeks into flower so there was weak flimsy whole stems under the canopy that i knew were never going to stretch up to any form of light and hadnt even developed any fruits 3 1/2 weeks into flower so i removed them at the intersection with the main stem and that i want to know about in regards to will the benefit of the nutrients not being wasted on these lower stems be greater than the con of the stress i put the little fellas under for the next few days.

Regards
    Rigos

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rigos For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-06-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,830 Times

Quote Originally Posted by rigos View Post
    Guys,

In the effort to redirect this discussion slightly i am talking about removing whole stems not just leaves. Reason being my canopy is that dense with node sites and some rather bigger than average buds for 3 n a half weeks into flower so there was weak flimsy whole stems under the canopy that i knew were never going to stretch up to any form of light and hadnt even developed any fruits 3 1/2 weeks into flower so i removed them at the intersection with the main stem and that i want to know about in regards to will the benefit of the nutrients not being wasted on these lower stems be greater than the con of the stress i put the little fellas under for the next few days.

Regards
    Rigos
    Ah ok.
    Yes mate I do the same. Some branches aren't worth keeping, ones that can't reach through to the main canopy and the light are a drain on the plants resources

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prime For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-06-19), IceCalibur (14-06-19)

Thanks

Prime,

Thanks for your response.

Short, sweet and definitive. Thanks again!
    Rigos

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rigos For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-06-19)