Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: wick soil grow?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by resi View Post
    p3 - had my eye on this one before flowering because of the deep colours and the lemon pinesol stems. this did not stretch that much after flowering like the rest of the plants. also unlike the others it is growing bud all the way up the stems and not in clusters. although i am hoping it will get more frosty

the smell of the bud though is something wild that i haven't smelled in ages like since the 90's. it is a classic smell that always meant the dankest of the dank it is pure sweet peppermint/spearmint/spice. like straight up with no soap or citrus or any pungency just the most sweet fresh minty complex incense smell that is addicting

p4 - this is the tall wierd plant that has the darkest leaves and strange spindly branches that had to be cut and minimal smell as well as being the healthiest overall plant in terms of sheen. it was late to start budding but the buds are looking nice and they smell like pure sweetness with some spice. turning out to be better than i expected so will have a more interesting decision when time to sample
    Looking great resi and the way you describe the scent of p4...sounds fantastic!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-08-19), resi (14-08-19)

Thanks

thanks again : ) i think you were referring to the p3 description? i meant to say the smell is of the resin not the plant btw since i can't get to hash passion or p3 until harvest

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to resi For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (04-09-19), GEORGE (14-08-19), IceCalibur (14-08-19)

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by resi View Post
    thanks again : ) i think you were referring to the p3 description? i meant to say the smell is of the resin not the plant btw since i can't get to hash passion or p3 until harvest
    You're right..it was of the p3 description

Sounds delicious!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-08-19), resi (15-08-19)

Thanks

5th week flowering and daylight set to 11:20/13:40. pots are all drinking about equal speed now and branches are leaning on other branches. plants are catching up to the rockstar's(?) frostiness especially the p3 minty fresh hybrid pheno thank goodness. the rockstar has pronounced trichome stalks though which make it look more resinous

i realize the rockstar will be the first to ripen followed probably by hash passion then the papayas. hash passion is looking really nice, that and p3 are top contenders

the p4 clone has finally taken and was transplanted 12 days from putting in the cloner with just some kelp water and a sprinkle of rooting powder in the res. all of the clones are safe and sound now and here is a pic of p3, p1 and hash passion from left to right. these are exactly 14 days since taken out of the cloners and it was exactly 14 days before that they were put in the cloners

they are ready for vegging and it is good to know the system is two weeks to clone two weeks to harden like i hoped. just use plain water or dilute kelp water and/or a touch of rooting hormone, whatever. these cloners are the thing that saved me the most worry in this whole process

the clear plastic wicking pots though were wicking way too fast so i just removed two of the four straps in each and will monitor them. i now realize the big pot grill/risers in the main grow area have holes too small for the 1" webbing so they were constricted. next grow will try smaller webbing and also double the number of wicks

also realize i can finally go ahead and water a bit from the top as well as just putting the water in the trays, this especially after top dressing the soil to fertilize. was holding off since i was curious how the plants would grow if only watered by wicking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!5th week flowering1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	374978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!5th week flowering2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	374979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20_p3,p1,hp 4 weeks from clone.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	374980  

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to resi For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-08-19), IceCalibur (21-08-19)

Thanks

edit: daylight was set to 10:20/13:40 not 11:20/13:40

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to resi For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-08-19), IceCalibur (21-08-19)

Thanks

week 6 and schedule set to 10/14. buds and terpenes are developing. there is nice variation between each plant. p4 indica is still the healthiest and shiny as in the picture. i now know what they mean when they say greasy to describe cannabis

p1 sativa though seems to be going through what p3 hybrid went through a few weeks ago where the leaves on the tops of the buds are yellowing. with p3, the green returned and the leaves are looking healthy again and also a bit shiny

with p1 though it seems more intense so will have to see what happens. in veg it did also show overwatering with a general light green-ness of the plant even though it grew the most. it's in the same pot as the rockstar(?) clone which has been perfect so far

on next grow i will have the wicks hang off the edge of the risers instead of underneath so i can see/access the roots as they grow out of the pot at the wick sites and remove them. i believe having roots growing into the reservoirs is not a good thing even though some plants are fine. a few lower fan leaves also have a blade or two partially wilted/necrosis but nothing major

did a 24 hour comparison with 1" and 3/4" webbing and the 1" wicks at about twice the speed. it's a question of matching the container volume with the amount/speed of the wicking material

ie i used four 1" wicks for this grow under the 7 gallon pots which seems to be ok, then tried four 1" wicks under the 1/2 gallon seedling pots and was surprised to see they wicked up all water in the tray in only a few hours which would have been a few days with the 7 gallon pots. i removed two wicks but will now even try just two 3/4" wicks for those pots

Name:	!6th 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	375137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!6th 2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	375138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!6th shiny p4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	375139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webbing from strapworks on amazon.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	375140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	one vs three quarter inch webbing 24hrs.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	375141  

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to resi For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (04-09-19), GEORGE (28-08-19), RASTA (28-08-19)

Thanks

updates on the plants: checked the stems again and p1 has a sharp dill pickle smell, hash passion strong grasshopper spit and rockstar still urinal pucks and soap. p4 stem is slight dill pickle with sugar spice to it

p3 is still the plant to watch for me as the stems smell like spearmnt and the resin is taking on a deeper pine smell. i wish i could get to it to smell the buds. p4 i can smell the buds and they are like sweet scotch tape. p1 is also nice with a fruity essence and hint of grapefruit although the resin has the hemp seed/pepper kick that is a bit wierd

rockstar - this seems to have finished a few weeks ago it got super crystally very fast and has not grown that much since although the trichomes are still mostly clear
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!6th rs.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	375144
    hash passion - it never grew a trunk compared to the other plants yet has the best looking and so far biggest buds

Name:	!6th hp.jpg 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	375145
    p4 - keeps amazing me with the bud production and flawless health. some branches/buds look different than others(?) some leaves are shiny/oily looking. still the darkest fan leaves

Name:	!6th p4.jpg 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	375146
    p1 - looks like it will get through the yellowing top thing that happened to p3 hopefully. bud size seems affected maybe but resin production on buds in direct light is nice

Name:	!6th p1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	375147
    p3 - got sticky like i had hoped all the way down to the shaded/low light buds. neon/dark green colour scheme of leaves on bud tops is amazing and leaves are slightly shiny too. didn't stretch like the other plants but grows well organized and the branches are supporting the buds nicely unlike the taller plants. the resin is the bomb though, it's that minty/piney fresh i have been missing

Name:	!6th p3.jpg 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	375148

14. The Following User Says Thank You to resi For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-08-19)

Thanks

week seven and daylight set to 9:40/14:20. hash passion trichomes are almost there but rockstar is still mostly clear. p1 was too affected by the roots/water situation with burnt tips of the small leaves in the buds and also the calyxes damn. otherwise it should finish ok enough to get a fair sampling

decided to let the trays/roots dry out and just top water until harvest and also removed the mulch discs. i updated the mother/seedling wicking pots similar to how i will do the next run with the 7 gallon pots

i think maybe not to use the mulch discs unless during seedling phase or if the tent is too hot. maybe it is best to speed up the wicking process this way and also to reduce gnats. most importantly will be to have the wicks on the edge of the pots so i can remove roots that try to grow into the saucers

growth wise the p3 ticks all the boxes as well as flavour wise. all other plants stretched like crazy after the light change and took over the garden with 2-3 ft branches going everywhere and small clumps of bud with big spaces between

only hash passion was different in that it didn't grow at all it seemed in veg then tripled in height after the light switch and had little to no trunk development, even though it is producing the nicest bud in the garden and minimal spacing between

i notice now also the hash passion clone is growing slowly compared to the other clones so i hope it isn't the bomb weed because only growing three plants of it could be tricky

Name:	!7 1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	375336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!7 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	375337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	updated wicking pot.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	375338  

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to resi For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (04-09-19), GEORGE (04-09-19)

Thanks

8th week flowering and schedule set to 9:20/14:40. hash passion was cut at 53 days and rockstar at 55. there was almost no yellowing of fan leaves on these plants just a slight fade and thinning of the lower leaves. of the papayas p3 has dropped the most lower leaves while p4 has proper yellowing of a few blades here and there which is nice against the ultra dark green

p1 is recovering with new growth coming out of the middle of the buds. it looks like male flowers but it is new shoots and pistils. also it smells like grapefruit now. p4 keeps looking better and might also be a good yield but will have to see on the potency. p3 looks to be the best yielder this crop though with heavy pine/spearmint resinous flowers

i gave three clones and the original plant of the rockstar to a friend to grow on his deck in the spring and i just saw them and they are incredible. one grew with a tall sparse structure like mine and is still a few days from finishing but the others are about four feet and ripe with near two foot long arm sized colas o_o and wonderful brown and purple hues

the smell and appearance is so robust and sweeter than my cut. it is really bad ass looking weed with giant colas and a wild aroma flowing off the garden. wish i had taken a picture of the plants : / he had some la confidential going too that was about three feet with gigantic fan leaves but was not near ripe yet

under metal halide the rockstar has a pungent aroma and radioactivity exposure level trichome production far outpacing not only the outdoor version but everything in my garden as well. it was good to see some of the outdoor rockstars growing giant colas though so i now know what is possible with this plant

we smoked a bud that had dried on the plant that he had sitting on a shelf and it was almost overwhelming with zooming physical effect and a thoroughly enjoyable and long lasting high and fresh tasting smoke. the update on the genetics is he got seed from a bag of toronto dispensary rockstar x blueberry, then grew it outside and crossed with nine pound hammer

also just heard back from nirvana about the lineage of papaya and they said to go with what is on the site and that the lines would not have changed over the years. so everything on the internet is wrong about it lol

Name:	!7 rs.jpg 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	375565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!7 p3.jpg 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	375567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!7 p4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	375566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!8 updated updated wick pot(only one layer of wick).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	375564  
    Last edited by resi; 12-09-19 at 01:29 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to resi For This Useful Post:

Bigdaddy 101 (12-09-19), GEORGE (12-09-19), IceCalibur (12-09-19)

Thanks

p4 cut at 59 days and p1/p3 at 63 days. p1 and especially p3 are the most fragrant in drying so far. p1 is grapefruit perfume and p3 is skunk coffee

trimming hash passion covered my fingers with enough black resin for two small blades however i could not taste the smoke and almost felt nothing before smoking some other weed. whereas the most resinous in the garden rockstar produced only a trace amount of light green resin on my fingers. in the jar hash passion left trichomes stuck to the glass also

the smoke of the rockstar has some flavour already, and walking into a cloud is like a funky motel lobby mixed with horrible sanitation product and cheap cologne. the exhale of a blade is a classic one of fresh leather i haven't tasted in years with an acrid citrus

however, after doing some smoke testing after 3-ish days in the jars it is the hash passion that is the winner. it hits hard and fast, pushing the chest back and the body into a warm bath. the smoke in a joint is super harsh though so far, in blades it is nicer. rockstar takes much more to kind of get high and it is vague and early. strange because the outdoors was great and had much more amber

so unless things change thats one down and now looking at how the hash passion will stand against the papayas. i am looking to grow two strains to avoid tolerance build up and to have more than one buzz but i don't know how i would grow hash passion since it barely grows in veg. got mid 30g (trimmed before jarring) from these first two plants with hash passion at 68% seed weight and rockstar 58%. the papayas look to be yielding about 1/3 to 1/2 more will see

on my hunt to science these wicking pots i found not only 1/2" webbing but also 3/8" from a place in alberta. 3/8" seems perfect to try on the seedling pots since things could be slowed down even more from the current 3/4" strip. i will do a side by side 24h water test again with all the wicks to compare

got the next round of clones going with the cloners. i noticed sometimes clones taken from tops will droop for the first day after cloning and it was also common when using soil. however one of them stayed drooped and i realized the wicks in the cloner were being pinched, so i cut the slits a bigger and it is perfect again. actually all of the cloners i made are way too tight will have to update the others also

i took a few clones from the middle of the man stem which you can see in the picture. i remember those as taking longer but staying healthier, sort of sure shot clones. they don't have the same hydraulic pressure as clones from tops so they almost never droop or wilt too

Name:	mother clone chamber.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	375724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new clones.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	375725  

20. The Following User Says Thank You to resi For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-09-19)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast