Thread: Germination issues

Thanks

Default Germination issues

Hi all. New to the forum. Need some help with germination.

I have been having serious issues with germination not happening. I soaked then paper towelled 5 seeds (2 fast 2vast autos) and none have popped. I even moved some into jiffies and they haven't gone. Is this just a dodgy batch? Too wet? They have been nice and warm and damp in the paper but haven't gone at all.

I managed to taproot some cookie monsters a few weeks back with this method but the seedlings all died off (although I have worked out this was to excessive wetness). One bcn critical XXL is alive and kicking but struggled to start well, again because of over watering. I have since transplanted it and it is picking up.

I'm assuming I just had bad luck with these seeds but thought I'd take some advice from you dudes.

Cheers!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THCMoose For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-07-19), Greengrass (07-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,776 Times

How long have they been germing for?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-07-19), Greengrass (07-07-19), IceCalibur (07-07-19)

Thanks

11 or 12 days

ish

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to THCMoose For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-07-19), Greengrass (07-07-19), M_C (07-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,170 Times

I’ve had around 98-99% sucess rates with this method.

You need cling film, two small plates the same size and a airing cupboard, and some luke warm water and toilet roll/kitchen roll.

Take your plate, place it on the size pull of 6 squares of bog roll and place 3 on the plate soak lightly with luke warm water pop seeds onto it place more toilet roll on top of seeds soak lightly again put other plate ontop, and cover the lot with some cling film make sure its all totally covered, place plate into some blanket(s) wrap it round so itll be warm and place into a warm area (airing cupboard works real well for me) check after 24hrs, if no signs of crackage leave in for another 24hrs.
    My Wonderful world of mystery —> https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...rld-of-mystery

If I or anyone else has answered your question in the growing questions and answers section please mark it as "Answered". It helps keep the forum tidy!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SyRaX For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-07-19), Greengrass (07-07-19), Jumper114 (07-07-19), lipnobody (07-07-19), M_C (07-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

I swapped methods from the paper towel to the following :-

Place seed into a wine glass full of tap water. Leave for 8 hours and gently push seed. If it sinks remove and place directly into your growing medium. If it does not wait an hour and repeat.

I then put the seed now in a small biodegrade pot into a sandwhich bag and place in airing cupboard or on top of satellite box. (Depends how many seeds I have going)

I use a biro and plant the seed at 1” then lightly cover.

I found this more reliable for me.

Edit : once germinated I cut the base off the biodegradable pot, plant in forever pot. Removing the base ensure the seed does not stall.

The pot degrades in a week or so.
    Last edited by Jumper114; 07-07-19 at 03:31 PM.
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-07-19), Greengrass (07-07-19)

Thanks

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try both methods from now on.

So y'all reckon these ones still wet paper towelling at 12 days or so just headed for the bin? I have a feeling they're goners...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to THCMoose For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-07-19)

Thanks

Try my method before throwing, you’ve got nothing to lose

Quote Originally Posted by THCMoose View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. I will try both methods from now on.

So y'all reckon these ones still wet paper towelling at 12 days or so just headed for the bin? I have a feeling they're goners...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SyRaX For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-07-19)

Thanks

Just wondering if you tried my method, if so did it work? I can’t see the sense in chucking seeds before trying everything you can before hand

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SyRaX For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-07-19)

Thanks

Yes I did try your method, thank you. Checked today and the paper towels have gone all discolored and still no roots. I think they're hosed. ??

18. The Following User Says Thank You to THCMoose For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,201 Times

once lost lots of real nice seeds because I stored them in a cupboard drawer, had good results since I started keeping all seeds in my fridge from the moment they arrive. last year I went back to planting seeds straight into compost in small pots, takes the same amount of time to sprout as other methods but now I don't need transplant from paper to compost

20. The Following User Says Thank You to happyjack For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-07-19)