Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shade

Thanks

Default Shade

Question for the outdoor growers, I've always grown indoor and this is my first time out so bear with me...

What I want to know is if the sun is completely blocked but the sky is still visible to my plants, are they photosynthesising? In my case at a certain point in the day a building blocks my grow, which isn't an issue because the plants are in 13-14+ direct sunlight, however I want to force flowering and have built a screen to fit over my polytunnel. I plan to cover the plants at 19:30 each night and uncover them when the sun has completely set (anytime after 21:30).

The reason I ask about the plant not having direct line of sight with the sun, blocked by the building, is because if they are effectively in a period of dark due to this is there any need for the shade?

Cheers for any input!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IanBeal For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-07-19), ToughCall (29-07-22)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

Quote Originally Posted by IanBeal View Post
    Question for the outdoor growers, I've always grown indoor and this is my first time out so bear with me...

What I want to know is if the sun is completely blocked but the sky is still visible to my plants, are they photosynthesising? In my case at a certain point in the day a building blocks my grow, which isn't an issue because the plants are in 13-14+ direct sunlight, however I want to force flowering and have built a screen to fit over my polytunnel. I plan to cover the plants at 19:30 each night and uncover them when the sun has completely set (anytime after 21:30).

The reason I ask about the plant not having direct line of sight with the sun, blocked by the building, is because if they are effectively in a period of dark due to this is there any need for the shade?

Cheers for any input!
    Yes the cloud will not block UVA + UVB etc. You still get a tan on a cloudy day for instance.

The main difference is temps - in direct sunlight temps rocket 40-50C easily for a 30C day.
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-07-19), IceCalibur (13-07-19), ToughCall (29-07-22), UpInSmoke1990 (13-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by IanBeal View Post

Cheers for any input!
    There's something being asked that I'm not understanding... so, let me try & help where I can.

If there is sunlight, direct or indirect then photosynthesis will occur. What, I think, you are asking is do the plants need to be out of direct sunlight or have total dark to flower. The answer is total dark.

Probably not quite what you were asking but I try
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (13-07-19), GEORGE (13-07-19), IceCalibur (13-07-19), ToughCall (29-07-22), UpInSmoke1990 (13-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

I
    Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    There's something being asked that I'm not understanding... so, let me try & help where I can.

If there is sunlight, direct or indirect then photosynthesis will occur. What, I think, you are asking is do the plants need to be out of direct sunlight or have total dark to flower. The answer is total dark.

If that is the question - moon and star light would bugger things royally.

Just grow autos and don’t worry!

Edit : autos will flower under any lighting schedule. Be warned they will flower regardless of their statue. The first three weeks make or break an auto.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (13-07-19), ToughCall (29-07-22), UpInSmoke1990 (13-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper114 View Post
    I

Often wondered that myself when I hear equipment LED has caused a hermie....

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

AND (13-07-19), Cleargreen (13-07-19), GEORGE (13-07-19), Jumper114 (13-07-19), ToughCall (29-07-22), UpInSmoke1990 (13-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Moonlight/starlight doesn't bother them the plants have known that rhythm for god knows how long now and it's build into their genetics.
    But to answer your question, no being shaded by a building does not mean you can start counting dark hours, it needs to be much darker then that.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-07-19), ToughCall (29-07-22), UpInSmoke1990 (13-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,174 Times

Often wondered that myself when I hear equipment LED has caused a hermie....
    I think wavelength plays a role here as well.

I'm willing to bet that multiple people have already tried to mimic the moon cycle indoors by now.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cleargreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-07-19), IceCalibur (13-07-19), M_C (13-07-19), ToughCall (29-07-22), UpInSmoke1990 (13-07-19)

Thanks

Yes the cloud will not block UVA + UVB etc. You still get a tan on a cloudy day for instance.

The main difference is temps - in direct sunlight temps rocket 40-50C easily for a 30C day.

Not the cloud mate but a full on structure, like a building, surely UV rays aren't penetrating that? Then again I'm no scientist.
    Last edited by IanBeal; 13-07-19 at 11:18 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IanBeal For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (14-07-19), GEORGE (14-07-19), ToughCall (29-07-22), UpInSmoke1990 (13-07-19)

Thanks

Thanks for the effort, the way I've worded it might have made it hard to understand... I'm special like that and it's even worse when baked. Apologies!

What I mean is my plants are completely blocked by a building from 19:30 onward even though the sun is still in the sky albeit behind the house. Like I said I've got something constructed to cover it I was just wondering if it's necessary considering the sun isn't hitting the plants, at least in my opinion. Is a blue sky still classed as indirect sunlight? Think I've been thinking about this too much and should just run with the cover haha!

Edit: I recognise your username, I'm sure you tried to help one time with a plant I had way back... good to know this community is still alive. Had some ups and downs over the last few years and starting to get back into growing.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IanBeal For This Useful Post:

2hot 2trot (03-05-20), Cleargreen (14-07-19), GEORGE (14-07-19), M_C (13-07-19), ToughCall (29-07-22), UpInSmoke1990 (13-07-19)

Thanks

I

Just grow autos and don’t worry!

Edit : autos will flower under any lighting schedule. Be warned they will flower regardless of their statue. The first three weeks make or break an auto.
    Autos definitely have their advantaged but I wouldn't be sitting on near 4ft plants in veg if I had.

Are you saying the moon/stars will bugger my flower?

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IanBeal For This Useful Post:

Cleargreen (14-07-19), GEORGE (14-07-19), ToughCall (29-07-22), UpInSmoke1990 (13-07-19)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast