Page 52 of 223 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 152 ... LastLast

Thread: Chit Chat - Anything goes!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RASTA View Post
    Right. Patch that idea then lol. N how are you supposed to know where cables n pipes are behind walls?
    A was just hoping up in the corners n al be fine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Generally speaking pipes and cables are ran vertically from the point the come out of the wall . So if you see a plug socket the cable is either running vertically up from there and into your ceiling or running vertically down into the floor and similarly with pipe work .
    Sometimes cables can be run horizontally for ring mains etc etc.
    So for rule of thumb don't drill vertically above or below a plug socket or horizontally left or right of the plug socket.
    You can buy for a reasonable price a cable/pipe and stud finder

Like most things in life you buy really cheap you'll probably buy twice. I have a Bosch one cost around 40 notes and it works really well.
    AND can probably clear this up a little better than myself

in a green and pleasant land

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-08-19), Ironman (18-08-19), lipnobody (18-08-19), RASTA (18-08-19), Sadface (18-08-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    Generally speaking pipes and cables are ran vertically from the point the come out of the wall . So if you see a plug socket the cable is either running vertically up from there and into your ceiling or running vertically down into the floor and similarly with pipe work .
    So for rule of thumb don't drill vertically above or below a plug socket or horizontally left or right of the plug socket.

Like most things in life you buy really cheap you'll probably buy twice. I have a Bosch one cost around 40 notes and it works really well.

I use a lidl finder. Cost £16 I think. Some of these new build houses throw the rule book out the window pmsl. I was fitting shelves in a built in cupboard last week and the heating pipes ran diagonally across the back wall and the wiring was set vertically crossing them in the middle of the wall ffs.

I even check lintels before fitting curtain tracks these days. Nothing surprises me amymore. I've had central heating pipes placed inside an RSJ before now, fucking lunatic builders lol.

Sent from Thames Iron works

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

AND (18-08-19), British green (18-08-19), GEORGE (18-08-19), lipnobody (18-08-19), RASTA (18-08-19), Sadface (18-08-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

Generally speaking

I've had copper pipes at 45° angles, coils of plastic pipe pushed into the cavities, hose pipe & jubilee clips where couplers should be...cables 'just about' plastered/fillered over with no mechanical protection at all...stretched cables running diagonally across studs

A detector is a good start...they can sometimes give false indications though depending on depth of pipework/cabling and I would avoid the cheap ones like the plague...I spent £300 on a Bosch D-tect 120 and even that tells lies sometimes...metal stud walls are a pain in the arse as are plastic pipes

RASTA, any chance of some pics mate...feel free to PM them if you don't want in the forum

I know I've said I'm ok to travel but Glesga...bit of a trek

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

British green (18-08-19), GEORGE (18-08-19), IceCalibur (18-08-19), Ironman (18-08-19), lipnobody (18-08-19), RASTA (18-08-19), Sadface (18-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    I use a lidl finder. Cost £16 I think. Some of these new build houses throw the rule book out the window pmsl. I was fitting shelves in a built in cupboard last week and the heating pipes ran diagonally across the back wall and the wiring was set vertically crossing them in the middle of the wall ffs.

I even check lintels before fitting curtain tracks these days. Nothing surprises me amymore. I've had central heating pipes placed inside an RSJ before now, fucking lunatic builders lol.

Sent from Thames Iron works
    I feel your pain mate...amount of times I've heard 'I am professional builder from Romania, I very good' which translates as 'I will fuck up your home and charge you lots'

I have soooo many pics of so called 'professional installations' from Eastern European builders

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

British green (18-08-19), GEORGE (18-08-19), IceCalibur (18-08-19), jake420 (18-08-19), lipnobody (18-08-19), M_C (18-08-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 59,501 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    Generally speaking

I've had copper pipes at 45° angles, coils of plastic pipe pushed into the cavities, hose pipe & jubilee clips where couplers should be...cables 'just about' plastered/fillered over with no mechanical protection at all...stretched cables running diagonally across studs

A detector is a good start...they can sometimes give false indications though depending on depth of pipework/cabling and I would avoid the cheap ones like the plague...I spent £300 on a Bosch D-tect 120 and even that tells lies sometimes...metal stud walls are a pain in the arse as are plastic pipes

RASTA, any chance of some pics mate...feel free to PM them if you don't want in the forum

Glesga aint that far from England m8. Only a few centimetres on a map lol.
    Al send you a pm in a minute AND.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RASTA For This Useful Post:

AND (18-08-19), British green (18-08-19), GEORGE (18-08-19), IceCalibur (18-08-19), jake420 (18-08-19), lipnobody (18-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RASTA View Post
    Glesga aint that far from England m8. Only a few centimetres on a map lol.
    Al send you a pm in a minute AND.

It was the last 3 times I went mate...310 miles from me and my van only does 65

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

British green (18-08-19), GEORGE (18-08-19), IceCalibur (18-08-19), jake420 (18-08-19), lipnobody (18-08-19), RASTA (18-08-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    Generally speaking

I think we all would have had a few horrific stories to tell about dodgy builds and builders hence the reason I said a stud finder and a AND is needed.
    My industry has its fair share of horrific engineers who know absolutely nothing about the job it doesn't help that there's no apprenticeships/ official training and it's not even a recognised trade
    But would any of you try to hang 300kilos or more on four two inch screws and four brown plugs to a plasterboard ceiling and not even screw into the joists?? Well that's what the polish builders did

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

AND (18-08-19), GEORGE (18-08-19), jake420 (18-08-19), lipnobody (18-08-19), RASTA (18-08-19)

Thanks

I think we all would have had a few horrific stories to tell about dodgy builds and builders hence the reason I said a stud finder and a AND is needed.
    My industry has its fair share of horrific engineers who know absolutely nothing about the job it doesn't help that there's no apprenticeships/ official training and it's not even a recognised trade
    But would any of you try to hang 300kilos or more on four two inch screws and four brown plugs to a plasterboard ceiling and not even screw into the joists?? Well that's what the polish builders did

2x10 screws & brown plugs, lol...the industry standard

Not met many Polish builders...lots of Sparks though...37 50w halogen GU10's on 50v bellwire...11Kw shower on 4mm cable which melted first time customer used it...12 2 gang sockets in an office with no earth at all...

Most recent...5 Showers...5 Electric ovens...5 Electric hobs...20 2 gang sockets & 15 lights in a HMO...Everything was working fine until all flats were filled and then problems started...main fuse kept blowing around 5-6pm and the Polish sparks had no idea why but kept replacing it with 6mm cable wrapped around the carrier...they tried for 2 days to sort it out, must have gone through 20m of cable 'fuse' and then ran off

So many faults from innadequate meter tails...to the main one...who knew you cannot pull more than 100A through a 60A fuse and at 5-6pm when everyone has finished work...having a shower...cooking tea etc. this is exactly what is happening 105A measured...
    Last edited by AND; 18-08-19 at 02:10 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

British green (18-08-19), GEORGE (18-08-19), lipnobody (18-08-19), RASTA (18-08-19)

Thanks

The way to locate decent proficient workers is your matter of the hour Sad. .How the hell can I begin looking for legit workers alternatively of those damn cowboys?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LynBarrera For This Useful Post:

AND (18-08-19), GEORGE (18-08-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,075 Times

Quote Originally Posted by LynBarrera View Post
    The way to locate decent proficient workers is your matter of the hour Sad. .How the hell can I begin looking for legit workers alternatively of those damn cowboys?
    we just ask AND !
    skin it roll it lick it twist it.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lipnobody For This Useful Post:

AND (18-08-19), British green (18-08-19), WF420 (18-08-19)

Page 52 of 223 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 152 ... LastLast