Thread: germination and or bad seeds

Thanks

Default germination and or bad seeds

Hello
    Im wondering if any one has had a problem with germination, I thought at first it was me. so i went to three different sellers to just test out my theory, Now dont get me wrong it could still be me. But i dont think so. I have allways used till latley the two plate and paper towel germination.. Has allways worked in the past.. But as of my last three orders all different with all different germination. The best i came up with is a inch of stalk no leaves... Oh and yes have disinfected and checked for bugs. So if any of you wonderful people can help id be very thankful

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaine For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-07-19), Greengrass (26-07-19), Mac (26-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 25,492 Times

Never bothered with paper towels. The plants in nature don't use them so I don't either, not to say it wont work, I just saw it as an unnecessary step

I just drop the seeds into a mason jar of un-PH'd tap water, leave em in a cool dark place till they sink or split, usually 18-24 hours. Then straight into the medium im growing in with some Great White Mycorrhizae in the seed hole. Bury the seed about 15mm deep, cover it but dont compact it and use a spray bottle of tap water to keep the medium moist.

Most pop in 2-3 days, some take a little longer but not had a failure yet.

Good luck

NO SELL, NO SMELL, NO TELL!!!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-07-19), Greengrass (26-07-19), IanBeal (26-07-19), Jumper114 (26-07-19), kaine (26-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,808 Times

Maccajuana's method is the one I have settled on using.

Paper towel was fine, and then I had a spate of bad runs.

I do think some seeds just won't pop, even from the likes of Mephisto.
    Current Grow (3L coco autos) : Jumper's 2020 shenanigans

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-07-19), Mac (26-07-19)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper114 View Post
    Maccajuana's method is the one I have settled on using.

Paper towel was fine, and then I had a spate of bad runs.

I do think some seeds just won't pop, even from the likes of Mephisto.
    Oh without a doubt, some seeds def will not pop whatever method used..it's just nature really, some were never destined to be unfortunately, but it's the rate of these 'dud's (one of the factors,) that set's apart a good breeder from a bad one depending on their methods.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-07-19), Jumper114 (26-07-19), kaine (26-07-19), Mac (26-07-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaine View Post
    Hello
    Im wondering if any one has had a problem with germination, I thought at first it was me. so i went to three different sellers to just test out my theory, Now dont get me wrong it could still be me. But i dont think so. I have allways used till latley the two plate and paper towel germination.. Has allways worked in the past.. But as of my last three orders all different with all different germination. The best i came up with is a inch of stalk no leaves... Oh and yes have disinfected and checked for bugs. So if any of you wonderful people can help id be very thankful
    Sounds like the best you've had is a snapped seed, try stick with basics... plant the seed in the soil after soaking it for 24 hours (if you use warm water do it for 12). After soaking the seed should be starting to show signs of life, only little ones but still signs, the shell should be opening ever so slightly at this point put it in the soil and leave it about half an inch under the soil and it'll pop up in the next 1 - 3 days. I've never used any method and haven't had any issues, patience is the key.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IanBeal For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-07-19), kaine (26-07-19), Mac (26-07-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,454 Times

I only so the paper towel method as it means I can keep the seeds nice and warm. I worry they'll be too cold in the tent

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silkadin For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-07-19), Mac (26-07-19)

Thanks

Big thank you to everyone that' s replied.. i shall try again

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kaine For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-07-19), Jumper114 (26-07-19), M_C (26-07-19)