Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Root Aphids attack cash strapped gardener . HELP!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,454 Times

the possible issue. They have had no other complaints in the last 1500 bags they have sold but went as far as to review their practice
    and the possibility of contamination in storage specifically with RA in mind. Apart from there being occasional chunks of rotting wood in their
    product which they are looking to get down to 0%

This part I find puzzling but sounds more like a compost than a soil
    These 1500 happy customers are happy weed growing or leeks and cabbage growers?
    In a garden its all hunkey dorey, pests eat pests but take one lot indoors and give 3 squares a day under the warmth.. Them mother Fuckers are gonna party on

Any soil that may contain anything rotting can cuddle me plums and do one
    All just me chewing me gums you understand
    Atb
    Last edited by Greengrass; 31-07-19 at 08:44 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

CheapSeats (31-07-19), curiouscultivator (31-07-19), GEORGE (31-07-19), IceCalibur (31-07-19)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    the possible issue. They have had no other complaints in the last 1500 bags they have sold but went as far as to review their practice
    and the possibility of contamination in storage specifically with RA in mind. Apart from there being occasional chunks of rotting wood in their
    product which they are looking to get down to 0%

This part I find puzzling but sounds more like a compost than a soil
    These 1500 happy customers are happy weed growing or leeks and cabbage growers?
    In a garden its all hunkey dorey, pests eat pests but take one lot indoors and give 3 squares a day under the warmth.. Them mother Fuckers are gonna party on

Any soil that may contain anything rotting can cuddle me plums and do one
    All just me chewing me gums you understand
    Atb
    Could not agree more, and if you really think about it..why would they tell you if they did have people complaining?..it's something the majority hide so their claim of no complaints can't be taken as 100% truth.

*Disclaimer* - lol of course they could be telling the truth, BUT if it were me, to rule out the possibility..on the very next run you make after cleaning your area within an inch of its life, purchase another brand from another shop and THEN if you get those pesky pests back at least you can rule that out!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

CheapSeats (31-07-19), curiouscultivator (31-07-19), GEORGE (04-08-19)

Thanks

Hi again.

The soil is Tropic Batmix brought at Growell , its a peat and coco mix and sometimes ( I dont think it's uncommon) there can pieces of bark
    or decomposing matter found in the peat , they say it is wood free but possibly not completely.

Do you have any suggestions for my next go round of a soil that would be better? Thing is that before this i moved over from Bio bizz (heavy
    mix) and was really pleased with a slight increase in yield and general health , I put that down to there being a good amount of coco , making it
    a kind of soil/hydro hybrid

The guys there are generally really helpful and i've been shopping with them for about 7 years so they value the repeat business I'm sure
    Your right it's entirely possible they wouldn't tell me but then why bother with the big story and ringing me up at home to tell me that .
    I do think your right though to suggest moving over to a new source for my next run just to make certain.

The other issue is that these root aphids can live in walls and under floor boards and hibernate for years at a time . so even with different soil i
    cannot be sure they are not returning from somewhere inside my room. Appreciate the input guys , thankyou .

***NO LINKS***

CS
    Last edited by M_C; 01-08-19 at 04:18 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CheapSeats For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-08-19)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    Hi again.

The soil is Tropic Batmix brought at Growell , its a peat and coco mix and sometimes ( I dont think it's uncommon) there can pieces of bark
    or decomposing matter found in the peat , they say it is wood free but possibly not completely.

Do you have any suggestions for my next go round of a soil that would be better? Thing is that before this i moved over from Bio bizz (heavy
    mix) and was really pleased with a slight increase in yield and general health , I put that down to there being a good amount of coco , making it
    a kind of soil/hydro hybrid

The guys there are generally really helpful and i've been shopping with them for about 7 years so they value the repeat business I'm sure
    Your right it's entirely possible they wouldn't tell me but then why bother with the big story and ringing me up at home to tell me that .
    I do think your right though to suggest moving over to a new source for my next run just to make certain.

The other issue is that these root aphids can live in walls and under floor boards and hibernate for years at a time . so even with different soil i
    cannot be sure they are not returning from somewhere inside my room. Appreciate the input guys , thankyou .

-Removed external link from quote-

CS
    Yep, you may well be right and they are simply 'hibernating' then crawling into your pots (still doesn't sit quite right with me), so trying another brand and shop entirely would at least rule it out

BTW external links are not allowed here, just so you know for future reference.

Last edited by IceCalibur; 31-07-19 at 09:34 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

CheapSeats (31-07-19), GEORGE (04-08-19)

Thanks

Whoops.

Thanks for the heads up Ice. Diddn't know that . I'm not an affiliate or anything just thought it might help with identification.

CS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CheapSeats For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (04-08-19)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2