Thread: Made A Big mistake! Homemade Vinigar based pesticide

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 1

Default Answered: Made A Big mistake! Homemade Vinigar based pesticide

I've really damaged my plant. It had spider mite.. Caught it early tho.... But I read about somones homemade pesticide with white vinager, baking powder water and dish soap .... So I Made it, sprayed it on in haste and now my plants almost dead. Within 20 mins it was wilted and the wax on the leaves was stripped off and leaves started curling upwards. Its a decent size and there is still some foliage that's not compleatly damaged, the roots and stems and branches seem Fine.. So do I trim off all the leaves which are all damadge and hope it sprouts some new ones?..... I am Growing outdoor UK so its very close to flowering time. Is it worth trying to save this plant basically??? Any help and info would be great. So gutted bout my plant... Peace. MRPUKKA X

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
    PiKiT-PaKiT-FiReItUp

JAck/BlUeS Grow 2 plus 4 12/12 from seed - DONEWITH

2. "Vinegar is very effective weed killer often used by gardeners as a substitute for chemical herbicides....I'd be surprised if that plant survives

Regards BL"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrpukka For This Useful Post:

hotshot (03-08-19), Jumper114 (03-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,485 Times in 2,430 Posts
    Provided Answers: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Mrpukka View Post
    I've really damaged my plant. It had spider mite.. Caught it early tho.... But I read about somones homemade pesticide with white vinager, baking powder water and dish soap .... So I Made it, sprayed it on in haste and now my plants almost dead. Within 20 mins it was wilted and the wax on the leaves was stripped off and leaves started curling upwards. Its a decent size and there is still some foliage that's not compleatly damaged, the roots and stems and branches seem Fine.. So do I trim off all the leaves which are all damadge and hope it sprouts some new ones?..... I am Growing outdoor UK so its very close to flowering time. Is it worth trying to save this plant basically??? Any help and info would be great. So gutted bout my plant... Peace. MRPUKKA X

That sounds quite some mix. Reckon it would take my skin off to!

Could try a good wash with water to clear the leaves. Dilution and all.

Worth a shot.

Curious, any spider mites left?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), Valentina (03-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper114 View Post
    That sounds quite some mix. Reckon it would take my skin off to!

Could try a good wash with water to clear the leaves. Dilution and all.

Worth a shot.

Curious, any spider mites left?
    I did wash the leaves three times after with alot of water.... May have helped a bit but there all buggerd really lol. And from what I can see no spider mites... Which is mayb a good thing.... Mayb my plant will recover. What u think? Will try Puttin pic up

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrpukka For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), Jumper114 (03-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,485 Times in 2,430 Posts
    Provided Answers: 16

I did wash the leaves three times after with alot of water.... May have helped a bit but there all buggerd really lol. And from what I can see no spider mites... Which is mayb a good thing.... Mayb my plant will recover. What u think? Will try Puttin pic up

Yeah a photo will be good.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jumper114 For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19)

10. Default

Oh damn, that sounds like a recipe for disaster and you've witnessed the results!..I hope she pulls through fo you Mrpukka

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), Mrpukka (03-08-19), Valentina (03-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,639 Times in 3,281 Posts
    Provided Answers: 3

im pretty sure yer supposed to dilute the mix before spraying.
    Your final mixture, once the fizzing has stopped, could be either basic, alkaline, or neutral, depending on the proportions of the ingredients! if it was highly acidic it will burn your plants!
    skin it roll it lick it twist it.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lipnobody For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), Jumper114 (03-08-19), Mrpukka (03-08-19), Valentina (03-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lipnobody View Post
    im pretty sure yer supposed to dilute the mix before spraying.
    Your final mixture, once the fizzing has stopped, could be either basic, alkaline, or neutral, depending on the proportions of the ingredients! if it was highly acidic it will burn your plants!
    Yea I did water down bit obviously not enough. Proper gutted. But we'll see... The plant may come Back from it... If not its a valubal lesson learnt I spose. X

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrpukka For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19)

Thanks

Couple pics.... Can anyone advise me. Weather or not to trim the leaves off that are compleatly fucked....??? Then mayb feed it? Someone please give me A bit of advise here cause I do wanna save this plant. But I don't trust my own judgment at the mo after almost killing it. Thanks for Any help x

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrpukka For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), IceCalibur (03-08-19)

18. Default

As much as I would like to say keep striving forward, I think she's pretty much cooked, prob not worth to continue with her

Wait for other opinions though!

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), Mrpukka (03-08-19), Valentina (03-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 64,945 Times in 16,741 Posts
    Provided Answers: 475

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), IceCalibur (03-08-19), lipnobody (03-08-19), Mrpukka (03-08-19), Valentina (03-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,867 Times in 2,588 Posts
    Provided Answers: 5

If you can take it out to the garden, or if you have a "safe area" in the bathroom, and if that was my plant, I would practically shower it from above with plain tepid or "room temp" water, then spray the undersides with plain water too. Let it dry and keep my fingers crossed. No strong lights and just let the poor thing chill. She has had enough shocks already and trimmin goff the leaves will shock her some more. She has made up her mind what leaves to drop, let nature takes its course.

I had a similar experience with a bamboo plant once, same pest too. Wiped the mites off with a damp cloth with very diluted dish soap and still the plant died.

Good luck, hope your experience has a better ending than mine.
    Fight for your health.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), IceCalibur (03-08-19), jingo (14-08-19), Mrpukka (03-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    If you can take it out to the garden, or if you have a "safe area" in the bathroom, and if that was my plant, I would practically shower it from above with plain tepid or "room temp" water, then spray the undersides with plain water too. Let it dry and keep my fingers crossed. No strong lights and just let the poor thing chill. She has had enough shocks already and trimmin goff the leaves will shock her some more. She has made up her mind what leaves to drop, let nature takes its course.

I had a similar experience with a bamboo plant once, same pest too. Wiped the mites off with a damp cloth with very diluted dish soap and still the plant died.

Good luck, hope your experience has a better ending than mine.
    I will try this and hope for the best. Thanks for your reply x

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrpukka For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), lipnobody (03-08-19)

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 4

The plant is burned pretty badly, but should recover. It will take a while to regrow the damaged leaves and might stall growing for a week or so. The problem with these homemade concoctions are what you got... a bunch of stuff that is thrown together with little regard to what it is going to do to the plant. I would recommend a pyrethrin based fogger (flea bomb) for inside spider mite issues. I had them and their damage doesn't show up until they have nearly destroyed the plant, so treat it early. Pyrethrins are made from crushed flowers and is fairly safe for use, breaking down quickly. I found that it is best to treat mites with two different products, such as a Spinosad product alternating with Pyrethrin. Of course, this is only my opinion and recommendation.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimster For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), lipnobody (03-08-19), Mrpukka (03-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimster View Post
    The plant is burned pretty badly, but should recover. It will take a while to regrow the damaged leaves and might stall growing for a week or so. The problem with these homemade concoctions are what you got... a bunch of stuff that is thrown together with little regard to what it is going to do to the plant. I would recommend a pyrethrin based fogger (flea bomb) for inside spider mite issues. I had them and their damage doesn't show up until they have nearly destroyed the plant, so treat it early. Pyrethrins are made from crushed flowers and is fairly safe for use, breaking down quickly. I found that it is best to treat mites with two different products, such as a Spinosad product alternating with Pyrethrin. Of course, this is only my opinion and recommendation.
    Great reply thanks alot mate!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrpukka For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (04-08-19), hotshot (03-08-19), lipnobody (03-08-19)

Thanks

She's recovering!!!! This plants been threw hell but keeps on recovering. Stinking too lol.... Doubt it'll will bud much tho but still keeps me Company xx

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrpukka For This Useful Post:

hotshot (13-08-19), IceCalibur (13-08-19)

32. Default

She's recovering!!!! This plants been threw hell but keeps on recovering. Stinking too lol.... Doubt it'll will bud much tho but still keeps me Company xx

Nice one Mrpukka, glad to read she's made it!..as you say might not get much from her but if she's making you happy then why the hell not hey

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceCalibur For This Useful Post:

hotshot (13-08-19), Mrpukka (13-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCalibur View Post
    Nice one Mrpukka, glad to read she's made it!..as you say might not get much from her but if she's making you happy then why the hell not hey
    Thank mate! Yea life's stressful. These things ease mood even to look at x

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrpukka For This Useful Post:

hotshot (13-08-19), IceCalibur (13-08-19)